Mabie Todd Swan

I recently inherited this Swan pen from my father. I know nothing about these pens and would greatly appreciate any information anyone could supply about the model, model year and the filling mechanism. There's no lever; the end of the blind cap unscrews but doesn't pull out as far as I can see. As I have tried to show in the images, the section pulls out from the barrel. There's quite a lot of brassing, including a brassing ring around the one end. I dipped the pen and it writes quite nicely although the tines are a little malaligned; the nib is flexible. Thanks in advance....

post-19597-1233356979_thumb.jpg

post-19597-1233356988_thumb.jpg

post-19597-1233357000_thumb.jpg

post-19597-1233357007_thumb.jpg

David

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DKbRS

• Breck

• soapytwist

• RevAaron

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's a Leverless model (the end of the barrel should unscrew about 2.5 turns, which twists and collapses the rubber sac inside; screwing it back in reverses the action and fills the pen). The plastic ones normally have a model code on the barrel end but I'm unsure if yours does - if it is I'd have a guess at it being L202/RG. The date is late thirties; the ad I'm looking at with your pen in it is 1938. Thirties Swans are very pleasurable pens to use IMO, and yours looks like a user with the brassing it has - enjoy!

Edited by soapytwist

"Truth can never be told, so as to be understood, and not be believ'd." (Wiiliam Blake)

Visit my review: Thirty Pens in Thirty Days

You've got a very beautiful, late 1930s Mabie-Todd Swan leverless. Leverless models work by twisting the blind-cap. This wrings out the ink-sac inside like a wet towel, and forces out the ink. Unwringing the sac sucks ink back in (or it's meant to, I've read posts that say it's not as effective as the lever-system).

I have an instruction sheet from 1946 which details how to work the leverless system, it says:

DIRECTIONS FOR USING THE SWAN PEN.

LEVERLESS TYPE - HOW TO FILL:

Well immerse the nib in the ink (Swan ink recommended), and turn the knurled knob at the top of the barrel to the left, as far as it will go. Then, with the nib still immersed, turn the knob back to its original position and pause a moment so that the reservoir may draw in its full amount of ink; this is important.

http://www.throughouthistory.com/ - My Blog on History & Antiques

It's a beautiful example of a Leverless Swan, as stated above. My favorite line of pens, if I had to choose one right now. Yours looks eminently restorable, and should provide decades of enjoyable use if you decide to do so.

Aside: Your avatar is fascinating.

Aside: Your avatar is fascinating.

Thanks; yours is also great! Any guesses as to what mine might be? Clue: It's a Photoshopped image of a pen.

David

Thanks all for your help. The cap on the end of the barrel only unscrews about 1 turn. I followed the instructions given by soapytwist and Shangas and it seems to have filled with ink quite happily and it's writing well and not leaking, yet. I think this is remarkable as I suspect that this pen hasn't been used for decades.

In terms of restoration, is it possible to restore the gold finish without costing an arm and a leg? Do you think it's worth it? Who'd be best for such a job?

David

Depends on what you judge to be an arm and a leg. FPN member Daniel Kirchheimer (kirchh) does plating restoration. The prices on his site might give you a rough idea, or you could email or PM him to draw his attention to this thread.

My guess on your avatar: Pilot VP (or close relative like decimo or Fermo, perhaps), head-on.

Depends on what you judge to be an arm and a leg. FPN member Daniel Kirchheimer (kirchh) does plating restoration. The prices on his site might give you a rough idea, or you could email or PM him to draw his attention to this thread.

My guess on your avatar: Pilot VP (or close relative like decimo or Fermo, perhaps), head-on.

Thanks. I'll check DK's site. And you're right on re the VP!

David

If you just want to use it (and let's face it you aren't going to sell something with such an emotional attachment!) there's a quick and dirty solution which is to polish the brass until it is the same colour as the gold and then lacquer it with clear nail varnish. With good preparation and fine brush you can get a good finish.

Of course you can always re-plate in the future - I would suggest yours just needs the blind cap touching up to make it presentable in the short term.

Edited by soapytwist

"Truth can never be told, so as to be understood, and not be believ'd." (Wiiliam Blake)

Visit my review: Thirty Pens in Thirty Days