Montblanc: John Pierpont Morgan

Bryant

Congratulations Bryant.

You know Bunkie Hunt and his brother are going to start wondering whether you are trying to corner the silver market.

Is this pen overplated with rhodium or platinum to prevent tarnishing? If not, what do you use to polish these beauties?

I always enjoy your photography. What's your set-up? Do you use a light tent?

Thanks for showing the Carnegie again as well. You can post photos of that pen any day you want. I just love that Belle Arts overlay.

Carbon fiber seems a very modern material to use in a pen honoring a man dead for one hundred years. But in his time, JP Morgan was a very forward looking guy. His house in New York City was the first private residence to be electrified. His series of personal yachts, each christened Corsair showcased new technologies to make life aboard more comfortable.

The shallow fluting of the pen's barrel could represent the pinstriped world of high finance in which JP Morgan excelled. The woven sterling and carbon fiber pattern on the cap could represent the ups and downs of the stock market (today I suppose that pattern would have to continue past the nib, through the paper, and onto the floor).

That Mother of Pearl Star makes all the difference, doesn't it? I think this is one of the few 4810 editions to carry a MOP star.

Sounds like you need to have the good Mr. Mottishaw regrind that round nib to a stub - or maybe even a cursive italic. Line width variation makes an ordinary hand more interesting - more visual texture - more interest. Line width variation makes us look better than we really are - one of my lifelong pursuits.

Again, kudos Bryant. You have great taste.

Edited by yachtsilverswan

Ray

Atlanta, Georgia

Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point with Richard Binder ItaliFine 0.9mm/F Nib

Faber Castell's Porsche Design with Gold & Stainless Mesh in Binderized CI Broad nib

Visconti LE Divina Proporzione in Gold with Binderized CI nib

David Oscarson Valhalla in gray (Thor) with Broad Binderized CI nib

Michel Perchin LE Blue Serpent (reviewed) with Binderized CI nib

Montblanc 149 in Medium Binderized CI nib

Montblanc Pope Julius II 888 Edition (reviewed) in Bold Binderized CI nib

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bryant

• RedRob

• georges zaslavsky

• yamborghini

Congratulations on the pen Bryant! And thanks for your thorough review with the historical background. I think that being aware of these details really enhances the experience of the pen.

Although this is not a model I would go for myself, I appreciate the craftsmanship, and especially the carbon fiber weave work.

Enjoy!

QM2

Thanks! I agree... I figured the Carbon Fiber might be too modern for your tastes yes?

The on angle weave does add to the enjoyment of looking at this pen. Also the white gloves adds another layer to the picture as well!

K

:glare: :bunny01:

I do like it the best of the three pictured. I dont know how much POA pens start at but I am half the time lusting after a Jules Verne and the other half, $650 for a pen, I ought to shoot myself if I buy it.

Oh, but the Jules is sooooo sexy! My third favorite WE after Proust and Agatha

Wonderful photos and a great pen. We have very similar taste Bryant. I have the JP Morgan and the Lorenzo. The only other POA I am after now is exactly what you have in the middle, the Andrew Carnegie. Something very sensual about the AC pen.

Use them in good health.

cheers

Wael

The Carnegie is fantastic, I have been wanting to get a CS overlay as of late, but the fact thats its cc is the only stopper... I will break soon I think...

Great review Bryant and I'll join the chorus celebrating your photography skills.

I'm not sure Morgan is such a positive character in my book, particularly viewed in these times of politically tone-deaf bankers. Art-wise, he was more of a collector than a philantropist and in this field his contemporary and neighbor, Henry Clay Frick may have surpassed him by the refinement of his collection. Morgan is a better known name though and that's probably why MB chose him.

Being more of a backward, vintage style aficionado myself, the modern design of the MB Morgan hadn't appealed to me yet. At least that was the case until you posted your review and pictures. I'm afraid I can now understand the appeal of this pen. It is sober and elegant. That questionable carbon weaving on the cap has a terrific excuse, now that you pointed it out, it makes the cap lighter and easier to post. The fact that MB restrained from using metal on the grip section is also quite commendable. All in all an ergonomic pen, which sounds like it is a pleasure to use as much as to behold. Now, who would've expected that, particularly in a recent POA series pen?

Thanks for your review of the Morgan Bryant and do definitely try to take a look at the Charlemagne in person... you never know.

Yes, JP Morgan's life is quite controversial. I wont get too into that :) Well, maybe Frick will be honored later... I am afraid of seeing the Charlemagne in person. I dont need any more POAs. Thanks Rob!

Congratulations Bryant.

You know Bunkie Hunt and his brother are going to start wondering whether you are trying to corner the silver market.

Is this pen overplated with rhodium or platinum to prevent tarnishing? If not, what do you use to polish these beauties?

I always enjoy your photography. What's your set-up? Do you use a light tent?

Thanks for showing the Carnegie again as well. You can post photos of that pen any day you want. I just love that Belle Arts overlay.

