Value of Parker 61

Dylan

I met a couple yesterday that are selling their old fountain pens. They have a Parker 61 Fountain pen and pencil in a gold finish. On the box it states Insignia Duette, not sure if it is the original box and neither do the owners.

Does anyone have any pictures of Parker 61's and have any idea of what the value is?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FarmBoy

• Splicer

• mitto

• vermiculus

Value and condition go hand in hand, anyway a gold cap and barrel would indicate an Insignia- one of the more sought after models. The next would be filling system, the earlier model are capillary fillers ( when you unscrew the barrel a large black cylinder is in side) the latter cartridge/ converter. I prefer the latter, easier to clean and less problems if you intend to use the pen. Ebay will give you a ball park figure . In good condition a set should make US$120 plus. You need to check the section for cracks and plastic shrinkage and that the arrow above the nib is there, any problems there pass it over. Hope this of some help!! Check the fountain pen review section and the market place, should a review and might be some for sale. A good looking pen and a nice usable size as well.

Regards Hugh

I bought a 61 in rolled gold, original box, capillary fill for £25, around $40, last year, this was probably a bargain and I woundnt disagree with Hughs valuation

The 61 is quite varied - with two different filling systems, nib feel varying with country of origin, and various caps, not to mention the quite large colour selection and "first edition" caps and metal types.

For a good overview with interesting details, see Richard Binder's profile: http://www.richardspens.com/ref_info/61_profile.htm

As such, they can be worth from £15ish to £150 and above depending on all sorts of things. For instance, a basic black or grey 61 with steel cap and fine nib might be only £15ish - but a first edition heirloom/legacy cap on a 61 in surf green with a broad nib would be nearer the top end.

Another thing about the capillary fillers—the ends of them are white if they have never been inked. So unlike many other pens, you really can tell for sure that the NOS is NOS.

I paid $120 for my 61—just one fountain pen, not a set, and with a lustraloy cap, no precious metals except for the nib. Some people are probably choking on their coffee after seeing that, but it came in the original box with the price tag, and yes, the capillary filler was still white.

But I was looking for that exact pen. I wanted a capillary fill 61 in black with a satin-finish lustraloy cap, preferably an earlier model. I got the Mark I "Classic"... by no means a rarity or generally prized, but I found exactly what I wanted and I bid on it aggressively.

Which is just to illustrate that value in fountain pens is an entirely personal thing. Your set is generally more sought after than my pen, but I wouldn't take it off your hands for more than about $40 whereas I paid $120 for a much more common pen with less precious metal content. There's nothing wrong with yours, but I don't have my heart set on it. Value is entirely dependent on localized demand.

This is true of all collectibles, but more true of fountain pen than of other things. If I found an early 20th Century coin selling for 10% under Red Book, I might just take it to "enhance" or "broaden" my collection. Fountain pens are more personal and individualized and fountain pen collectors are more likely to use items from their collection than other kinds of collectors. And that's why you don't see fountain pen pricing guides like you will for other collectibles.

Who are the pen shops in your neighborhood? Find out or tell us where they are, at http://penshops.info/

Blog: http://splicer.com/

NOS is NOS.

Some people are probably choking on their coffee after seeing that, but it came in the original box with the price tag, and yes, the capillary filler was still white.

Splicer makes a good point that demand really is the market mover and that the label of "mint" or "New Old Stock" is something which is hard to quantify.

It's really hard to get a straight answer for this sort of thing. Do a google search of this site for something like "FS Parker 61" and see what you find.

Another thing about the capillary fillers—the ends of them are white if they have never been inked. So unlike many other pens, you really can tell for sure that the NOS is NOS.

Most of my mints have a pink colour, not white.

This might be the English version. They also have chalk marks with the price and nib description. I have these in Pounds and Rands.

A solid gold Presidential will sell at a 4 figure price BTW.

Do be careful, the Teflon coating is particularly delicate. And you need to use a good ink as the capillary fillers tend to clog up.

Please don't ink a mint one - - - please.

And if you get one with an aerometric converter, that will give you the best ink capacity.

Sic Transit Gloria

"Gloria gets seasick"

Don't ink it ??? isn't that what one does with FPs ?? ;)

I have just bought two, a nice mint Rage Red and a less-mint, and less common, Surf Green with a 'rainbow ' cap....still awaiting that one. Paid about $110 for the red and $100 for the other, probably a bit on the high side.

I have plenty of Parkers with C/Cs so I only went for capillary fillers.

The red one writes nicely, after a bit of 'flossing', although it's a touch on the dry side...not unusual, I believe.

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

The red one writes nicely, after a bit of 'flossing', although it's a touch on the dry side...not unusual, I believe.

Richard Binder adjusted the flow on mine. I think that (part of) their reputation for being dry comes from the feed, not the filler.

And yes, I inked my (formerly) mint capillary Mark I 61. I use it every day.

