Stipula daVinci

Kurtz

Beautiful pen and review! Thank you!

re: the comparison shot with the nibs exposed: WOW! That's a big pen!

Ryan.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kurtz

• gentlewarrior6

• cwnidog

• QM2

Jeepers, that's quite a contraption. Very interesting. Thanks for the review.

regards

eric

The flowers celebrated their sweetness

With just our noses

(ericthered junior)

• 2 weeks later...
Great pictures, nice review, could you possibly say how big this pen is, could you take a shot next to some of your other pens for a size comparison?

Of course. Here is a family portrait with her sisters (Waterman Sérénité, Parker Sonnet, Pilot VP and Laban Ring):

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/3659/cappedna6.jpg

It is big, as you can see, but when it comes to stick the nib out... it is reaaally big:

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/9098/uncappedzr8.jpg

Someone sometime asked for a pen able to draw the attention when being held by its owner in front of a small audience Well, this could be a good contender B)

Nice pens. What color is the Laban Ring? Is that the pearl black? I don't see that on the manufacturers web site.

Thanks.

The pen is mightier than the sword, and I wield an extrafine point...... En garde!! :-)

Nice pens. What color is the Laban Ring? Is that the pearl black? I don't see that on the manufacturers web site.

Thanks.

Affirmative. The color is pearl black (more greyish in the hand than in web site pictures). You can read my little review of the Laban here.

There is a tide in the affairs of men which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune. Omitted, all the voyage of their life is bound in shallows and in miseries. On such a full sea are we now afloat, and we must take the current when it serves or lose our ventures.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks.

Affirmative. The color is pearl black (more greyish in the hand than in web site pictures). You can read my little review of the Laban here.

Thanks. I have one on order. What is the fine nib (line thickness and wetness) on the Van Gogh like, in comparison to other pens besides the Pilot? Do you have a Montegrappa or Visconti to compare to for example? Or in comparison to the Laban.

Thanks.

The pen is mightier than the sword, and I wield an extrafine point...... En garde!! :-)

Thanks.

Thanks. I have one on order. What is the fine nib (line thickness and wetness) on the Van Gogh like, in comparison to other pens besides the Pilot? Do you have a Montegrappa or Visconti to compare to for example? Or in comparison to the Laban.

Thanks.

You mean the Parker Sonnet? It is M nib (writes very smoothly). I'm afraid I haven't got any Montegrappa or Visconti.

There is a tide in the affairs of men which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune. Omitted, all the voyage of their life is bound in shallows and in miseries. On such a full sea are we now afloat, and we must take the current when it serves or lose our ventures.

Surely an ineresting nice pen, and thanks for the honest review coupled with informative photos. Enjoy and congratulation!

Fountain Pen is for people who have a delicate taste in writing

Pens Actively In Use

MB 149-f; MB Solitaire SS (FP-ef,BP,MP)

MB (LE) G.B.Shaw (FP-m,BP,MP); MB LeGrand (RB,BP,MP)

Parker Duofold Presidential Esparto sol.SS (FP-f, BP)

Parker Duofold PS SS (FP-f, RB)

Parker Doufold Marbled Green (FP-f,BP,MP)

Parker Duofold Marbled Gray (FP-xf)

S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum Diamond Head (FP-m)

S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum/ChinLacquer Black (FP-f)

Thanks.

Thanks.

You mean the Parker Sonnet? It is M nib (writes very smoothly). I'm afraid I haven't got any Montegrappa or Visconti.

Sorry I meant what is the nib width of the Stipula da Vinci compared to other pens you have of the same nib size. Thanks.

• 2 months later...
Great pictures, nice review, could you possibly say how big this pen is, could you take a shot next to some of your other pens for a size comparison?

Of course. Here is a family portrait with her sisters (Waterman Sérénité, Parker Sonnet, Pilot VP and Laban Ring):

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/3659/cappedna6.jpg

It is big, as you can see, but when it comes to stick the nib out... it is reaaally big:

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/9098/uncappedzr8.jpg

Someone sometime asked for a pen able to draw the attention when being held by its owner in front of a small audience Well, this could be a good contender B)

Hi

I just got one of these, and it seems the nib assembly is a little loose within the main hub of the pen. Probably with all the sliding mechanisms, there is a bit of a give. Not a deal breaker, but I was wondering if others have a similar experience.

