Cross vs Mont Blanc

jsroe

I have only used Cross fountain pens mainly because I have been sold on Cross with their excellent Century I ball point pens that I have use over 20 years. My curent collection is a basalt black ATX with fine nib, Sterling Silver Townsend with medium nib, and my latest Titian Red Apogee with fine nib. I love them all, especially the Townsend as it writes silky smooth and ink flow is so consistent, never skipped a heart beat, and it is so comfortable in my hand. I could write for hours with it without finger cramp. I see a lot of high end pen stores pushing Mont Blanc fountain pens. How does Cross fountain pens compare to Mont Blanc's finest? The Cross pens generally cost a lot less than the Mont Blanc's. Do the Mont Blanc pens offer that much more compared to the Cross, or is there a brand name factor that commands higher cost? I look forward to responses from users who have experience with both brands.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goodguy

• LouisA

• pajaro

• yachtsilverswan

I own both and would simply say that if you are comfortable with Cross then stick with it. By all means try a MB at a store but the fact that you have found a pen which is dependable and that pleases you is going to be a hell of a thing to beat. I personally think that MB charge quite a hefty brand premium but that doesn't stop me owning a few and enjoying them, but I also really like Cross (I just don't get on with the metal sections on a couple of their models).

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

Cross and MB both are nice pens. If you want an MB than I would suggest you to find a used one for a fair price to see if you like it. Personally I love my MB pens find them to be very good writers.

I have the silver Townsend and a MB 145 Chopin. Both write perfectly and they are my two "best" pens and neither has missed a single beat. I was fortunate in not having to pay money for the MB, only travel "points". I could not justify to myself paying that much for a MB so if I had not got it through travel, I would not have an MB.

Townsend is big and heavy but perfectly balanced unposted: the MB is small and light and perfectly balanced posted. I can and do write with either for hours without fatigue (apart from in the mind).

Chris

Cross pens will not impress shallow folks who are into status symbols where the MBs will. I love my Crossi and am very pleased with them. However, in an upscale business setting it might be seen as "common" whereas the MB might be a deal maker. Having never owned or even written with a MB, I cannot speak of the quality or elegance of the maker.

MB=Jaguar XKE 12 cylinder

Cross=Chevrolet 1 ton Pickup?

Let courage rise with danger, and strength to strength oppose.

There is no snooze button on a cat wanting breakfast.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Mont Blancs are nice pens that write well - but so are Cross pens. In terms of overall quality you are looking at comparable pens between these two makers but with a much lower price for your Cross. What you would be buying in addition to comparable quality if you went with a Mont Blanc is their intensive and very costly advertising scheme to make people think that Mont Blancs are somehow the 'pens of the rich and famous'. Their expensive advertising campaign has been quite successful and many people who not familiar with nice pens believe the hype of their advertising. For some people that is desireable, however, once you start using fine pens by various makers you will see that there are pen companies that make better quality for equal or less money.

If you want to impress people who are not familiar with pens other than what they read in glossy magazines aimed at weathy people then a Mont Blanc will do the job, if you want a more finely made pen that will impress other people who know and use fountain pens then you will do better to take some time and learn about and compare some other brands such as similarly priced models made by Pelikan (an old German pen making company) or several of the old Italian pen making companies such as Visconte, Stipula or Omas.

I would not say that "Cross pens are 'pickup truck' whereas MB pens are 'Jaguar'" is an accurate comparison. Cross pens are seen as traditional American writing instruments, and especially in New England it is popular to give sterling silver Cross pens as gifts on special and important occasions. Montblanc is seen as a luxury European brand. If cars must be involved, then I'd say that Cross is a Lincoln Town Car and Montblanc is a Mercedes SLK. Both are considered "nice", but in different contexts.

Montblanc does have some benefits that Cross does not, including: piston-filling pens, a more diverse range of designs and sizes, nibs made in-house, and the fact that they are made in Germany as opposed to China which is where Cross is now manufactured. Whether you think these features justify the price difference is up to you.

Edited by QM2

I think I'd actually also have to agree with QM's auto equilvalents. I do think

I'd have to bump the MB pen/MB car equivalent up to the more portly E class though.

It's somewhat humorous though that Deacon's selection for the MB pen was the XKE 12.

