Comparing the Pelikan Souverän Series

vision35

I've been searching for a table or article that compares the pens in the Souverän Series. If that does not exist, I'd love to hear any comments her on how the features difer among the models..

I've seen nice photos comparing pen size, as you go from M200 up to M1000. But what else differs as you spend more money? The 600 seems very popular, but when you go to the 800 and 1000, you get more brass in the piston filler mechanism.

For example, if the 600 sounded right for me in terms of size, but I read that the 800 offered higher end materials and a fancier nib for X dollars more, that would be an interesting comparison in choosing a pen.

Also, what's the diference between series pens that end in 00, like a 600, and the ones ending in 05, like the 605.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dillo

• Richard

• vision35

• bobioden

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, what's the diference between series pens that end in 00, like a 600, and the ones ending in 05, like the 605.

I have to confess that I am unable to answer most of your questions, but I do know that the 05 series refers to pens with silver trim and clip vs the gold trim and clip.

Speaking of which have you (or anyone) seen the 805 solid blue? Very nice!

Jim

Jim Couch

Portland, OR

For me, the 600 size is perfect for my hands. I do not worry one bit about plastic vs brass on the 800 & 1000 because both feel too big for me and the mechanism is flawless either way. Pelikans are high-quality pens, with larger sizes you also get bigger nibs.

Pedro

Looking for interesting Sheaffer OS Balance pens

Hi,

The M150, M200, M600, and M400 nibs are interchangeable. Just set the nib of the 600 deeper for the other pens and set the 200 and 400 nibs two MM deeper for the 150. 150 nibs can fit all of the pens mentioned.

The M300 has the most robust collar system of any Pelikan nib unit that I have ever seen, and it is thick metal with a very snug fit. The M800 has the stiffest Pelikan nib.

The M800 and M1000 use brass fillers while the M600, M400, M200, M300, and M150 use plastic fillers.

The M150, M200, M600, and M400 pens hold the most in ink capacity. The M300 hold about the same as the M800 and more than the M1000.

The M200 and M150 have stamped clips while the M300, M400, M600, M800, and M1000 have die cast clips.

The M300 is one of the most precisely made pens of the Pelikan series.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

The M200 and M150 have stamped clips while the M300, M400, M600, M800, and M1000 have die cast clips.

Dillo,

I´ve just checked my M400, and its clip is stamped, as are the ones on my 200s. My M400 is an older model (one cap ring, no ring near the filling knob); is the cast clip a feature of the more recent models? (along with more rings, and a two-tone nib)

Rique

Hi,

I am talking about the new Pelikans. :)

Things have changed over the years...

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Are there any markings on the the pens that would distinguish the M400 from the M600? Or is it just by feel and knowing that the M600 is slightly larger than the M400.

Bob

Edited by bobioden

Hi,

The feeling and look are obviously different. I can't use an M600...I use M300

Dillon

Dillon

I'm sorry, but this is not correct. I'm an authorized Pelikan retailer. All of Pelikan's current Souverän and Tradition production, except possibly the M300, which I have not had occasion to see recently, uses stamped clips, not die cast.

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

Hi,

I have seen all of the models by the way. How would you know if it is stamped or die-cast? From what I see, the clip of the Souverän pens are thicker metal with the word "metal" on the underside, and the imprint on the bottom of the clip does not correspond with the top. The Tradition pens are thinner metal, and all of the imprints on the top of the clip corresond with the bottom of the clip, and the clip looks stamped. These are all brand new pens. :0

Dillon

Dillon

Are there any markings on the the pens that would distinguish the M400 from the M600? Or is it just by feel and knowing that the M600 is slightly larger than the M400.

Bob

So, there are no marking on the M400 or M600 to tell them apart? Lets say I was at a fleamarket and picked up a Red/Black Stripe Pelikan, not knowing for sure which one it is, there woud be no way of telling which it was?

Bob

How would you know if it is stamped or die-cast?

Look at the underside a little more carefully, as I did with pens in my inventory (including an M620 Piccadilly Circus, an M625, and an M450) just before making my earlier post. You will see, on the clip ball, a clearly visible seam between the two halves of the formed stamping. if you look more carefully, using magnification, you can see the cut edge of the stamping along the formed-down portion of the long sides of the clip.

Edited by Richard

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

Hi Dillon,

Actually, if you take the clip off, you can see it is stamped. It is easy to do, although not recommendable if you don't have a repair reason to do so.

And all Pelikan clips are stamped.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Hi Dillon,

Actually, if you take the clip off, you can see it is stamped. It is easy to do, although not recommendable if you don't have a repair reason to do so.

And all Pelikan clips are stamped.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

Hi,

Ok, thanks! Both of you. :) :doh:

Dillon

Dillon