How Many Have Multiple Townsends?

Russ

"Vastly underrated" says it all. I can't recall many (or any) posts saying the same thing about well-known German or Italian brands. I enjoy pens from these makers, but I don't remember anyone calling them "vastly underrated."

... so why is it that this American company is quietly appreciated yet generally underrated? Yes, Cross is quite conservative in design and appearance. Yet the performance is unquestionable. Is it just that the public is looking for performance and stylish design & appearance?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Russ

• tutelman

• GARY UK

• jslallar

"Vastly underrated" says it all. I can't recall many (or any) posts saying the same thing about well-known German or Italian brands. I enjoy pens from these makers, but I don't remember anyone calling them "vastly underrated."

... so why is it that this American company is quietly appreciated yet generally underrated? Yes, Cross is quite conservative in design and appearance. Yet the performance is unquestionable. Is it just that the public is looking for performance and stylish design & appearance?

All things considered, I think they probably represent the best value for money pens out there.

Hello from GB :thumbup:

I have a Black Laque made in U.S.A. older style Townsend with a M nib. Also a Blue Quartz Townsend with M nib but in the process of selling in on fleabay. Enjoy :roflmho:

Is that the nice blue one with steel trim I've been contemplating? Nice pen! CROSS TOWNSEND FOUNTAIN PEN STUNNING QUARTZ BLUE LAQUE

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

I have a Cross Townsend Titanium herringbone with a broad nib.....and it really is as solid as a rock - I would even go as far as to say that the Townsend is tougher than the Lamy 2000.

I saw one of the titanium herringbones in a local store not so long ago and was quite struck by it. Might have to take it home at some point.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

I'v got 2, a boxed titanium and a mint triple set chrome with gold coloured trim in leather case. The FP for the triple set has a super broad nib. Likely to be off loaded soon as I'm consolidating my PFM collection so swaps maybe!!

I like the Cross but they are too heavy for me. I have used for years the smaller and lighter Century and love them, these are staying.

I am also a member of the Townsend fan club and also the Century II fan club. Having multiple models of each I have a Townsend and Century II Medalist in my rotation. The Townsend is a great pen and for a classicly styled nib, is very contemporary and all made out of brass with a great feel of mass when writing.

Avatar painting by William-Adolphe Bouguereau (1825 - 1905) titled La leçon difficile (The difficult lesson)

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another vote for the Cross Townsend--I have the lapis fountain pen and a ballpoint and love them both. Now I'd like to have the Ruby lacquer Townsend fp! "Vastly underrated" is a very apt description for this fine pen.

I have a Jade Rollerball and a Chrome medium FP. At one point I also had a sterling silver FP but it fell out of my planner at a store and I lost it! That one particularly hurt, as it was an anniversary gift from my wife.

I started with an 18Kt Gold filled Townsend ball point pen. I swear because of it's mass, weight and balance, it feels smoother to write with than my other pens using the same refill. Then I got a Sterling Silver Townsend fountain pen with medium two toned rhodium plated gold nib that is so smooth and reliable. And my latest is an older but new Townsend Sterling Silver ball point pen, that I came across at a gift store in Jasper AB of all places. I couldn't resist so I got that too. It came in the old green cross boxes with felt lining and has Cross USA stamped on the cap. I've seen a jade Townsend at a store recently, so who knows, Christmas is only 9 moths away!

I have 2 - one medium and one board. Both solid writers. The board is particularly delightful but it could use an extra ink capacity.

I am just worried about the corrosion of the section ring.

Sounds like it's a good time to exercise that legendary Cross Lifetime Warranty. :)

If you contact them they will advise you what to do next.

I write, therefore I...write a little more.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

I have a total of 6 Townsends --- 2 ball points ( Medalist & 18kt gold ) , 1 roller ball ( Jade) , and 3 FP ( 10kt, 18kt, and a sterling silver). All are good performers.

The 2 FP in 10kt gold and Sterling silver has been to RI for a visit to the repair center for the $10 treatment. They were suffering from corrosion and the service center exchanged the old with new barrels for me. How can you beat that for lifetime warrantee ?