At least in the US, I think most car collectors feel that with the addition of that model,

the XKE had finally evolved to it's most porkescent and overly refined (govt approved

shock bumpers), excess for excess sake only form. Primo examples of the earlier 6

cylinder XKEs routinely bring higher $ at auction than the 12's. The earlier examples

handle much better and are deemed much closer to the original intent of the design.

At least between the two Jags, the modern MB pen would certainly have to be the 12

cylinder.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

2differences I forgot to mention between MB and Cross

1.Cross didnt change much the design of their pens and it looks nice and respectable.

MB on the other hand is changing its design every year and are amazily beautiful (a matter of personal taste of course) with the WE and POA pens.

2.Cross pens are (as far as I know) all made with C/C filler while most MB pens are piston fillers.I really dont like C/C fillers and almost never use pens with this system.Pistons on the other hand rocks and talks to the purist in me.

Edited by goodguy

Respect to all

When thinking about it I really dont think there is any point in comparing Cross to MB.Not because MB pens are so much better but because they are directed to very different crowds.

Cross make pens for very resonable prices for people who want reliable FP's or BP,no pazzaz,no fireworks just a good reliable work horse.

MB on the other hand is directed to people that want high end stuff,they aprreciate the workmanship put into it and want a high end producs.

MB is also apealling to collectors like me who enjoy collecting the pens.They invest in the boxes and packaging more then other companies that will try less to apeal to collectors.

I think Cross should be compared to companies that make good reliable writers like Pilot,Sailor,Duke and not to high end companies like Visconti,Omas,MB,Aurora...etc

Respect to all

I have nothing new or different to add. I think Cross pens are seen as workhorse tools and MB pens are advertized as functional prestige art. That being said, I agree with the others that both manufacturers make good writing pens. The choice of which brand you want is a very personal one.

I just want to add my agreement that if you find you like Cross pens, then just keep enjoying them.

Lots of folks on FPN enjoy their Cross ATX or Townsend Fountain Pens, as you've read. Lots enjoy their Montblancs.

Comparing the flagship Meisterstuck 149 (you said compare top of the line MB) with the Cross ATX or Townsend, the MB 149 is a much larger pen, with a much wider girth, holding much more ink in its piston reservoir. I find a larger, wider pen to be more comfortable because my medium sized (men's glove 7.5) fingers have room to relax in the grip on the section, rather than crowd around a relatively narrower girth pen like the Cross.

The Cross pens are cartridge / converter pens.

The nib and feed of a MB 149 is two to three times the size of the nib of a Cross pen - providing smoother more reliable flow and a little spring in the feel of the pen. My MB 149 is the only pen I own that can stay wet uncapped in a meeting where I take only occasional notes. My other pens dry out much more quickly if not constantly used or recapped.

Lastly, Cross pens are now all made in China - there are no remaining US manufacturing facilities. President Obama's new pens were made entirely in China, then engraved and fixed with the Presidential Seal in Rhode Island.

Montblancs are made in Germany, as they have been for 100 years. Montblanc 149 nibs are made by Montblanc. I believe Cross uses Bock nibs, like many other fountain pen manufacturers.

Montblancs have recently suffered a bit of an image backlash, particularly among fountain pen fans, particularly here - because of Montblanc's disproportionately higher price as a luxury item. Many fountain pen fans consider Montblanc to be the epitome of conspicuous consumption - they dislike Montblanc's lifestyle focused marketing. On the other hand, Montblanc is the only fountain pen brand known by most folks who do not own a fountain pen. Everyone recognizes the white star logo on the cap of a Montblanc.

In summary, the primary difference is size, the MB 149 being much bigger, much wider. So the choice depends on which feels more comfortable in your hand.

My MB 149 is one of my favorite pens ever. It is comfortable, understated and elegant, and writes a wet and reliable line. Many Montblanc owners keep and use their MB 149 for decades. I've owned and used mine for thirty years. It's a keeper.

Ray

Atlanta, Georgia

Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point with Richard Binder ItaliFine 0.9mm/F Nib

Faber Castell's Porsche Design with Gold & Stainless Mesh in Binderized CI Broad nib

Visconti LE Divina Proporzione in Gold with Binderized CI nib

David Oscarson Valhalla in gray (Thor) with Broad Binderized CI nib

Michel Perchin LE Blue Serpent (reviewed) with Binderized CI nib

Montblanc 149 in Medium Binderized CI nib

Montblanc Pope Julius II 888 Edition (reviewed) in Bold Binderized CI nib

Lots of folks on FPN enjoy their Cross ATX or Townsend Fountain Pens, as you've read. Lots enjoy their Montblancs.

