Conklin New Mark Twain Crescent

reprieve

I like the line the nib writes:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3262/3247426681_e1424f6399.jpg

Thanks for posting. You know, you could fix the nib yourself if it needs it. Just use your fingers, fingernails, and a loupe or magnifying glass to check on progress each time you make a small adjustment. Don't try to make the correction all at once. However, if you like it the way it is then keep it like that. I like your handwriting.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• reprieve

• ethernautrix

• Dennis B

• LedZepGirl

Thanks for posting. You know, you could fix the nib yourself if it needs it. Just use your fingers, fingernails, and a loupe or magnifying glass to check on progress each time you make a small adjustment. Don't try to make the correction all at once. However, if you like it the way it is then keep it like that. I like your handwriting.

Thanks, Brian.

UPDATE: Last night, I tried flexing the nib on the page first on this side, then on that side (of the nib). Then I tried criss-crossing the tines. ALL VERY GINGERLY.

Then I repeated that process until I got so fed up, I threw the pen nib first into the kitchen sink, on purpose.

I kid! There were dinner dishes in the way. What kind of cretin do you take me for?

I got out the needlenose pliers.

And I ever so gently, with infinite patience, tinkered with the nib.

By George, I think she's fixed it!

The nib's ever so slightly scratched (heh), but I don't care! Know why? Cos it writes WAY BETTER! I win!

Also? BONUS JOY: I inked it up with Sailor Jentle buraku inku (say it out loud), and that ink is BLACK! Black, black, black, black, black. WOW! I'll have to test it on various paper to see if it feathers (as it does on this Staples steno notebook). That is some smooooooove velvety desert night black if there were no such things as stars and street lamps.

I liiiike it. I like it a lot.

And now, apropos the Morning Ritual thread, I'm late. D'OH!

Edited by ethernautrix

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

And another nibmeister joins the crowd!

Are you a deity yet? :happyberet:

The moment we want to believe something, we suddenly see all the arguments for it, and become blind to the arguments against it.

~ Bernard Shaw.

And another nibmeister joins the crowd!

Are you a deity yet? :happyberet:

What did you call me?!

(Ha ha ha!)

Well... I did fix the Visconti Metropolis "re-grind" (went from a smooth, wet, fat F to an ice pick crochet needle).

And now this. Hrm. And both loupe-less. Ha, I am NOT loupey!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

...it writes WAY BETTER! I win!

Also? BONUS JOY: I inked it up with Sailor Jentle buraku inku (say it out loud), and that ink is BLACK! Black, black, black, black, black. WOW! I'll have to test it on various paper to see if it feathers (as it does on this Staples steno notebook). That is some smooooooove velvety desert night black if there were no such things as stars and street lamps.

I liiiike it. I like it a lot.

I like that story, it was sooo funny... a hoot...Thanks for making me laugh.

I got the green and gold version of this pen today from my local shop and it is absolutely perfect. The resin has a multilayered depth to it that does not come across in photos. The trim, crescent and ring are tight and do not rattle. The crescent is perfectly aligned with both the nib and the clip. The steel nib is a Fine that writes perfectly (I tested it in the store along with several other nibs that were less perfect). To my amazement, it puts down a true fine line.

The new Crescent is considerably lighter in weight than the older version. To me this is actually a good thing, because the older model is borderline too heavy (I have the black chased celluloid with sterling trim). I am pleasantly surprised and impressed with the new Crescent, but would recommend buying it from a local store where you have a chance to examine and try it out in person.

http://bromfieldpenshop.com/images/product/full/MTCCFP02.jpg

[image from the Bromfield Pen Shop]

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking to purchase this pen within the next couple of weeks. I'm giving my local B&M store a chance at a sale before I go to net. However, I was wondering if any of you would be willing to compare sizes, let's say, a Pelikan M400 or a Snorkel? How does it does the raised band (crescent filler) feel when being held while writing?

Thanks in advance,

Edited by gwcisco

http://garyw.net

Follow me on Twitter.

• 4 months later...

To all of you that have the Conklin Mark Twain Crescent,

Now that several months have passed since you bought this pen, how do you feel about it now?

Would you still buy it again given your experienc with it?

Thanks.

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

To all of you that have the Conklin Mark Twain Crescent,

Now that several months have passed since you bought this pen, how do you feel about it now?

Would you still buy it again given your experienc with it?

Thanks.

At the price I paid, likely. It's an okay pen, certainly not in the class of the original but not a total dog either.

Never again, nice filling system, but I had the same proble as ethernautrix, bent tines. I straightened and replaced the cap. Bent again. I replaced with a slightly shorter nib and it's ok, not great but ok

Please do not listen to me. My opinions do not count

Yes, esp. at close-out prices. It's not a serious pen love thing, but I really, really like it. I use it for long writing sessions even. It will remain in my regular rotation for some time, I think.

