Warwick ??

kjervin

Warwick pens? I was at an antique store and picked up a cheap plastic lever filler stamped Warwick.I picked it up because I didn't have a lever filler yet and ignorance breeds fear. I tried a quick intenet search and found nothing except references to place name. I figured they weren't a big name, and I know the pen is mnot worth a whole lot (maybe not even the $6 Ipaid) I am just curious as to the history of it. Any leads appreciated.

Kj

Aunty Entity: Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome, and death is listening, and will take the first man that screams.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aysedasi

• Maja

• Usui

• mjb30

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I can't help you Kj, but congrats on your first lever-filler! :)

Weird coincidence: Back in in Feb 2003, someone on the Zoss list asked about more info on a Warwick pen he had (link here), but I don't see any responses to the question.... :(

I looked on Zoss again, and at this other link

you will see a mention of some Stratford "Warwick" fountain pens (5th paragraph down), but I don't know if they are "related" to your pen....

Hopefully Rob or George or someone else can fill us in....

Edited by Maja

Rob, thank you for your post...I like your digressions :)

A while back, you and I were e-mailing each other about that Eclipse pen co. question I had (I had recently "discovered" some lesser-known Eclipse brands) and you commented that many pen companies made "off-shoot" brands (such as Stratford pens made by Salz). It's an interesting subject....I wonder how many actual pen manufacturers (as opposed to brands) there were in the U.S....

PS. Is there anything below 5th tier? :lol: I have a tiny little ivory-coloured Welsharp lever-filler that I got for about $6 USD....Is that made by the Welsh pen co.?

• 3 years later...

Can I bring this thread back to life?

I've just received a Warwick pen I bought on impulse on Ebay for less than $5. It's fairly pleasant to look at, reasonably utilitarian, but has a nice fine nib (and that comes from someone who rarely praises fine nibs!) and writes extremely well. Anyone have any ideas?

Here are the pics from the auction -

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

LoL This is what I think about when I hear warwick

http://snarkerati.com/movie-news/files/2008/06/willow-warwick-davies.jpg

Luke 13:1-9 saved my life.

• 1 year later...

Bump

I too have a Warwick pen in my collection, shape is almost akin to a skyline... The nib is quite small. I've never inked it. It's green with a gold cap and lever, perhaps I will give it it's maiden filling in March for St. Patrick's Day...

Pic for reference below:

http://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/warwick.jpg

Currently Inked:

Montegrappa Extra 1930 Shiny Lines "Dove" L.E. (05/80) - Montblanc Permanent Grey (90yr Anniversary)

Pineider Arco - Monteverde Scotch Brown

Montblanc Rouge et Noir - Montblanc Bleu Nuit

Montblanc Meisterstuck Ultra Black - Pilot Iroshizuku Take-Sumi

Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age Maxi - J. Herbin Lie de Thé

http://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/LetterExchange_sm.png

• 7 months later...

Breathing life into this post one more time - I picked up a mini-Warwick from eBay with a tiny nib, but if wrote very well. Well enough that I picked up a full-sized one when I saw it (though it needs a new sac). The only info I've found on them is this link: Salz Pen Co.

Rick B.

If Warwick was connected to Stratford, then they were made by Salz. Salz morphed into Straford in the late 30s - as a lower-tier pen.

As for the Welsharp, I believe that is a documented brand of the Welsh Pen Co. of Providence RI, which was a seriously 3rd tier company.

John

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

• 8 months later...

Bump

I too have a Warwick pen in my collection, shape is almost akin to a skyline... The nib is quite small. I've never inked it. It's green with a gold cap and lever, perhaps I will give it it's maiden filling in March for St. Patrick's Day...

Pic for reference below:

http://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/warwick.jpg

I did an Internet search to find out more about my pen, and it directed me back here. I, too, have a Warwick. It is shaped just like the green one in your picture, but it is solid gray softer plastic, obviously cheap even when new. It sits comfortably in my hand, though. I am having problems with the ink feed, and I don't know whether it is because it is a cheap, old, obviously used pen or if it is something that could be fixed by adjusting the nib. ( I'm showing my inexperience here!)

When first start to write, the ink blurts out and bleeds through the paper (except for the rhodia) but after a few lines it smooths out. When the ink is flowing right, it suits my handwriting very well, but I can't afford to waste a paragraph of ink every time I want to write!

Suggestions anyone?

"Life is too big for words, so don't try to describe it. Just live it."

- C.S. Lewis

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• 1 year later...

Warwick Pens, I bought three "new old stock" red, green, and blue, and they feel just so school day's like beside the MB's. Still I have dipped one in good ink and it writes great. Perhaps this would illustrate the fancy uselessness of owning expensive beautiful pens. The problem as you all know is that there is somethig irresistible in beautiful pens. Have you read "The Collector" by John Fowles?.

Edited by magialogica

• 2 years later...

I was doing some research on The Holt Pen Company yesterday and talked to the West Warwick, Rhode Island library reference department and they did some look ups for me in the early and mid 1950's city directories for West Warwick. Holt was located at 100 Pulaski Street during the years the reference clerk looked through.The Warwick Pen Company occupied the same address in one of those years, but I did not write down which one as I was not looking for information on the Warwick Pen Company.

A Google Maps street view of 100 Pulaski Street and other sites shows it to a large building of approximately 22,000 sq feet with loading docks. It is no longer occupied and in disrepair.

So it would appear that Warwick Pen Company was associated with The Holt Pen Company, George C. Holt, president.

• 4 months later...

I picked up the same green pen today Aug. 20, 2015 in Asbury Park NJ antique shop. Mine is a broad nib. Has anyone found any other information on the Warwick Pen Company?

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

No more information on the company, but I can attest that these pens clean up and write very nicely. Even a hint of flex if you are careful not to use pressure most of the time.

ron