The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Fuliwen 2051 Series Fountain Pen ( Teal Color)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lehnsherr

Lehnsherr

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 11:37

Pardon my language and grammatical errors....

Perhaps most members might have seen the review by FP Writing sometime back. His was a Yellow and mine's a teal color. Not only this is my 1st review, it is also my first step into trying out Chinese made pens other than Hero.

Initial Impression...
The lacquered teal color on brass is properly done, and that there is no indication to show the true value of this pen, due to the absence of any Branding and decorations such as jewels or engravings.

Hold and Feel...
Well its brass, definitely of certain weight. The pen can be used posted, however I prefer to use it unposted as the edge of the cap when posted, makes the pen feels awkward when holding. Some users might not like the pen being a bit too thick near the section (sort of like the issue with Pilot Bamboo). One thing I like about this pen, is that the cap caps on securely with a loud and sound click. I have a small collection of Pens but this pen clicks the loudest and require more force in capping and uncapping.

Nib...
A rigid stainless steel F nib. IPG nib but I guess it's made in China. It writes but not very smoothly, however didn't skip a bit. I inked it with PR Tanzanite.

Filling System...
Takes International Cartridge/Converter and the pen is shipped with a somewhat cheap looking converter, I was surprised to find a small bead of plastic within the converter, guess Fuliwen placed it ink with the intention of achieving the effects what the steel bead from Platinum ink cartridges brings. Despite the cheap looks the Converter takes ink smoothly without any problems.

Final Impression
After a 2 hour lecture with it today, I would say that this pen is not something I would love using it, but given the price I paid for it, its great that it didn't turn out to be a nightmare to use.

Currently Using: Pelikan M805

Sponsored Content

#2 Ondina

Ondina

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,924 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:58

The shape reminds me of MB M. Dietrich, seems a nice pen, although metal sections are not for me. Nice you like your new pen. Thanks for the review.

#3 MYU

MYU

... The key to it all is Capillary Action! ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,643 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2009 - 22:46

Thanks for this review... hadn't seen the 2051 before. It does have a bit of MB Dietrich in styling, specifically with the curvy cap. Is the color really teal? It looks more like sky blue in the photos. Perhaps the color balancing of the photograph was off? hmm1.gif

[MYU's Pen Review Corner]   |   "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

#4 Namo

Namo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,414 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 23:42

I have the same pen, only in yellow. The nib says: "Iridium point Germany" and seems very similar with some Acura nibs.

My Fuliwen is very rigid, but write very smoothly. Wetness is nice and no skiping.

Thanks for the review and the pics. The blue looks fantastic!

QUOTE (Lehnsherr @ Feb 2 2009, 11:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pardon my language and grammatical errors....

Perhaps most members might have seen the review by FP Writing sometime back. His was a Yellow and mine's a teal color. Not only this is my 1st review, it is also my first step into trying out Chinese made pens other than Hero.

Initial Impression...
The lacquered teal color on brass is properly done, and that there is no indication to show the true value of this pen, due to the absence of any Branding and decorations such as jewels or engravings.

Hold and Feel...
Well its brass, definitely of certain weight. The pen can be used posted, however I prefer to use it unposted as the edge of the cap when posted, makes the pen feels awkward when holding. Some users might not like the pen being a bit too thick near the section (sort of like the issue with Pilot Bamboo). One thing I like about this pen, is that the cap caps on securely with a loud and sound click. I have a small collection of Pens but this pen clicks the loudest and require more force in capping and uncapping.

Nib...
A rigid stainless steel F nib. IPG nib but I guess it's made in China. It writes but not very smoothly, however didn't skip a bit. I inked it with PR Tanzanite.

Filling System...
Takes International Cartridge/Converter and the pen is shipped with a somewhat cheap looking converter, I was surprised to find a small bead of plastic within the converter, guess Fuliwen placed it ink with the intention of achieving the effects what the steel bead from Platinum ink cartridges brings. Despite the cheap looks the Converter takes ink smoothly without any problems.

Final Impression
After a 2 hour lecture with it today, I would say that this pen is not something I would love using it, but given the price I paid for it, its great that it didn't turn out to be a nightmare to use.

Edited by Namo, 03 February 2009 - 23:43.

amonjak.com

cropped-amonjak-partie-4-de-4_page_4-modifiee1.jpg  

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

#5 Lehnsherr

Lehnsherr

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:58

QUOTE (MYU @ Feb 4 2009, 06:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for this review... hadn't seen the 2051 before. It does have a bit of MB Dietrich in styling, specifically with the curvy cap. Is the color really teal? It looks more like sky blue in the photos. Perhaps the color balancing of the photograph was off? hmm1.gif

You are spot on with regards to the color balancing....cellphone cameras just couldn't make it! The color to my naked eyes is indeed a teal color.

#6 Lehnsherr

Lehnsherr

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 07:47

Bought a real camera and here is a picture of the pen again. The colors are close to the actual pen

#7 DSMN

DSMN

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 00:02

I'm considering this pen due to the weight you speak of. Did you get a weight on it, in grams?

Sponsored Content

|