I actually have 15 Townsends :embarrassed_smile: Every time I think my collection is complete I run accross another finish I just have to buy. The collection includes both the Lapis and Jade as well as the Sterling and 18K gold filled. All the nibs however are either 14K or 18K. In general, most of mine are M nibs with a smattering of F's but my favorites are the B's I've had reground as stubs or cursive italics by Mr Binder or Pendemonium.

THE PENS ARE HEAVY HOWEVER. If your idea of a perfect pen weight is along the lines of an OMAS Ogiva or Sheaffer Balance II (which are similarly sized) you will not be happy with the Townsend. This is especially true if you like to use your pens posted as the majority of the pen's weight is in the cap and the pen becomes weighted away from the nib end when used posted. The length and shape of the pen however is perfect IMHO when used unposted and this is the way I always use them.

I think I can honestly say that Cross pens as a brand in general and Townsends in particular are pens that have NEVER given me trouble out of the box - more than I can say of a lot of others I own

"Ink isn't dead...It just smells funny"

• 2 years later...

QUOTE (Russ @ Feb 14 2009, 03:12 AM) "Vastly underrated" says it all. I can't recall many (or any) posts saying the same thing about well-known German or Italian brands. I enjoy pens from these makers, but I don't remember anyone calling them "vastly underrated."

All things considered, I think they probably represent the best value for money pens out there.

they are underrated probably because

1. most of the FPNers go for celluloid and consider that the ultimate in pen material. Townsends are ofcourse metal.
  2. they are c/c fillers where as FPNers would go for piston fillers
  3. Townsends are a size unto themselves, thick long and heavy which may not suite those who want lighter weight pens.

any ways, I love them. I have 5:

1. medalist, B steel nib
  2. tango, B steel nib,
  3. 18K gold M gold nib
  4. sterling silver B gold nib
  5. tango? black lacquer body with gold cap, M gold nib

i want a slate and silver tango for my next buy.

Enjoy your pens

Have a nice day

Junaid

Look at it on the bright side. So long as Cross pens are underrated, Townsends will sell for lower prices than they might otherwise. That has certainly been the case for me. I own the seven Townsends listed below, most bought new on eBay from sellers who raided the Rhode Island outlet, and bought each of them for less than $100.00.

1. Cross Townsend 18K Gold filled 18K M

2. Cross Townsend Citrine 18K M

3. Cross Townsend Jade 18K M (bi-color nib)

4. Cross Townsend Jade 18K OM (gold nib)

5. Cross Townsend Platinum 18K M (bi-color nib)

6. Cross Townsend Ruby 18K M (bi-color nib)

7. Cross Townsend Titanium Herringbone M

I too am a multiple Townsender ;)

Great reliable pens and at the last count I had six and would like to add the titanium gunmetal, the blue one that reminds me of Faberge and, :drool: the lapis lazuli. I am not a fan of the harsh chome finsih though but I do have one of the Medalist style.

I'm glad they are underrated because it means I can still afford them :thumbup:

Chris

3 actually - all smooth as silk. A little wet but I have mediums so I might look for a fine for my fourth. This pen would be absolutely perfect is they lessened the weight in the cap. I prefer to write posted - and its very top heavy. Im sure if they lessened that weight (hope they're listening) they would have perfection. As it stands the pen is not in balance for posters. Nibs are terrific, flow is fine, never had any trouble whatsoever - replacement guarantee is superlative. All in all an American pen to be proud of - and I'm a Canadian. (just lessen that cap weight a few grams)

interesting discussion.

Edited by Bill Wood

The comparison between the Lamy 2000 and the Townsend is apt; both are very durable, good writers. The Lamy has one key advantage, which is ink capacity.

and the Lamy 2000 is balanced. Lighter and balanced.

I have only one townsend -- a medium in the brown lacquer. I've discovered that if when you post the cap, you do it so that the clip is pointing at about 4 or 8 o'clock (with the top of the nib as 12 o'clock) the weight of the pen is better balanced. Or you use it unposted,if you prefer.

All this praise and here I am trying to sell my one and only Townsend. Maybe I should keep it afterall.

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.