The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

What watch(es) do you wear with your Esterbrook?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 jimg

jimg

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:48

These days I only wear one watch, a manual 1961 Omega Seamaster with original cream dial and "crosshair" subsecond hand. The ritual of daily winding just seems right when using my vintage pens.

Sponsored Content

#22 grebmar

grebmar

I want a pensieve.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 14:25

I've never considered matching pen to watch. I'm not that obsessive compulsive, and it reflects more of the "expensive pen as necessary accessory" mindset than a tool used to write. Besides, I have only one watch! cool.gif
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

#23 prisonrodeo

prisonrodeo

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 15:19

QUOTE (RevAaron @ Jan 27 2009, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think I found my people! Do I have to ditch the vintage MB, Omas and UK Parker to join? smile.gif

Nah. They'll be perfectly happy in the drawer once you pick up a couple Esties... laugh.gif

#24 MrK

MrK

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 15:45

[attachment=42854:IMG_0358.JPG]

Usually this one.

My favorite financial blog...
http://www.zerohedge.com/

#25 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 January 2009 - 16:01

Don't those adversely affect the flow of a lowly Estie?
tongue.gif

Bruce in Ocala, FL

#26 MrK

MrK

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 16:06

QUOTE (OcalaFlGuy @ Jan 28 2009, 11:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't those adversely affect the flow of a lowly Estie?
tongue.gif

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Nope, quality is quality. Both watches are under the radar as well as an Esterbrook.

Best,
Evan

#27 Robert Hughes

Robert Hughes

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 17:12

That's some serious chronometridge, MrK!

I've got a manual wind watch - somewhere, just can't remember quite? Normally wear it to fancy soirees and first dates.

My day-to-day watch is by LG/Verizon. My other (biz) watch is by Motorola/Nextel. And you know, they both say the same thing, time-wise. Go figger...

Edited by Robert Hughes, 28 January 2009 - 17:15.

The moment we want to believe something, we suddenly see all the arguments for it, and become blind to the arguments against it.

~ Bernard Shaw.

#28 MrK

MrK

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 19:16

QUOTE (Robert Hughes @ Jan 28 2009, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's some serious chronometridge, MrK!

I've got a manual wind watch - somewhere, just can't remember quite? Normally wear it to fancy soirees and first dates.

My day-to-day watch is by LG/Verizon. My other (biz) watch is by Motorola/Nextel. And you know, they both say the same thing, time-wise. Go figger...

Thanks very much.

#29 gyasko

gyasko

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,158 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 04:10

QUOTE (RevAaron @ Jan 27 2009, 06:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (OcalaFlGuy @ Jan 26 2009, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just gouge out the snowflake and epoxy an Estie jewel in there.

No need to gouge! The Monte Rosa's derby unscrews quite easily- ironically, it's easier to repair than an Esterbrook's captop. Or maybe not ironically, MBs up until the 1960s were really great pens, among the best in the world. But anyway, you can unscrew the derby off of most any pre-1960s (and lots of post-60s) MBs- maybe we can make a little replacement derby to make our MBs a little more ... acceptable. tongue.gif

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but like MYU I've thought of putting a bit of tape over the snowflake on my 146s- I'm afraid to have anyone chat me up because they think I'm some beemer driving business man... for shame! biggrin.gif

I have an MB, but keine Schneeflockeproblem. Die Schneeflocke fiel ab.

Spontaneously! It must have known about me.

#30 Underskoterskan

Underskoterskan

Dipped for life

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 13:40

This is one of my favourites, a Rolex Air-King (P-series, manufactured in 2002) with the Rolex manufacture caliber 3130.

I like this outer box better than the new ones aswell.

Edited by Underskoterskan, 30 January 2009 - 13:41.

#31 MrK

MrK

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 15:47

One of the nicest models for it's understatement.

Best,
Evan

#32 gyasko

gyasko

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,158 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 22:51

Here's a 2284 on a J at 981 hPa

#33 RevAaron

RevAaron

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,931 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:26

Hey- they match! Classy! biggrin.gif
WTB: Ford's Patent Pen, Pilot Blue ink (Thai)
Also: Orthos Pens | Danish MB #4 nib | 1G Hundred Year Pen cap

#34 Fernan

Fernan

Explorateur

• Member - Gold

• 879 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2009 - 01:06

Today, a Seiko Chronograph, from the mid-70s.

