The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Bexley Owners Club 2009

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:46

I just joined this forum so I offer up this review of a recent acquisition.

First Impression:9/10

This pen is my first Bexley. I was ordering a Nakaya celluloid pen and figure if I’m getting one pen why not get two. The ebonite body of the pen caught my eye so I ordered this pen in olive. The pen arrived in a standard Bexley box with the all important Bexley owner’s registration card. Out of the box, the polished ebonite catches the eye and the pen feels really good in the hands. The first thing I noticed was how light the pen was given it's size.

Appearance:9/10

The most attractive and beguiling aspect of the pen is beautiful ebonite. The pen has a very attractive satin sheen that is very smooth to the touch. The two-tone nib fits the trim very nicely. The fit and finish of the metal trim is good but not necessarily the best. This is a minor point since it doesn’t detract from the ebonite. The machining of the ebonite was first rate. There is almost no gap between the cap and the barrel when the cap is screwed into the body of the pen. The pen is engraved with with the name of the pen series an the number of the pen in the series. The engraving is low key and the font fits the style of the pen. The lettering is a bit small but this helps not to detract from the rest of the pen. The pen captures a very classic look. If you are looking for something avant garde or plain weird, I would look somewhere else.

Design/Size/Weight:10/10

The pen is on the large size of medium being the largest pen I own. The ebonite is extremely light and makes this pen the lightest I own. Fully loaded with ink, it is a tad lighter than my Omas Orange/Blue Bologna and the Nakaya Jade celluloid that I own. The pen is extremely comfortable to hold and has a balanced feel both posted and unposted. The ebonite gives this pen a distinct feel that is different than celluloid or resin. Definitely very different than my Graf von Faber Castell Guilloche and Caran d'Ache Ecridor Chevron which are slim and hefty.

From left to right: Graf von Faber Castell Guilloche, Nakaya Jade Celluloid, Platinum Koi Celluloid, Bexley 2009 Owners Club, OMAS Bologna, Caran d'Ache Ecridor Chevron, and Pilot Custom 74

Nib:10/10

This pen has a 18 k two tone nib. I ordered this pen with a fine nib and it was tuned by John Mottishaw. The nib size is typical for a western/europoean fine and lays down a nice wet line filled with Pilot Iroshizuku Shin Ryo-ku. The nib writes buttery smooth when using a light hand. Using a little more pressure, there is a a touch of feedback. I find this pen writes a bit smoother than my Omas Bologna and comparable to my Nakaya Jade celluloid. Both the 2009 Bexley Owner’s Club and the Nakaya were tuned by John Mottishaw so that may be the reason. There is a bit of flex in the nib but no one will mistake this for a true flex nib.

Filling System:9/10

This pen uses a cartridge/converter system so not much to say here. Everything works as advertised. If this pen were a piston filler, the weight balance would be different, so a C/C system is not a bad idea if you like a nice light pen. Using this pen with a cartridge would yield an incredibly light pen.

Cost and Value:9/10

This category is almost as subjective as aesthetics. This is not an inexpensive pen but the total package was well done and the ebonite finish does really stand out.

Conclusion:9/10

This pen is an excellent writer with a nice balance for a sizeable pen. This is a really comfortable pen to use because of the shape and weight. This has become my current daily writer. This was my first Bexley so I had no strong expectations.

2019 San Francisco Pen Show        
August 23-25th, 2019
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

Sponsored Content

#2 Ken W

Ken W

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:51

Thanks for the review. I have been waiting for a review of this pen, and pleased to hear that you are enjoying it.

Best regards,

Ken

#3 ianmedium

ianmedium

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:14

That is an exquisit pen you have there, Ebonite is such a wonderful material !
All the best.
Ian

Mont Blanc Alfred Hitchcock, Mont Blanc 149, Montegrappa Historia Limited editon 410/1000, Sheaffer imperial 777, Prker 51 special, Parker Duofold senior special, Stipula Tuscany dreams piston with 1.1 italic 036/351, incoming: Stipula Tuscany dreams T-flex. Incoming: Parker 51 Vac

#4 FrankB

FrankB

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,345 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 18:17

I have been waiting for a review of this pen model, and you did it very well. Thank you.

The ebonite is lovely. I just assumed the pen would write well, but it is good to have confirmation.

