What do you think of the MB engraving

memphislawyer

I know there is a separate thread about WHETHER to engrave a MB pen. But, I went to the website and thought, well, to my eye, there is something very jarring about the white lettering against the background of a black resin pen. I was hoping it would be noticeable, yet subtle, but the contrast, at least on the website, is not all that subtle. Maybe it works in real execution, but the online version, not for me.

So your thoughts? Anyone got a photo of an MB engraved pen? How much was it to engrave?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• memphislawyer

• niksch

• Vicente

• RevAaron

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Aye, I am debating this on my own 146. I don't plan on ever getting rid of the pen, and so am not concerned with the loss in financial value by having it engraved. But I so love the aesthetics of the rich, black resin, tastefully offset by the gold fittings - and I'm not sure I want to disturb that with an engraving.

Decisions, decisions...

BTW, did you get your nib exchange worked out? (Nevermind, saw in the other thread that you did. Let us know when you get it back)

Edited by Jager

Jeff

www.jeffreyhughes.net

"It is because they have never seen you," he says. "I would recognize you anywhere."

- Muriel Barbery, The Elegance of the Hedgehog

I had my platinum Mozart FP and a rollerball engraved and it turned out to be a lot better than I was expecting. Its definitely not what it looks like on the website.

I can't speak for a black resin + gold pen, but on the black resin + platinum it looks and feels great.

I could post some pictures tomorrow. I had them engraved at the MB Palazzo in Las Vegas at no charge.

I had my platinum Mozart FP and a rollerball engraved and it turned out to be a lot better than I was expecting. Its definitely not what it looks like on the website.

I can't speak for a black resin + gold pen, but on the black resin + platinum it looks and feels great.

I could post some pictures tomorrow. I had them engraved at the MB Palazzo in Las Vegas at no charge.

Mine is the platinum 146 and that white lettering looks jarring. Sure, Id love pics. I dont plan on selling mine either, and so, if it were like $10 or $15, Id pop for it.

I used to do the engravings, and the paint on it wears off pretty quickly, but you can fill it in yourself with a paint marker, I used to clear clients away from it. But if you must, I recommend a simple 3 initial engraving on the clip that is vertical.

You have to consider that Mont Blanc is considered to be more of an understated elegance. In my personal opinion, a full blown engraving on the clip or on the resin body itself detracts away from the pen itself. However, it is a strictly personal choice.

I used to do the engravings, and the paint on it wears off pretty quickly, but you can fill it in yourself with a paint marker, I used to clear clients away from it. But if you must, I recommend a simple 3 initial engraving on the clip that is vertical.

You have to consider that Mont Blanc is considered to be more of an understated elegance. In my personal opinion, a full blown engraving on the clip or on the resin body itself detracts away from the pen itself. However, it is a strictly personal choice.

Well, Id like to see a pic, but I am inclined to agree that the white paint is too noticeable. The name on it might scare away anyone from trying to keep it were I to misplace it, and on the clip, well, initials dont really do it for me.

As I said on the other thread.

I think engraving a pen is just like buying a new car and keying my name on it.

Its horrible and on top of that reduces segnificantly the value of the pen.

Respect to all

If I buy a pen for my personal use and I intend that it stays with the family for the next generation,

I'd have my signature engraved on it, giving it more of personal touch. Maybe my children and grand

children would treasure it more in that sense. I myself would be happy and proud to get a pen signature

engraved by my grandfather for example.

If you are collecting pens for future sale, then don't engrave them for they will lessen their resale value.

I myself won't buy a pen engraved with someone's user name - except it's a pen of Barack Obama. :roflmho:

Fountain Pen is for people who have a delicate taste in writing

Pens Actively In Use

MB 149-f; MB Solitaire SS (FP-ef,BP,MP)

MB (LE) G.B.Shaw (FP-m,BP,MP); MB LeGrand (RB,BP,MP)

Parker Duofold Presidential Esparto sol.SS (FP-f, BP)

Parker Duofold PS SS (FP-f, RB)

Parker Doufold Marbled Green (FP-f,BP,MP)

Parker Duofold Marbled Gray (FP-xf)

S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum Diamond Head (FP-m)

S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum/ChinLacquer Black (FP-f)

As I said on the other thread. I think engraving a pen is just like buying a new car and keying my name on it. Its horrible and on top of that reduces segnificantly the value of the pen.

Which is only pertinent if one intends to resell the pen, and not keep it like 'memphislawyer' intends. His point in this post wasn't whether he should or should not engrave, but to gather opinions on MB's engraving styles. I haven't had an urge to put my name on a pen, but I would not hesitate to engrave one or two, because I tend to keep almost all the pens I buy unless I buy them specifically to repair them. I'm not a big seller on the secondary market here or on the green board like many here.

I don't have a pen with my name engraved on it--actually I do now that I think about it, but they are a Cross set I got when I graduated high school. But I do find vintage MBs, or other brands, with engraved names to be kind of neat. I've got Rudolph Wrede's MB138, R. Rühle's MB136, and Wilhelm Schlusche's MB14. If I got them at a discount because of the engraving, then so much the better for me...it's not like they write worse because of the engraving.

That said, I'm not a big fan of MB's current engraving styles. The script is too cursive, and the block lettering, even in italic, doesn't really do it for me either. I should try to photo the engraving on the MB14, I do like that font.

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

The last post got it right, not if I should engrave, but if I did engrave, do you like the engraving options that MB offers on its website. I am inclined not to as the white lettering is so jarring. I like the above poster, had a Cross gold pen with a faux signature in cursive etched and it is not noticeable from a distance. That was tasteful. This pen is a keeper, and yes, Id like grandchildren to use it someday

I don't have my name engraved on any pens and have no plans to ever have it done. I'm with goodguy it moves the pen away from its Platonic ideal. May as well have your mom write your name on the back pocket of your jeans. :P

When I was a kid there'd be three lunches in the fridge- one w/ bro's name, one with sis's name and one blank brown paper. It bugged me even then! :P

That said, I'd have no issues if I recieved an engraved pen as a gift to mark an occasion. I like the idea of doing that.

WTB: Lamy 27 w/ OB/OBB nibs; Pelikan 100 B nib

its Platonic ideal.

Yeah, but yer from way up there, eh?

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.