However, unfortunately today, I didn't use an Esterbrook.

And I didn't have much time to look at the watch, only to check if I hadn't miss the express bus going home at the end of the day. I have yet to learn how to check for time on the new iPod nano I bought this weekend -- a fancy memory stick you can listen too, look at your favourite pictures, and lots of other things I don't know how I got along without them until today, ... interesting!

Fernan

#35 Firefyter-Emt

Firefyter-Emt

Fountain Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 02:26

I ditched a watch years ago when I started to use cell phones.

As for MB's? Do I win points for having my 244 in the shirt pocket of a flannel shirt and wearing jeans?
“If you want your children to improve, let them overhear the nice things you say about them to others.” ~Dr. Haim Ginott

Posted Image Posted Image

My Website

#36 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,204 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 02:44

QUOTE (Firefyter-Emt @ Feb 10 2009, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As for MB's? Do I win points for having my 244 in the shirt pocket of a flannel shirt and wearing jeans?

Careful, you may be sued for denigrating the brand with flannel and denim.

Todd
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#37 AndyH

AndyH

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 866 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 02:51

Whatever I feel like wearing. Isn't that kind of the point of Esterbrooks? wink.gif

Actually, I'm wearing an all weather Timex Expedition today, with BIG numbers. Most appropriate for the work I was doing today, and perhaps the most appropriate match for an Estie. You can afford a lot of them and they "take a lickin' and keep on tickin' (writin')!"

Edited by AndyH, 11 February 2009 - 04:34.

I'm Andy H and I approved this message.

#38 ToasterPastry

ToasterPastry

Uncrowned King of Finchley

• Member - Gold

• 1,169 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:57

Great thread! The original thread p'd me off in a great way, and I stated so. I may have taken it the wrong way, but it appears that many others took it the exact same way.

I love watches. Here are the three in current rotation (from left to right)...

1. Swatch Mechanical Automatic, 1992 Kyoto Summit commemorative watch; 25 Jewels, plastic case. I bought this watch on a whim about 9 years ago for $30 on eBay. I figure when it broke in a couple of months, I'd buy a new one. Finally after 8 years, I broke the case trying to attach a new plastic watch band. That watch kept absolutely perfect time. It never needed winding. Never needed cleaning (well you can't since the case is sealed). I was so sad when it broke, I bought another one--which tends to run a little fast.

2. Omega Mechanical Automatic, 1944. It was my father's watch right out of college as a graduation gift to himself. After he got it wet, it sat in a drawer for 20 years. I restored it, case, dial and all. I even had the hands gold plated. I wear it only on special occasions when I bring out my really nice pens. (LOL)

3. Basis Mechanical with calendar, stainless steel case. I purchased this watch on eBay for $10 from a retailer from Tel Aviv. Best $10 watch I have ever purchased. I wear this daily.

Edited by ToasterPastry, 11 February 2009 - 03:58.

Posted Image

Follow me on Twitter!
Read my silly blog!

#39 gyasko

gyasko

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,158 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:43

Toast --

Being the unexcitable person of Norwegian descent that i am, well, the original thread merely had my eyeballs rolling.

Anyway, nice watches! I like how they all show a different time.

#40 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,622 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 08:55

Right now, I just capped and put up my dark gray Esasty and have on a 1950 small rectangular Bulova that still keeps Bulova Time.
I guess I'll have to dig out one of my gold pocket watches should I ever get a Dollar pen. Or my Silver Omega for my Gray the next time I think of it. Many of my pocket watches are pre Esterbrook fountain pens...does that mean I have to go get 1900 pens?
Now that is becoming expensive in a hurry.

When I get a Copper one, I have some discreet gold wristwatches.
The problem I have is I have no blue or red watches....I just remembered I have a blue faced watch....but now have to be on the look out for something I've never seen before a wrist watch with a Red face.

Moreover, I'll have to upgrade my suits too.... Really I think I'll just get by with a red based western vest, becasue I'd really don't look good in a Red Suit...no one does.

I did not know we was more exclusive than MB's...dam...one should read the small print.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Sponsored Content

|