Carbon fiber seems a very modern material to use in a pen honoring a man dead for one hundred years. But in his time, JP Morgan was a very forward looking guy. His house in New York City was the first private residence to be electrified. His series of personal yachts, each christened Corsair showcased new technologies to make life aboard more comfortable.

The shallow fluting of the pen's barrel could represent the pinstriped world of high finance in which JP Morgan exelled. The woven sterling and carbon fiber pattern on the cap could represent the ups and downs of the stock market (today I suppose that pattern would have to continue past the nib, through the paper, and onto the floor).

That Mother of Pearl Star makes all the difference, doesn't it? I think this is one of the few 4810 editions to carry a MOP star.

Sounds like you need to have the good Mr. Mottishaw regrind that round nib to a stub - or maybe even a cursive italic. Line width variation makes an ordinary hand more interesting - more visual texture - more interest. Line width variation makes us look better than we really are - one of my lifelong pursuits.

Again, kudos Bryant. You have great taste.

I do love my sterling silver.

Its not plated, I use dry jewelery wipes. I know a lot of people like the tarnishing, but I like it shiny. The kind I use are pretty inexpensive. The brand is Connoisseurs Jewelery wipes.

I use a light tent, but want to get another one, this was a cheepie of ebay.

You really should get the Carnegie, its quite amazing!

I love your representations! Great!

The MOP is my favorite part of this pen, and was the best part of the Copernicus.

You are right about that! I cant put my Medici down, because of the Mottishaw nib.

Thanks everyone, Im glad I could share it!

Chatterley Luxuries and Pentime

Web: Chatterleyluxuries.com

Email: Info@chatterleyluxuries.com

Follow us on...

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

Well-written; I enjoyed reading your review.

As a fellow photography enthusiast, I also appreciated the photos -they make all the difference in a review, just as the mother of pearl star could make all the difference in a limited edition montblanc.

The mediator between the head and hands must be the heart -Metropolis

A nice review. I like mine but have only one constructive comment for change. Its the nib. We know JP was involved in high finance and mergers and big business. Here was a great opportunity to go over the top with nib design. MB could have done something with $$$ signs or any one of many other motifs that esposed the bigger, better, and best kind of mindset this man must surely have had. After all MB is sort of an over the top kind of company when one considers the zany marketing they do, e.g., "is that you?", not one but two Alexandre Dumas signatures that surely they must have known about (is it a conspiracy to sell more pens?), a cartridge filler mascarading as a safety pen (the 100-year historical), etc.

Other than that I love this pen and the smile it brings every time I use it, e.g., I am my own mogul, hee hee.

p.s. your photos are very good and highlight the many small details that make up this pen. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Very nice review and pictures. I'm really looking forward to see my own beauty in real life in a couple of days! Can't wait to see if its even more stunning than in your pictures and how it compares to my golden Pope.

Edited by CurlyBarbie

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I saw this pen in the Harrods Pen Dept in London.

I picked it up, stroked it, fell in love with it and then...

Didn't buy it!

It is one of only a couple of FP purchase regrets I have.

Enjoy the pen, it is lovely.

Great review with spot on pictures. Now then the pen, what a stunner that is! Yep thats one that I will certainly be keeping an eye out for.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

• 10 months later...

Hello Bryant,

Thank you for this nice review and the detailed pics of a beautiful J.P. Morgan. I love the uncluttered style. This one and the 888-version I like the most of the PoA series. The 888-version reminds me of a an exhaust pipe (motorcycle) advertisement I saw many years ago. This pipe was made of carbon fibre/kevlar with gold thread inlays I loved it instantaneously. I never saw it again.

On the internet a 888-version was on offer for €10,000. That's just a bridge to far for me.

I wish you lots of joyful writing.

With love,

goldenkrishna

Ik tik

• 1 month later...

dear bryan,surely one of the best poa jp morgan 4810 looks better than the 888,is the carbon same on both versions 4810/888 regards don aries

Edited by don aries

• 3 years later...

Great pen, no doubt on it.

When you mention 55g, does it include the cap ?

LYTH

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee402/LYTH1/031.jpg

Some of those super high end Montblanc pens you really need to hold them and see with your eyes to notice the quality of those.

• 8 months later...

I am interested in having a limited edition or a special edition with mother of pearl emblem and am wondering what protects the star emblem from scratches etc. It appears from those who own these it gives a unique meaning to the pen itself. Any feedback would be helpful.

Thank you.

DL

• 8 months later...

I am interested in having a limited edition or a special edition with mother of pearl emblem and am wondering what protects the star emblem from scratches etc. It appears from those who own these it gives a unique meaning to the pen itself. Any feedback would be helpful.

~ Dhara lekhni:

That's an interesting question.

None of my pens has a mother-of-pearl Montblanc snow star so I've never before considered the scratch protection question.

I've seen mother-of-pearl snow stars on pens in boutiques, but never thought to ask the staff how they're protected.

Thank you for asking this.

Tom K.