The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Romet Asia

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jandrese

jandrese

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 19:27

This is a review of the Romet Asia fountain pen in tangerine. The Asia is a large and lightweight pen with a vibrant color scheme. Filling is by cartridge/converter so donít get too excited. Evidently, the pen is no longer being manufactured, however, there may still be examples available for sale. Romet is an Italian pen manufacturer that claims to make pens for better-known companies, although it wonít say which. Perhaps one of those companies is Montegrappa since the cap band on the Romet closely resembles the cap band on the Montegrappa Extra 1930 pen. I donít remember exactly how much I paid for the pen, but it was probably around $75. For such a large pen, especially an Italian pen, this is a modest price.

Obviously, expensive materials like precious metals cannot be had on pens that sell for $75. Although attractive, it is evident that the Asia is not a first quality pen. Nevertheless, it is well made, and is comfortable to use. The problem with the pen is the stock nib, which is a thin, scratchy, steel nib labeled only "Iridium Point Germany". Iíve had the pen a few years and have written with it several times only to be disappointed each time. On several occasions I even tried to modify the nib to improve the performance, all to no avail.

At long last I decided to replace the stock nib with a kit pen nib. The 14 carat gold #6 generic nib from Bock is a near match for the stock nib. Thus, I was able to replace the original nib without changing the feed or making any other modifications. What a world of difference a nib makes! The Bock nib is outstanding. It has a soft feel and puts down a generous, consistent line of ink.

Even though I like the way it looks, before changing the nib I was thinking of selling this pen. Now, I canít imagine selling it. Although the replacement nib was more costly than the pen in the first place, it was certainly a good investment. If you see one of these pens for sale, and like the way it looks, buy it and replace the nib, youíll be a happy camper.

Sponsored Content

#2 inkyfingr

inkyfingr

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 February 2009 - 19:37

That's an attention-getting material! It's too bad a beautiful pen like that doesn't come with a decent/usable nib.

#3 diplomat

diplomat

Platinum Member :)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 21:24

Hello, and thanks for the effort put in the review.

I just wante to pop up to say this is not an Italian pen!

As it was reported in the italian forum on FPN: http://www.fountainp...n...st&p=921862

Romet was a Texas company that used to sell (they do not exists any more) pens produced in China.
Clearly they were using Italian names and styles (like the Montegrappa-alike cap band) to exploit the hype around the Italian pen manufacturing.

Apart from that, looks like the pen is worth any dollar payed.

Best,

#4 Joehek

Joehek

Joehek

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 15:14

Great color on this pen, even if it was made in China. I went out to eBay and there are a lot of them still available at around $50. None of that I saw had as good of color as this one though. I have a few spare nibs, maybe I will look into it. Thanks for the write up.

#5 MYU

MYU

... The key to it all is Capillary Action! ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,647 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2009 - 20:56

Fantastic photographs--they really show off the coloration beautifully. Excellent choice on the nib swap too! Where did you buy it from?

[MYU's Pen Review Corner]   |   "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

#6 Brian

Brian

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,432 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 22:42

Congratulations on a successful project. Nice pen and colors. Good photo skills too.

#7 jandrese

jandrese

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 972 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:16

I got the new nib from nibs.com

QUOTE (MYU @ Feb 11 2009, 02:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fantastic photographs--they really show off the coloration beautifully. Excellent choice on the nib swap too! Where did you buy it from?

#8 jandrese

jandrese

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 972 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:17

Interesting. Thanks for posting this information.

QUOTE (diplomat @ Feb 10 2009, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello, and thanks for the effort put in the review.

I just wante to pop up to say this is not an Italian pen!

As it was reported in the italian forum on FPN: http://www.fountainp...n...st&p=921862

Romet was a Texas company that used to sell (they do not exists any more) pens produced in China.
Clearly they were using Italian names and styles (like the Montegrappa-alike cap band) to exploit the hype around the Italian pen manufacturing.

Apart from that, looks like the pen is worth any dollar payed.

Best,

Sponsored Content

|