Who are the pen shops in your neighborhood? Find out or tell us where they are, at http://penshops.info/

OK, so you paid a premium to get a "mint" unused pen and then inked it!?!?

You paid a premium to get ....

.... and then you ....

.....never mind, I'm going back to my corner now.

S'O.K. , Glenn, the two 'camps' will never understand one another :)

I couldn't imagine buying a nice new Ferrari and then putting it up on blocks, and just looking at it :huh:

But some people do that sort of thing.

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

OK, so you paid a premium to get a "mint" unused pen and then inked it!?!?

You paid a premium to get ....

.... and then you ....

.....never mind, I'm going back to my corner now.

Yep. What I got was a capillary filler whose history I don't have to wonder about. I can keep it cleaned regularly and not fight the gunk the previous owner(s) let accumulate. I got something deliciously rare: I got to open a brand new Parker 61. Its history starts with me, and believe me, I appreciate how precious that is, considering that it was made ten to fifteen years before I was born.

And c'mon. It's a Parker 61, Mark I, not first-year. It's black with a satin-finish Lustraloy cap. It's the most common color and either the most or second most common cap (not sure). It was second to the bottom of the price structure of 61s. It's not remotely rare. Okay, finding them NOS is not common, but it's not like I outbid the Smithsonian for it.

I totally respect preserving things for future generations. In this case, I am the future generation that gets to enjoy it.

I'm with ya, Splicer! And I like the "basic" models of the 45s, 51s and 61s too. Classics!

I just bought an English c/c black body, gold cap for about $30 shipped. That will be my third 61. The English nibs are quite nice on these. We'll see what condition this one is in. An impulse buy, didn't expect it to close for that.

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

Screw 'em...ink like you've never inked a pen before and ENJOY it!

Pens were made to be used. If your not running a museum ink away!

Peter

No need to be rude or vulgar!

First, it was a joke. Splicer can pay a premium and pound the pen with a hammer for all I care.

Second, I would have paid less for a used pen that I planned to use anyway.

But like I said, its his money, he can do with it as he pleases.

I have to agree with Splicer here, but I'm a writer, not a collector.

Pen valuation is uniquely subjective, very similar to camera collecting (another hobby of mine) in that regard. Some collectors would no more attempt to shoot with a vintage Contax than they would ring the Liberty Bell.

My perspective, and my fondness for pens, cameras, and fly rods, is that their value is in the use for which they were intended. While I wouldn't put such a value on being the first to use a "virgin" instrument, I think that failure to use such a tool for the use intended is on a moral par with taking the virginity of a pristine model. Unless of course, it's the "last of its kind" in which case it probably belongs in a museum.

I'm Andy H and I approved this message.

• 7 years later...

I bought a NOS 61 Legacy Mark I non first ed. set, black. In original box, pen and pencil in cellophane, price tags, instructions, "warranty" card, etc. This was the bottom of the line, $20 pen/27.50 set. I read the instructions and then inked it for the first time. It works like a dream. I wanted a 61 capillary filler just because of the engineering, just to try it out. I read extensively about it, and knew well the several different issues with the pen. I never thought that the 61 would be the pen that is with me at all times, and that I absolutely love. I have flushed it, and, if you follow the original directions, you do not need an ear bulb, or any other device, nor do you get ink in your mouth or leave more than a very slight amount of water in the pen, which leaves the first fill after flushing a little diluted, but that is quickly remedied. In other words, I got a brand new pen that had not been abused. I know that the polystyrene can become brittle, the capillary filler can clog, the inlaid arrow might fall out. But I followed the instructions, and it works, and I know what to watch out for and try to prevent. My favorite pen. The best fountain pen purchase that I have made, and I have a number of great working famous vintage pens: 51, Snorkel, Balance, Vacumatic, etc. These are all awesome pens, but the infamous Parker 61 is the one I love the most!!!! BTW- the 61 mechanical pencil is one of the best I own as well.

Gosh (does anyone really say that anymore??) - necro thread!

Oh well, to add my two penne'th - yes, price (or rather, worth) will always be subjective and, at least here in the UK, wildly variable. A broad range on Ebay seems to span £40 - £80 in open auction for good examples (individual pens), whilst dealer prices vary between £70 - £100 for the same. These ranges covering both classics & customs. Flighters / Consorts / Insignias seem a more moveable feast, & I don't have enough 'market watching' to comment definitively (I'm a noob).

That said, I took delivery today of my first 61, an early MK II Capillary Medium Custom in black - boxed, pristine, chalked and uninked (also pink capillary ends - see earlier posts) for which I paid £69. Something of a bargain, I think (subjectively!).

I've taken something of a shine to the 61 and will doubless have more to add and report as time goes on.

Regards,

Frank

• 1 year later...

I have a parker 61 with a ink cartridge stuck in it, any advice as how to get it out?

Is the cartridge black or clear/white?

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.