How Many Have Multiple Townsends?

Russ

My palate for FP's has reached the point where my taste is in the $750 range, but my good judgment is still (far) below $500. $250 is better yet.

I have identified a few pens I want to try (Marlen Basilea, Stipula Ventidue), but I keep feeling this nagging draw back to The Perfect Pen: the faithful, the reliable, the under-appreciated Townsend. There is the Ruby, the Citrine, the Garnet ... all nice colors. And I can envision having one of each, representing the various widths: XF, F, M, B. And then there are stubs waiting to be created, too.

I wonder how many others find the Townsend to have just the right nib, feed, weight, and balance, that they keep coming back to it and buying more. Anyone?

I just don't have two of anything, and it seems kinda pointless to double up when there are other brands and models to experience.

What is your experience?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Russ

• tutelman

• GARY UK

• jslallar

I can appreciate your fondness for them. I'd dearly love to own a second one, but I'm still at the stage where I'm only feeding the addiction little tidbits at a time. No doubt I will certainly end up with multiple Townsends, but all in the fullness of time.

I write, therefore I...write a little more.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

My English language teacher had a couple of Townsends he would bring to class and oooh and aaah our class with. I was allowed to use it a couple times. They are, at first glance and afterwards, stunning pens. Classical shape, beautiful finish, and some of the best nibs for the price. But they are really heavy pens. Heavier than the Sheaffer Legacys. Which still is more of a personal preference than anything else.

I have five Townsends with a variety of nib sizes - some steel and some gold. I love them all. They never fail to write even after being unused for an extended time. The gold nibs are pretty, but when it comes to the writing experience, I can't tell any difference between steel and gold.

Judybug

So many pens, so little time!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

My Blog: Bywater Wisdom

Very fine pens and certainly a bargain much of the time. I can only use them unposted, however. Posting the cap makes them quite "top-heavy" for me and that fouls up my penmanship.

Love the Cross lifetime warranty!

Have Camera....Will Travel....Wire SigSauerFan AT Hotmail DOT com

Inveterate trader. Send me a note for my list of pens, watches, knives and other fun things for sale or trade....

The Danitrio Fellowship

:happyberet: The Townsend shown here and bought in 1989 was my first FP and I think that it is a fine writing instrument. A few years ago, I saw a Townsend in Lapis Lazuli and decided against buying it, a decision I've regretted ever since. That was a beautiful FP!!!!! :rolleyes:

Henrico

I've been contemplating getting another. My only complaint is that the section is a wee bit narrower than I like, but I like the nib enough that I'm happy to overlook that.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

I have been thinking of purchasing a sterling silver Townsend, with 18K gold nib. However, I can not find the weight of the pen and don't know if I want to pay the price. Cross says #380.00 but I have seen them cheaper.

Cross joined a few other pen companies in starting the nasty practice of forcing retailers to sell at or near MSRP. So now most retailers list them at MSRP. You can still find the occasional good deal when there are special semi-secret sales (e.g., with coupons) or when a shop liquidates its Cross brand (possibly as a consequence of this policy).

My palate for FP's has reached the point where my taste is in the $750 range, but my good judgment is still (far) below $500. $250 is better yet.

I have identified a few pens I want to try (Marlen Basilea, Stipula Ventidue), but I keep feeling this nagging draw back to The Perfect Pen: the faithful, the reliable, the under-appreciated Townsend. There is the Ruby, the Citrine, the Garnet ... all nice colors. And I can envision having one of each, representing the various widths: XF, F, M, B. And then there are stubs waiting to be created, too.

I wonder how many others find the Townsend to have just the right nib, feed, weight, and balance, that they keep coming back to it and buying more. Anyone?

I just don't have two of anything, and it seems kinda pointless to double up when there are other brands and models to experience.

What is your experience?

Hello from GB :thumbup:

I have a Black Laque made in U.S.A. older style Townsend with a M nib. Also a Blue Quartz Townsend with M nib but in the process of selling in on fleabay. En route, a trade of a U.S.A. Townsend Medalist RB. Had one before, sold it and missed it hence the trade. I'm chasing up a Townsend in Lapis Lazuli, again, had one and let it go....boo hoo!! Overall, great daily writes with style, always reliable and don't cost the earth. lifetime warrenty etc etc

Enjoy :roflmho:

I have three Townsend pens. My favorite is the Titanium model in fine nib. Very hefty and good feeling in my hand. I don't think they are perfect, but I enjoy using them. /Craig

A consumer and purveyor of words.

Co-editor and writer for Faith On Every Corner Magazine

Magazine - http://www.faithoneverycorner.com/magazine.html

:happyberet: GARY UK............you let go of your Lapis Lazuli :bonk: How could you do such a thing :bonk:

Henrico

I'm working on buying/trading wit 2 possible leads right now :thumbup:

Gary

Sorry for the late followup. A top-down upgrade destroyed my connection, but my service provider made a personal visit to my house and got me back up and running. It's nice to have a relationship with a local company!

It's also nice to see that many others appreciate the Townsend.

Bearcat is right: "Very fine pens and certainly a bargain much of the time ... Love the Cross lifetime warranty."

Thanks for the photo, henrico!

From Stylo: "Cross joined a few other pen companies in starting the nasty practice of forcing retailers to sell at or near MSRP. So now most retailers list them at MSRP. You can still find the occasional good deal when there are special semi-secret sales (e.g., with coupons) or when a shop liquidates its Cross brand (possibly as a consequence of this policy)."

I agree: I have had a terrible time trying to find a Townsend in Ruby for under $250. I don't want to wait years before it becomes obsolete and more affordable, but I may not have much choice unless I happen to find one used on ebay.

One variation I would like to try would be a Townsend with a broad nib, ground to a nice stub. Mmmmmmm...........

I think your rating of 27.5/30 was fair. I, too, would like to see at least a larger converter ... mindful that it would require Cross to stock a third converter, introducing another layer of complexity. Beyond that, the pen is -- yes -- not exactly exciting, but a nearly flawless performer and absolutely reliable. Hard to not like it.

I have a Cross Townsend Titanium herringbone with a broad nib.....and it really is as solid as a rock - I would even go as far as to say that the Townsend is tougher than the Lamy 2000.

If theres only one mild criticism of the Townsend.....it's the weight - even when unposted....

...but it's a small price to pay for such a workhorse pen...

Does anyone feel theres a difference in writing between the Gold Plated Medallist Nib and the 18K nib ?..

The comparison between the Lamy 2000 and the Townsend is apt; both are very durable, good writers. The Lamy has one key advantage, which is ink capacity.

I have the medallist, platinum and sterling silver all with medium nibs. I personally believe Cross pens in general are vastly underrated.