Conklin New Mark Twain Crescent

reprieve

QUOTE (Dennis B @ Jul 10 2009, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone had one of these apart? The sac nipple is tiny and there is a small O ring. Can't really figure out where the O ring goes. Doesn't seem to fit anyplace. Maybe it's supposed to hold the sac on the nipple, but I couldn't get that to work either. I just used shellac like I would on any pen with a sac.

Thoughts or experience with this?

Dennis B

Just had to take it apart didn't you. While I haven't gotten as bold as to take the sac off and see how that all works, I have taken it almost completely apart. I thought it would be more complex, but it's really a pretty clever and elegant design.

Aaron

Aaron,

If you do take yours all the way apart, let me know about that O ring. There's actually nothing inside except the cresent which is part of the presser bar.

Dennis B

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• reprieve

• ethernautrix

• Dennis B

• LedZepGirl

Out of curiosity I took the the whole thing apart, the sac and everything. The O ring fits around the nipple and holds the sac on. When I seen that I had the urge to get out my shellac and stick it on better, but then I decided to leave it as it is and see what happens. Thus far there have been no leaks or the sac coming lose inside the pen- that's the worst! (There's nothing worse than picking up a pen to find ink leaking out around the lever #@#*!!!!)

I'd rather spend my money on pens instead of shoes and handbags.

>>> My Blog <<<

The O ring fits around the nipple and holds the sac on.

Thanks for confirming what I thought the purpose was. I just couldn't get it back over the nipple without pushing the sac off.

Dennis B

Reprieve, what did you end up doing with this? Did you buy one or not?

Not yet. I really should have taken advantage of Speerbob's sale, but I had my heart set on a broad nib. I can't quite bring myself to pay $132 at Fahrney's or FPH, when I know it has been sold for $75.

• 8 years later...

I have just ordered a Conklin Mark Twain (Fine) Black Chased Gold... super excited to ink it up. I'm quite the Noodler Nut, but have a pretty broad pallets to experiment. As I prefer something with water resistant qualities. I read that it's a wet one, and pens vary even within model, but has anyone dialed in an ink you really like in this. (BTW; my writing is typically on what most would consider the small side)

Edited by 1791thinkshop

Semper Fidelis, Shannon

me@1791thinkshop.com

'Smooth is Fast, Fast is Smooth'

• 1 month later...

How are the nibs on these? Are they plagued with the same issues that the fine and medium duragraphs are known for?

Hi,

I really like my modern Mark Twain. Since it is a sac pen, I would recommend only using the "safest" inks.

Waterman, Pelikan,Sheaffer, et al.

Steve P.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 2 2009, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for posting. You know, you could fix the nib yourself if it needs it. Just use your fingers, fingernails, and a loupe or magnifying glass to check on progress each time you make a small adjustment. Don't try to make the correction all at once. However, if you like it the way it is then keep it like that. I like your handwriting.

Thanks, Brian.

UPDATE: Last night, I tried flexing the nib on the page first on this side, then on that side (of the nib). Then I tried criss-crossing the tines. ALL VERY GINGERLY.

Then I repeated that process until I got so fed up, I threw the pen nib first into the kitchen sink, on purpose.

I kid! There were dinner dishes in the way. What kind of cretin do you take me for?

I got out the needlenose pliers.

And I ever so gently, with infinite patience, tinkered with the nib.

By George, I think she's fixed it!

The nib's ever so slightly scratched (heh), but I don't care! Know why? Cos it writes WAY BETTER! I win!

Also? BONUS JOY: I inked it up with Sailor Jentle buraku inku (say it out loud), and that ink is BLACK! Black, black, black, black, black. WOW! I'll have to test it on various paper to see if it feathers (as it does on this Staples steno notebook). That is some smooooooove velvety desert night black if there were no such things as stars and street lamps.

I liiiike it. I like it a lot.

And now, apropos the Morning Ritual thread, I'm late. D'OH!

Next time, put some electrical or masking tape on the plier jaws.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)