The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pilot (Namiki) Vanishing Point fine nib -- 3x5 Review

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 katfisch

katfisch

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 05:17

As a personal test of willpower, I've been trying to avoid getting a Vanishing Point for several months. Alas, the quill turned out to be mightier than the will (sorry).
It came promptly with free shipping from Montgomery Pens for $111.96. On their website, they call it a Namiki and I wondered if it would be branded as such, but nope, it says "Pilot". The black lacquer finish is very rich and is complimented by the bright gold trim and nib (or maybe the other way around). It writes well upside down, and right side up, and the clip doesn't bother me in either position -- it actually helps keep the nib oriented properly. I'm going to love this pen.
Remember, the sample card below only measures 3x5 inches, and probably looks a lot bigger on your screen.
PilotVanishingPointReview_2_6_09.jpg
VPclosed.jpg
VPopen.jpg
VPnib_under.jpg

Edited by katfisch, 07 February 2009 - 16:43.

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try.
- Mark Twain

Sponsored Content

#2 asimplemaestro

asimplemaestro

Montblancs are like crack...but more expensive.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2009 - 05:31

Glad it's smooth...my fine nib was too gritty for me and I traded it for a medium.

#3 PenFisher

PenFisher

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,666 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 04:49

Thanks for this review. I too had been resisting this pen for some unknown reason. Then a decent used one popped up in the marketplace and I just grabbed it without thinking. It should be arriving in a few days...then I can put it to the test. Thanks again for the 3x5 review and pictures.

#4 Peter from Sherwood Park

Peter from Sherwood Park

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,973 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 04:52

Thank you for this review -- I am amazed at what you can get on a 3 x 5 card. Great pen!

#5 ProsaicParadise

ProsaicParadise

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 06:52

Ouch, I've been working on that willpower thing with this very same pen myself. You're not helping. smile.gif

#6 krom101

krom101

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 19:42

Great revue. I think everyone owes themselves at least one vanishing point. I have two older Namiki branded ones, one fine and one medium. The fine nibbed one is the ne plus ultra pen for newspaper crossword puzzles.

#7 david6

david6

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 February 2009 - 20:00

Thanks for the review. One of my carry everywhere pens - it is so convenient to use. Mine has a broad nib and it is sooooooo smooth

Edited by david6, 17 February 2009 - 20:02.

#8 Pen2009

Pen2009

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,513 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:05

A nice review. Which do you use your VP with, a VP twist converter or a cartridge? If you are using a twister converter, do you find it holds ink less than other converters?
My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

#9 lowks

lowks

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 June 2009 - 00:44

Thank you for reviewing one of my personal favorites.

Sponsored Content

|