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Thanks Kutz, great review and pictures, as others have said. At first I thought that I wanted one of these, now I know I do. I'll go for the carbon fiber with yellow trim though (I'm a sucker for yellow pens).

BTW - hard starting seems to be a Stipula characteristic. My Etruria had the same problem but once it got going in the morning it was great for the rest of the day. A trip to a nibmeister got it squared away, it's still a little dry, but it's an EF nib.

What's so funny about Peace, Love, and Understanding?

• 2 weeks later...

This review alone has made me want to try this pen. Particularly the nib pictures are superb.

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

OK, after reading the review, my lust was confirmed. I went out and got a Titanio DaVinci. These are the same DaVinci core as the others models, but the body is of carbon fiber and it has a 0.6mm titanium nib. I think that would place it as a tidge broader than a M, but definitely finer than a B. And it is one smooth writer. The carbon fiber body reduces the weight considerably, but it's still no lightweight - ther eis still that stainless steel core after all. And while my fairly small hands have no real trouble with it, those with really small hands might find it a bit much.

Kurtz wasn't kidding, it can be a cast iron pain in the butt to get the ink flowing, but once it starts it's actually a fairly wet writer. Oh and did I mention that it's smooth.

There is a little nib play, I suspect due to the mechanism, but it's a long way from being loose. When you put the nib to paper, there is a barely audible "click" and a slight shift in the nib position as you begin to write, but nothing to moan about.

All in all, well worth the money.

What's so funny about Peace, Love, and Understanding?

I was never even keen to look at capless, though I have one myself ...

but thie review...

made me say to myself.. I MUST HAVE ONE !!!! hahaha

FANTASTIC pics, review THANK YOU !!

The BEST teacher don't give you the answers, they just point the way and you make your own choice - Will Schuester, GLEE

• 1 year later...

Thanks for an amazing review. It is because of what you said that I now own my own Da Vinci and I am delighted with it. I ordered one on discount and was regretting the purchase before I even received the pen. But now I am in love with the pen. I got the black with fine nib. (no other option) I love it's understated elegance. It is almost zen in it's appearance. A nice contrast from some of my fancier Italians. It feels great in the hand. It makes the best worry stone of any pen I have ever owned! I like the solidness of it's weight and I have had no flow problems (once I found the right ink). I even like the nib as supplied by the factory. Usually I have to tweak the nib a lot to get what I want, but not this pen! My writing is a note here and there, and an occasional page of writing. I have had no start up problems at all. My only complaint is the essentially non-functional clip, but like you said you have to make some concessions. Thanks for whetting my appetite!

Fantastic! Great idea to show this unusual pen disassembled! It is a beauty, together and apart!

empyrean Conklin,Stipula Pyrite, Bon Voyage & Tuscany Dreams Siena, Levengers, Sailor 1911,Pelikan M200, Bexley BX802, AoLiWen Music Notes pen, Jinhao's,1935 Parker Deluxe Challenger, 1930s Eversharp Gold Seal RingTop, 1940s Sheaffer Tuckaway, 1944 Sheaffer Triumph, Visconti Van Gogh midi, Esties!(SJ, T, and J),Cross Townsend Medalist & Aventura, 1930s Mentmore Autoflow, A bunch of Conway-Stewarts 84, Platinum 3776 Chartres Blue(med); Montegrappa Elmo (broad nib), Delta "The Journal" (med nib), Conklin Yellowstone (med nib)

• 1 month later...

I'm jealous :puddle:

You are a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% chance of mortality.

• 2 weeks later...

Whoa! What a cool pen... notworthy1.gif notworthy1.gif

Regards,

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

• 8 months later...

I think the dryness is more than likely due to the nib design then the cap. I have a Pilot Quattro, I can leave the cap open for hours and as soon as I pick it up it writes flawlessly. The Quattro is less than $200 and the Da Vinci is probably more than $600. Nice design but I think it is way over price.