WTB: Broken and mistreated Montblanc pens of any vintage! Here's your chance!

niksch

Seriously. I'm looking to buy modern and vintage Montblanc pens that are broken or misused. Photos of pieces and parts are a must.

Here is the opportunity for all of those folks who claim to have MB pens that self-exploded, or disintegrated on minimal contact with firm surfaces, to sell me the remains of their pen!

I'm standing by for the deluge of PMs and replies of FP users anxious to get rid of the remains of their pens.

Eric

Edited by niksch

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dillo

• niksch

• pb2

• PointyThings

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. After all the posts in various sub-forums by folks here about spontaneous disintegration of their MB pens, I'm very surprised no one has taken me up on my offer to buy the remnants of their MB writing instruments.

Folks must like to keep the remaining, but unusable, parts in a drawer...

Thank a Veteran.

Hi,

As far as I know, the only ones that actually spontaneously disintegrated were a defective run of 144 pens, but unfortunately, after seeing one pen explode, people became wary of the other pens and assumed other pens had exploded. From the reports I've read though, Montblanc did not handle this well and made people pay to get their pens fixed. When I went to the boutique, the person who ran it knew about the problem because a few different people came to him with a broken 144 and said it happened, but he dismissed all their stories as made up.

There are no other reports of spontaneous breakage I know of. However, there are stories of Montblanc that broke when dropped.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

There are no other reports of spontaneous breakage I know of. However, there are stories of Montblanc that broke when dropped.

Dillon

Ah, but isn't this this major complaint about MBs, that they break period? Just giving all those folks with broken MBs a chance to unload the remnants. Lex and I have both done this on the Pentrace GB, with little or no luck there either.

Thank a Veteran.

Wow. After all the posts in various sub-forums by folks here about spontaneous disintegration of their MB pens, I'm very surprised no one has taken me up on my offer to buy the remnants of their MB writing instruments.

Folks must like to keep the remaining, but unusable, parts in a drawer...

This doesn't help you, but a lot of people probably send their broken MB pens to Montblanc service for repair. Which might explain why not many broken pens are available.

Edited by KarlBarndt

Visit my new writing instrument buy/sell/trade community: Fountain Pen Classifieds

100% dedicated to making deals better for everyone! And it's FREE!

This doesn't help you, but a lot of people probably send their broken MB pens to Montblanc service for repair. Which might explain why not many broken pens are available.

Good point. You should contact Monblanc; they might sell you the broken parts and returned defective pens.

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

There are also many stories of MB that fell but didn't break. I guess it is a luck of the drop.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Good point. You should contact Monblanc; they might sell you the broken parts and returned defective pens.

I tried it with the national Montblanc service center in Bethlehem, PA. No dice.

They have an arrangement with Fountain Pen Hospital to sell vintage parts to them.

Visit my new writing instrument buy/sell/trade community: Fountain Pen Classifieds

100% dedicated to making deals better for everyone! And it's FREE!

• 3 weeks later...

I have one, but I am sentimentally attached to it.

She's slept in a drawer for twenty so years (see post), and I guess she'll just continue sleeping since nobody seems to have a spare section and nib to sell for a reasonable price.

So, for my experience, Montblancs CAN spontaneously disintegrate. :gaah:

Not all though, has not happened to my 146 yet... :glare:

Arnaldo

She's slept in a drawer for twenty so years (see post), and I guess she'll just continue sleeping since nobody seems to have a spare section and nib to sell for a reasonable price.

Is it a 144 that broke? A run of 144s had that problem. From what I know, if you pay MB, they might be able to fix it.

Dillon

Dillon

Is it a 144 that broke? A run of 144s had that problem. From what I know, if you pay MB, they might be able to fix it.

Dillon

No, its a 225 from the '70s, if you look at the link you can see it.

Arnaldo

That is a pity! It looks nice.

Dillon

Dillon

Seriously. I'm looking to buy modern and vintage Montblanc pens that are broken or misused. Photos of pieces and parts are a must.

Here is the opportunity for all of those folks who claim to have MB pens that self-exploded, or disintegrated on minimal contact with firm surfaces, to sell me the remains of their pen!

I'm standing by for the deluge of PMs and replies of FP users anxious to get rid of the remains of their pens.

Eric

I actually have one I'll sell you Eric. It's a 32 with a cracked fore-barrel. It writes beautifully and the piston works great. I've kept it taped so the cap does not fit on, as a desk pen because it writes so nicely (soft, slightly flexy medium), but dries out easily uncapped. I'll sell it to you for $500. .... :roflmho: .. Just kidding. Because you have been a blessing to all of us MB lovers, you can have the 32 for $32. :)

Edited by pb2

pendletonspens.com

~ May the Lord smile on you ~

Eric

I actually have one I'll sell you Eric. It's a 32 with a cracked fore-barrel. It writes beautifully and the piston works great. I've kept it taped so the cap does not fit on, as a desk pen because it writes so nicely (soft, slightly flexy medium), but dries out easily uncapped. I'll sell it to you for $500. .... :roflmho: .. Just kidding. Because you have been a blessing to all of us MB lovers, you can have the 32 for $32. :)

Oops, I had said it was a 34...I meant a 32. Fixed it.

Grins~

Pendleton

pendletonspens.com

Finally, an answer.

Eric

Grins~

Pendleton

Thank a Veteran.

Oh yeah, you wanted photos. Notice the black bandage in an attempt to slow the bleeding.

Finally, an answer.

Eric

Grins~

Pendleton

pendletonspens.com

WTB: Broken and mistreated Montblanc pens of any vintage!

Where's the truth in advertising?! Do you want any broken and mistreated MB, or just those which have exploded or cracked on a fall? If it's the former, I've a MB 342 that someone tore the jewel and clip from, and replaced it with what looks like an epoxied-in spitball. Some sort of attempt at a sharp italic nib, too. Definitely abused.

WTB: Lamy 27 w/ OB/OBB nibs; Pelikan 100 B nib

• 1 month later...

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files