What watch(es) do you wear with your Esterbrook?

prisonrodeo

These days I only wear one watch, a manual 1961 Omega Seamaster with original cream dial and "crosshair" subsecond hand. The ritual of daily winding just seems right when using my vintage pens.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• gyasko

• RevAaron

• MrK

I've never considered matching pen to watch. I'm not that obsessive compulsive, and it reflects more of the "expensive pen as necessary accessory" mindset than a tool used to write. Besides, I have only one watch! B)

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

I think I found my people! Do I have to ditch the vintage MB, Omas and UK Parker to join? :)

Nah. They'll be perfectly happy in the drawer once you pick up a couple Esties... :lol:

That's some serious chronometridge, MrK!

I've got a manual wind watch - somewhere, just can't remember quite? Normally wear it to fancy soirees and first dates.

My day-to-day watch is by LG/Verizon. My other (biz) watch is by Motorola/Nextel. And you know, they both say the same thing, time-wise. Go figger...

Edited by Robert Hughes

The moment we want to believe something, we suddenly see all the arguments for it, and become blind to the arguments against it.

~ Bernard Shaw.

That's some serious chronometridge, MrK!

I've got a manual wind watch - somewhere, just can't remember quite? Normally wear it to fancy soirees and first dates.

My day-to-day watch is by LG/Verizon. My other (biz) watch is by Motorola/Nextel. And you know, they both say the same thing, time-wise. Go figger...

Thanks very much.

My favorite financial blog...

http://www.zerohedge.com/

Just gouge out the snowflake and epoxy an Estie jewel in there.

No need to gouge! The Monte Rosa's derby unscrews quite easily- ironically, it's easier to repair than an Esterbrook's captop. Or maybe not ironically, MBs up until the 1960s were really great pens, among the best in the world. But anyway, you can unscrew the derby off of most any pre-1960s (and lots of post-60s) MBs- maybe we can make a little replacement derby to make our MBs a little more ... acceptable. :P

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but like MYU I've thought of putting a bit of tape over the snowflake on my 146s- I'm afraid to have anyone chat me up because they think I'm some beemer driving business man... for shame! :D

I have an MB, but keine Schneeflockeproblem. Die Schneeflocke fiel ab.

Spontaneously! It must have known about me.

This is one of my favourites, a Rolex Air-King (P-series, manufactured in 2002) with the Rolex manufacture caliber 3130.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n318/underskoterskan/ROLEX18.jpg

I like this outer box better than the new ones aswell.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n318/underskoterskan/ROLEX11.jpg

Edited by Underskoterskan

Today, a Seiko Chronograph, from the mid-70s.

However, unfortunately today, I didn't use an Esterbrook.

And I didn't have much time to look at the watch, only to check if I hadn't miss the express bus going home at the end of the day. I have yet to learn how to check for time on the new iPod nano I bought this weekend -- a fancy memory stick you can listen too, look at your favourite pictures, and lots of other things I don't know how I got along without them until today, ... interesting!

Fernan

• 2 weeks later...

I ditched a watch years ago when I started to use cell phones.

As for MB's? Do I win points for having my 244 in the shirt pocket of a flannel shirt and wearing jeans?

“If you want your children to improve, let them overhear the nice things you say about them to others.” ~Dr. Haim Ginott

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/PostcardBadge.png http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/InkExchange.png

My Website

As for MB's? Do I win points for having my 244 in the shirt pocket of a flannel shirt and wearing jeans?

Careful, you may be sued for denigrating the brand with flannel and denim.

Todd

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Whatever I feel like wearing. Isn't that kind of the point of Esterbrooks? ;)

Actually, I'm wearing an all weather Timex Expedition today, with BIG numbers. Most appropriate for the work I was doing today, and perhaps the most appropriate match for an Estie. You can afford a lot of them and they "take a lickin' and keep on tickin' (writin')!"

Edited by AndyH

I'm Andy H and I approved this message.

Great thread! The original thread p'd me off in a great way, and I stated so. I may have taken it the wrong way, but it appears that many others took it the exact same way.

I love watches. Here are the three in current rotation (from left to right)...

1. Swatch Mechanical Automatic, 1992 Kyoto Summit commemorative watch; 25 Jewels, plastic case. I bought this watch on a whim about 9 years ago for $30 on eBay. I figure when it broke in a couple of months, I'd buy a new one. Finally after 8 years, I broke the case trying to attach a new plastic watch band. That watch kept absolutely perfect time. It never needed winding. Never needed cleaning (well you can't since the case is sealed). I was so sad when it broke, I bought another one--which tends to run a little fast.

2. Omega Mechanical Automatic, 1944. It was my father's watch right out of college as a graduation gift to himself. After he got it wet, it sat in a drawer for 20 years. I restored it, case, dial and all. I even had the hands gold plated. I wear it only on special occasions when I bring out my really nice pens. (LOL)

3. Basis Mechanical with calendar, stainless steel case. I purchased this watch on eBay for $10 from a retailer from Tel Aviv. Best $10 watch I have ever purchased. I wear this daily.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn130/ToasterPastryphoto/Watchesandpens.jpg

Edited by ToasterPastry

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn130/ToasterPastryphoto/pop.jpg

Follow me on Twitter!

Read my silly blog!

Toast --

Being the unexcitable person of Norwegian descent that i am, well, the original thread merely had my eyeballs rolling.

Anyway, nice watches! I like how they all show a different time.

• 2 months later...

Right now, I just capped and put up my dark gray Esasty and have on a 1950 small rectangular Bulova that still keeps Bulova Time.

I guess I'll have to dig out one of my gold pocket watches should I ever get a Dollar pen. Or my Silver Omega for my Gray the next time I think of it. Many of my pocket watches are pre Esterbrook fountain pens...does that mean I have to go get 1900 pens?

Now that is becoming expensive in a hurry.

When I get a Copper one, I have some discreet gold wristwatches.

The problem I have is I have no blue or red watches....I just remembered I have a blue faced watch....but now have to be on the look out for something I've never seen before a wrist watch with a Red face.

Moreover, I'll have to upgrade my suits too.... Really I think I'll just get by with a red based western vest, becasue I'd really don't look good in a Red Suit...no one does.

I did not know we was more exclusive than MB's...dam...one should read the small print.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.