#5 hardyb

hardyb

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 February 2009 - 18:22

I received one in the red and black ebonite with a Bexley stub nib. Love it! Very nice performer. Borrowed photo below:
The Danitrio Fellowship

#6 Rufus

Rufus

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 February 2009 - 18:43

I love my 2009 in red/balck ebonite with a luscious medium nib. The styling of the pen is exquisite and it feels very well balanced in my hand unposted (I don't post any of my pens). As with all my other 28 Bexleys, it is a joy to behold and to write with.
Bryan

"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes." Winston S. Churchill

#7 Frits B

Frits B

Frits B

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 February 2009 - 19:31

I would not have rated appearance as 9/10, for the simple reason that I cannot understand why it should be so obvious that the barrel is made out of three slices, not counting the section. This can not only be felt but also seen as the pattern is not continuous. This pen is essentially the same pen as the Parkville Pen LE of 2004 where the barrel is in one piece and the pattern in the ebonite even continues on the section.

In all other respects I can fully agree with this review smile.gif .

#8 JFT

JFT

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 15:28

Thank you for the review and congratulation for a beautiful pen. I have yet to buy my first Bexley but pen like these make me wish to get it fast so I can get an owner club afterward laugh.gif
Lamy AL-star - 1.1 (Omas Violet)
Nakaya Celluloid Mottishaw F Flex (PR Arabian Rose)
Omas Bologna - M (Noodler's Golden Brown)
Pelikan M620 Grand Place - Binder XF/XXF Flex (Noodler's Navajo Turquoise)
Stipula 22 - 0.9 (Waterman Florida Blue)
Waterman Patrician - M (Waterman Florida Blue)

#9 MidnightBlue

MidnightBlue

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,154 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 02:44

When I got mine all I could see was the join. Bexley responded very promptly explaining the technical reasons for the join . Now I have no concern. (By the way, that nib is a dream)

Edited by MidnightBlue, 15 February 2009 - 03:03.

#10 MidnightBlue

MidnightBlue

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,154 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:16

QUOTE (MidnightBlue @ Feb 15 2009, 01:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I got mine all I could see was the join. Bexley responded very promptly explaining the technical reasons for the join. I quote,"Too long to properly cut as one piece. It will deflect at this length, material and diameter. Also, to balance the two piece look that must be in the cap for it to work.) So, there you go. (By the way, that nib is a dream)

#11 IDP

IDP

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 19:10

This is my first Bexley pen and I bought it from Richard Binder. It is absolutely beautiful and writes incredibly well. On a scale of 1-10 this pen is a solid 9.

Also the lightness of this pen is simply remarkable given its size. I recommend this pen and Bexley highly.

#12 MidnightBlue

MidnightBlue

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,154 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 00:28

Just thought I'd drop you all a line I received from Bexley about the join in the rubber.
"Too long to properly cut as one piece. It will deflect at this length, material and diameter. Also, to balance the two piece look that must be in the cap for it to work."
I'd like you thoughts.
Thanks

#13 Frits B

Frits B

Frits B

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:50

QUOTE (MidnightBlue @ Feb 23 2009, 01:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just thought I'd drop you all a line I received from Bexley about the join in the rubber.
"Too long to properly cut as one piece. It will deflect at this length, material and diameter. Also, to balance the two piece look that must be in the cap for it to work."
I'd like you thoughts.
Thanks

For what it is worth: the barrel of the Parkville Pen 2006 LE is just as long but slightly thinner, and in one piece. Its cap is in two pieces like the BOC's but hardly visible as the pattern hides the join better. I don't really mind the join in the barrel, but it would have been nice if it were less obvious, that's all. As it is, the Parkville Pen's LE just looks better finished. Both pens are excellent writers, no doubt about that.

BTW, if it wasn't clear already, both pens are hard rubber, so it's not a matter of plastic vs. hard rubber.

Edited by Frits B, 24 February 2009 - 11:53.

#14 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2009 - 20:26

a superb pen wink.gif
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#15 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 02:50

Woops! Accidently killed the pics while trying to reduce the size.

I've re-posted the pics in a smaller size.

P1010827.jpg

P1010835.jpg

P1010845.jpg

P1010850.jpg

2019 San Francisco Pen Show        
August 23-25th, 2019
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

#16 Peter from Sherwood Park

Peter from Sherwood Park

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,973 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:10

Thank you for this review -- it looks like a great pen!

Sponsored Content

|