What First Drew You to a Montblanc?

serendipman

Greetings. I am new to this forum. and new, infact, to the joys of writing with a fountain pen. As a school child, I was forced to write with a fountain pen. But even though I hated schoolwork, I remember always enjoying the fountain pen. Because I think, like all of you, I understood that a good fountain pen was not about writing, as it was an embodiment of the finest possible writing.

Sorry to ramble, but I guess the point I am trying to make is that I have recently experienced a revival of an interest in fountain pens and that this time the joy of using a fountain pen will not be tempered by the requirement of homework assignments.

Which brings me to my question for you: What MB should an initiate such as myself buy? Should I look for a good second hand one, or a new one? And finally, I would very much like to know why you chose a Mont Blanc rather than something else.

Cheers

Edited by serendipman

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• serendipman

• archie001

• Blade Runner

• Ghost Plane

...What MB should an initiate such as myself buy? Should I look for a good second hand one, or a new one? And finally, I would very much like to know why you chose a Mont Blanc rather than something else.

Cheers

If you want the MontBlanc experience, you should start with a Meisterstuck - either the flagship 149 or the slightly smaller 146.

Buy your first one used (but in great shape). The sales boards here and on PenTrace.com are more reliable than eBay. There are a lot of MontBlanc frauds and poorly functioning (damaged) Montblancs on eBay.

My vote - find a used 149 in good condition here or on PenTrace. Use it unposted.

Before buying, you should try out nib widths at a MontBlanc Boutique and decide whether your writing would be best served by a XF, F, M, or B nib.

Edited by yachtsilverswan

Ray

Atlanta, Georgia

Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point with Richard Binder ItaliFine 0.9mm/F Nib

Faber Castell's Porsche Design with Gold & Stainless Mesh in Binderized CI Broad nib

Visconti LE Divina Proporzione in Gold with Binderized CI nib

David Oscarson Valhalla in gray (Thor) with Broad Binderized CI nib

Michel Perchin LE Blue Serpent (reviewed) with Binderized CI nib

Montblanc 149 in Medium Binderized CI nib

Montblanc Pope Julius II 888 Edition (reviewed) in Bold Binderized CI nib

Thank you!

...What MB should an initiate such as myself buy? Should I look for a good second hand one, or a new one? And finally, I would very much like to know why you chose a Mont Blanc rather than something else.

Cheers

If you want the MontBlanc experience, you should start with a Meisterstuck - either the flagship 149 or the slightly smaller 146.

Buy your first one used (but in great shape). The sales boards here and on PenTrace.com are more reliable than eBay. There are a lot of MontBlanc frauds and poorly functioning (damaged) Montblancs on eBay.

My vote - find a used 149 in good condition here or on PenTrace. Use it unposted.

Before buying, you should try out nib widths at a MontBlanc Boutique and decide whether your writing would be best served by a XF, F, M, or B nib.

S-Man-

Ray speaks the truth here. You cannot go wrong with a 146 or 149 in an F or M nib, and you can find them here or at Pentrace at reasonable prices. Sometimes, all you gotta do is ask on the WTB board, and people will PM you with offers.

Personally, I'd start with a 146, and then move to a 149, but research the pen and pick what you think is best for you.

Good luck and let us know what you picked.

Eric

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

The one thing that has kept me from buying a mont blanc has been the expense. I went once (my only time so far) to a MB boutique, and saw the faulkner pen which I thought looked amazing, then when I looked online, i saw the Kafka pen. I would love to get one but I know it's very expensive.

I would feel somehow guilty about spending so much money, unless I told myself that it would be a

"investment" , (even though I would never part with it. )

So, is it? a good investment ? Do montblancs retain their value at least , if not appreciate over the years?

Thanks, Eric. Will do...I guess a part of me wants to buy a Mont blanc, because I think it's a status symbol. Which I know is shallow and in contradiction to my stated passion for the pen (as opposed to the brand name).

But then again, I am also interested in a mont blanc because it has a rich history and tradition. Perhaps we are buying all of that when we buy a Mont Blanc?

Edited by serendipman

The one thing that has kept me from buying a mont blanc has been the expense. I went once (my only time so far) to a MB boutique, and saw the faulkner pen which I thought looked amazing, then when I looked online, i saw the Kafka pen. I would love to get one but I know it's very expensive.

I would feel somehow guilty about spending so much money, unless I told myself that it would be a

So, is it? a good investment ? Do montblancs retain their value at least , if not appreciate over the years?

Pens are not good investments - at least not good monetary investments. Stuffing your mattress is a better investment these days. But if you buy a good used 149 and decide you don't like it, you can sell it here for about what you paid.

I buy a nice pen because I want a high quality writing instrument that eliminates writer's cramp, has some style, and will last me for decades. I bought my first 149 almost 30 years ago, and still use the very same pen.

It's true that new prices are high, but good used pens can be had for 1/2 of new retail.

Ray

Atlanta, Georgia

Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point with Richard Binder ItaliFine 0.9mm/F Nib

Faber Castell's Porsche Design with Gold & Stainless Mesh in Binderized CI Broad nib

Visconti LE Divina Proporzione in Gold with Binderized CI nib

David Oscarson Valhalla in gray (Thor) with Broad Binderized CI nib

Michel Perchin LE Blue Serpent (reviewed) with Binderized CI nib

Montblanc 149 in Medium Binderized CI nib

Montblanc Pope Julius II 888 Edition (reviewed) in Bold Binderized CI nib

Thanks, Eric. Will do...I guess a part of me wants to buy a Mont blanc, because I think it's a status symbol. Which I know is shallow and in contradiction to my stated passion for the pen (as opposed to the brand name).