I would have liked to have seen/held the version just prior to this MT Crescent -- the version in celluloid.

I didn't have the nib problems some are reporting. FYI: It's not anywhere near the class of your other pens, Archimark.

Cheers,

Julie

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

I have the blue version with gold point. It won't start without much coaxing. I examined the nib(fine) and it doesn't appear bent or splayed. Maby a nib flossing is in order? I got it at closeout pricing (50% off) and I would never consider paying retail for anything Conklin made. I think that if Yafa did buy Conklin, they had better redesign the nibs.

Secundum Artem

At the price I paid, likely. It's an okay pen, certainly not in the class of the original but not a total dog either.

Never again, nice filling system, but I had the same proble as ethernautrix, bent tines. I straightened and replaced the cap. Bent again. I replaced with a slightly shorter nib and it's ok, not great but ok

I have the Mark Twain Crescent with fine gold nib in butterscotch color and love it!!

Yes, esp. at close-out prices. It's not a serious pen love thing, but I really, really like it. I use it for long writing sessions even. It will remain in my regular rotation for some time, I think.

I would have liked to have seen/held the version just prior to this MT Crescent -- the version in celluloid.

I didn't have the nib problems some are reporting. FYI: It's not anywhere near the class of your other pens, Archimark.

Cheers,

Julie

I have the blue version with gold point. It won't start without much coaxing. I examined the nib(fine) and it doesn't appear bent or splayed. Maby a nib flossing is in order? I got it at closeout pricing (50% off) and I would never consider paying retail for anything Conklin made. I think that if Yafa did buy Conklin, they had better redesign the nibs.

THANKS to all of you that replied. Really appreciate the feedback!

Sounds, like there's maybe:

3 Yes

1 No

1 Maybe?

;)

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

I purchased the green/gold verson with medium steel nib through Speerbob. I've had it for about two months.

Overall, I like the pen. It's a great color and I like the size. The crescent filler is an interesting variation from my other fountain pens and, no, the crescent doesn't interfere with writing, the crescent is pretty high up on the barrel of the pen.

The Mark Twain starts reliably and writes well with a full medium line. My only issue is that it writes so wet. The pen soaked through notebook paper using Sailor Gentle Black ink. It wrote ok with the Staples sugar cane pad and on high quality stationary but I think I'll get someone to adjust it for me to dry it out a little.

I'd buy it again at the $75 price I paid. I'm still seeing the pen being sold at $149 when I visit pen shops and I'd not pay that for a pen of this quality when I can get a Visconti or Platinum gold nib pen for that price or less.

I love mine. :wub: I got it a few weeks ago and it's been nothing but good for me. The discount I got made it worth every penny.

I'd rather spend my money on pens instead of shoes and handbags.

>>> My Blog <<<

Hey, good for you, Zep! Glad you found the cash for it!

For my money, I'll take a Conklin steel nib any day over their gold nibs. I've had a LOT of problems with their gold nibs, but their steelies have always been very nice writers. The feeds have been quite problematic, but the nibs themselves are really nice. My wife has a steel-nib'd Mark Twain Signature in pink with a steel medium, and it's one of the nicest steel nibs I've ever written with that hadn't been reground by me or someone else.

Reprieve, what did you end up doing with this? Did you buy one or not?

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1118/726404937_328386ddc6_o.jpg

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

This one is on my radar. If I can still find one on sale for that price come late August/early September, after my birthday, I might pick one up just because I want a crescent filler. Of course, I still want a Pilot Decimo right now too...

"In this world... you must be oh, so smart, or oh, so pleasant. Well for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant."

Anyone had one of these apart? The sac nipple is tiny and there is a small O ring. Can't really figure out where the O ring goes. Doesn't seem to fit anyplace. Maybe it's supposed to hold the sac on the nipple, but I couldn't get that to work either. I just used shellac like I would on any pen with a sac.

Thoughts or experience with this?

Dennis B

QUOTE (Dennis B @ Jul 10 2009, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone had one of these apart? The sac nipple is tiny and there is a small O ring. Can't really figure out where the O ring goes. Doesn't seem to fit anyplace. Maybe it's supposed to hold the sac on the nipple, but I couldn't get that to work either. I just used shellac like I would on any pen with a sac.

Thoughts or experience with this?

Dennis B

Just had to take it apart didn't you. While I haven't gotten as bold as to take the sac off and see how that all works, I have taken it almost completely apart. I thought it would be more complex, but it's really a pretty clever and elegant design.

Aaron

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png