Why my Lamy pens writes not the same as the others

LeoUK

Hello everyone, I have recently bought some lamy pens to collect:

1:Safari

2:al star

3:logo series

4:studio

5:accent

those pens all come with the same nib, Medium size, however, compared with the parker pen I am always use, I found, lamy pen writes though smoothly, the feeling is not as good as the parker pen I use, when you write horizontally, you will find the line is not as wide as the lines when you write vertically, however, I'd rather say it writes more like a calligraphic pen, but I infact know they are not.

All the five pens writes the same, i know their nibs are all the same.

On the other side, parker pens can give me the lines equally.

If you have lamy pens, how about yours?

Edited by LeoUK

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Goodwhiskers

• LeoUK

• Stylo

• konstantinos_d

Top Posters In This Topic

Off topic, but just out of interest, which pen do you think is better out of the Studio and the Accent? In terms of looks, balance, weight, etc.

frankly speaking, I love Studio more than the accent, not only because of its unique clip, but also the brushed stainless steel material, it's so nice~~~,the front of lamy 2000 also use the same material and the same as Lamy logo series pens.

most of my friends are also prefer it very much.

However, the nib does not give me much surprise...

The Lamy Safari-type nibs, in medium size, are slightly stub-shaped (the point area is wider than it is deep), which explains the visual effect LeoUK described.

Most Parker mediums write a little bit wetter than most Lamy Safari mediums, which probably explains the different feeling.

Also, the brand and color of ink makes a difference with smoothness; see the topic thread, "Lubricated inks, which brands are lubricated?" Lamy-brand inks flow freely (except for blue-black, which needs a wetter pen than most Lamy pens!), but they give less of a lubrication effect during writing than some other brands of ink.

I agree with Goodwhiskers on Lamy inks, their lubrificating properties are not the best, yet they feel watery (except maybe the purple together with the Blue-Black). As for the Studio nibs, my experience comes from the 14ct gold Fine Studio nib, which gives alot of feedback and needs to be held right to write smoothly, changing ink from Lamy Black to Sheaffer Skripp black has really improved the smoothness (btw the pen was checked and serviced by Lamy and no apparent problems were found), I have some Noodler's and PR on the way bought on purpose for the Studio. I guess I prefer the buttery smooth nib of my Sheaffer Imperial.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2310/1809344916_eb5d96c1e4_m.jpg

when you write horizontally, you will find the line is not as wide as the lines when you write vertically ...

Many people actually like and seek that characteristic in FP nibs. A slight "stubbiness" can sometimes be desirable on a regular nib.

The Lamy Safari-type nibs, in medium size, are slightly stub-shaped (the point area is wider than it is deep), which explains the visual effect LeoUK described.

Most Parker mediums write a little bit wetter than most Lamy Safari mediums, which probably explains the different feeling.

Also, the brand and color of ink makes a difference with smoothness; see the topic thread, "Lubricated inks, which brands are lubricated?" Lamy-brand inks flow freely (except for blue-black, which needs a wetter pen than most Lamy pens!), but they give less of a lubrication effect during writing than some other brands of ink.

I am glad that you brought this up!!! I was using Lamy Turquoise in my Bexley Owners Club with the nice wide stub. The flow was very nice but still somewhat lacked the lubricating properties that makes a nice wet and smooth layer between the paper and the nib. Regardless the ink is very close to that of Waterman South Seas blue and Private Reserve Naples Blue (IMHO is better than both in regards to lubrication).

I like Lamy black and is on my top 10 black ink list. Nice black that is a good all around black ink. Not pitch black like Aurora but on the lines of a Parker Quink Black.

The Lamy Blue Black (or document blue, I think) is a very very dry ink and I agree with you 100% that you need a super wet writer for this ink to flow well. I guess I rather use other Blue/Blacks instead and thats why I do not use it very often at all. I should consider dumping a bunch of inks that I do not use at all. I will have to sit down and see what I have and make a list.

TNS

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

I should consider dumping a bunch of inks that I do not use at all.  I will have to sit down and see what I have and make a list.

I'm looking forward to seeing that list :drool: .

Edited by Goodwhiskers