But then again, I am also interested in a mont blanc because it has a rich history and tradition. Perhaps we are buying all of that when we buy a Mont Blanc?

serendipman,

I stayed away from MB because of the 'status symbol' aspect. But then I thought 'sod it all'. Any item can be a status symbol. I use a certain FP because I love the way it performs and that's what matters.

Also many pen companies have rich histories and traditions. The one thing that definitely turned me onto MB was the after sales service. That for me is an important factor. A FP is for decades of use and in that time it may go in for repairs. Imagine a company that gives you a hard time whenever you need help.

I 'love' people who embrace status symbols. When a new flavour of the month arrives the old is out on its ear and you can pick it up for a song. Long live status symbols. :roflmho:

Stay well,

Solomon

Edited as my fingers move faster than my brain.

Edited by varmas

WTB: Unusual and prototype Sheaffer Connaisseurs, Grande Connaisseurs and Parker Premiers.

Greetings Serendipman! And welcome to the MB forum.

For me it’s the balance of form and function. I use the Meisterstuck line (146s and 149s) and love the understated elegance of the design. I don't think you could remove or add any design element without detracting from the pen. Add to that MB’s other pen lines, the bewildering selection of materials used to make their pens, the fascinating limited edition series, and the world of vintage pens, and you have a great deal to admire and collect.

In terms of function, I began my journey in pendom with fantastic writing Parker 51 aerometrics, and still enjoy them, so I would not continue to choose MB unless they offered a high level of quality control, function, and durability. My oldest MB is a 14 year old 149 used pretty much every work day with nary a problem.

MB is among the minority of modern brands that still manufacture their own nibs (with the kind of feedback that I prefer) and offers true piston filling models (for large ink capacity). The cachet of owning a pen from a brand that still has real pen making know how is important to me.

MB customer service is among the best I’ve experienced, with fast service in the States, unlike most other foreign brands that require long trips overseas. The MB boutiques (if you live near one) are convenient for purchases, refills, special orders, special sales, and if you need them to send a pen in for service.

I hope you find a MB that you love. A second hand one is a good idea, and getting one from a trusted member of a pen board will more likely be one that writes well as compared to ebay.

Best,

Jeen

Edited by jeen

Great advice! I second (third?) the 149 suggestions. I climbed the ladder from 144 to Boheme to 146 to 149. You might want to just cut to the chase and grab a '46 or '49.

I'll take an Aurora, please. Aurora black.

What are your thoughts about the Montblanc slimline rollerball? I know a rollerball does not compare with a FP, but as far as rollerballs go, is it a good one?

i am fond of fountain pen since the fourth grade in elementary. i have heard then of montblanc's quality and reliability so i bought one and since i just wanted to write with montblanc pens. my 149 is simply fantastic and the best performer among my pens!

for your first montblanc pen, 149 is my bet but better for you to get a first impression at a boutique where you can personally try which one is best fitted for you.

Edited by archie001

Fountain Pen is for people who have a delicate taste in writing

Pens Actively In Use

MB 149-f; MB Solitaire SS (FP-ef,BP,MP)

MB (LE) G.B.Shaw (FP-m,BP,MP); MB LeGrand (RB,BP,MP)

Parker Duofold Presidential Esparto sol.SS (FP-f, BP)

Parker Duofold PS SS (FP-f, RB)

Parker Doufold Marbled Green (FP-f,BP,MP)

Parker Duofold Marbled Gray (FP-xf)

S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum Diamond Head (FP-m)

S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum/ChinLacquer Black (FP-f)

not in the sense that you will gain a profit from your montblanc after buying and selling it but, if you keep your montblanc in good care you can still sell it in the future in a reasonable price. so your investment is not nill after you've enjoyed it.

Pens Actively In Use

I went straight for the 149 and the nib is so rewarding that I'm usually able to ignore the too light weight of the pen [i like 'em heavy and silver]. The Shaw was and is a great LE for a woman who does marathons of writing.

The nibs on the MBs are what do it for me. The Bs are absolute perfection.

I own four vintage 149s and two vintage 146s. My favorite is my latest 1985 MB149 with its flexible fine nib. The inkflow is excellent and consistant. The nib glides on paper and is always a pleasure to write with. I also used during 3 months my 1986 MB146 with semi flex extra fine nib, one of the very best nibs I have written with. Whether you get a 146 or a 149, you will never regret it.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I agree wholeheartedly. Having writing on the small side I've used fines and mediums. But recently I tried a B, and it's now my favorite.

I mentioned this earlier, but MB Broads are quite stubbish (thinner vertical and broad horizontal) which allows me to write within my range. The broads of oher brands I've tried are simply larger round tips without line variation, so I cannot use them. Whatever MB I get next will likely have a B or OB. :thumbup:

Best,

Jeen

I agree wholeheartedly. Having writing on the small side I've used fines and mediums. But recently I tried a B, and it's now my favorite.

I mentioned this earlier, but MB Broads are quite stubbish (thinner vertical and broad horizontal) which allows me to write within my range. The broads of oher brands I've tried are simply larger round tips without line variation, so I cannot use them. Whatever MB I get next will likely have a B or OB. :thumbup:

Best,

Jeen

jeen,

Would you mean MB "B" nibs going wider in vertical and thinner horizontal? Please correct me if I am wrong!

cheers,

archie

Pens Actively In Use

Best,

Jeen

jeen,

Would you mean MB "B" nibs going wider in vertical and thinner horizontal? Please correct me if I am wrong!

cheers,

archie

Dear Archie,

The way I write I actually do get thicker horizontal and thinner diagnonal and vertical lines.

I highly recommend testing a B. I'm using the wonderful MB Bordeaux, and my writing looks like someone's more elegant hand.

Best,

Jeen