Comparing the flagship Meisterstuck 149 (you said compare top of the line MB) with the Cross ATX or Townsend, the MB 149 is a much larger pen, with a much wider girth, holding much more ink in its piston reservoir. I find a larger, wider pen to be more comfortable because my medium sized (men's glove 7.5) fingers have room to relax in the grip on the section, rather than crowd around a relatively narrower girth pen like the Cross.

The Cross pens are cartridge / converter pens.

The nib and feed of a MB 149 is two to three times the size of the nib of a Cross pen - providing smoother more reliable flow and a little spring in the feel of the pen. My MB 149 is the only pen I own that can stay wet uncapped in a meeting where I take only occasional notes. My other pens dry out much more quickly if not constantly used or recapped.

Lastly, Cross pens are now all made in China - there are no remaining US manufacturing facilities. President Obama's new pens were made entirely in China, then engraved and fixed with the Presidential Seal in Rhode Island.

Montblancs are made in Germany, as they have been for 100 years. Montblanc 149 nibs are made by Montblanc. I believe Cross uses Bock nibs, like many other fountain pen manufacturers.

Montblancs have recently suffered a bit of an image backlash, particularly among fountain pen fans, particularly here - because of Montblanc's disproportionately higher price as a luxury item. Many fountain pen fans consider Montblanc to be the epitome of conspicuous consumption - they dislike Montblanc's lifestyle focused marketing. On the other hand, Montblanc is the only fountain pen brand known by most folks who do not own a fountain pen. Everyone recognizes the white star logo on the cap of a Montblanc.

In summary, the primary difference is size, the MB 149 being much bigger, much wider. So the choice depends on which feels more comfortable in your hand.

My MB 149 is one of my favorite pens ever. It is comfortable, understated and elegant, and writes a wet and reliable line. Many Montblanc owners keep and use their MB 149 for decades. I've owned and used mine for thirty years. It's a keeper.

Ohhh after reading this I must say-Thank god I already own (and adore :notworthy1: ) a MB 149 or else I would be forced to buy one just from reading your post :vbg:

Respect to all

Oh (Potty Mouth)! Now I've got the urge to try a 146! :o

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

If you compare a Cross Townsend to a Montblanc 149 you need to also say you are comparing a price of about $650 for the black plastic Montblanc to about $240 for the transparent laquer over engraved metal Cross.

Edited by Kimo

Oh (Potty Mouth)! Now I've got the urge to try a 146! :o

Thats what I did. It works very well for me. Easy to hold (bigger than some, smaller than the 149), ink window, on sale, classic black, juicy nib.

If you compare a Cross Townsend to a Montblanc 149 you need to also say you are comparing a price of about $650 for the black plastic Montblanc to about $240 for the transparent laquer over engraved metal Cross.

Used MB146s can be had on the forum for only $200. I just recently sold 2 in my collection. You do not have to spend a lot of money to enjoy a premium pen.

Todd

"I'm so optimistic I'd go after Moby Dick in a row boat and take the tartar sauce with me."

Do the Mont Blanc pens offer that much more compared to the Cross, or is there a brand name factor that commands higher cost?

Mont Blanc pens do not offer more compared to the Cross. Mont Blanc pens are hyped and there are many complaints about the quality/quality. Probably that is why Mont Blanc fp's come with 2 year warranty and Cross fp's with lifetime warranty.

see also:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=91772

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=75455

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=35243

Do the Mont Blanc pens offer that much more compared to the Cross, or is there a brand name factor that commands higher cost?

Mont Blanc pens do not offer more compared to the Cross. Mont Blanc pens are hyped and there are many complaints about the quality/quality. Probably that is why Mont Blanc fp's come with 2 year warranty and Cross fp's with lifetime warranty.

see also:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=91772

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=75455

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=35243

I have personally owned over 30 MontBlanc and never had a problem with one. The are always 2 sides to the story. I am sure there have been issues with Cross pens and NO pen is perfect by any means. It all boils down to personal preforance.

Todd

"I'm so optimistic I'd go after Moby Dick in a row boat and take the tartar sauce with me."