The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Review: Parker Vacumatic circa WWII Gray Pearl

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 oracle202

oracle202

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 15:18

I did this review by hand this time. Next time, I don't think I will do it by hand as my handwriting is horrific and I hate displaying it. Its fine for my eyes to read, but I know its chicken scratch to others. Anyways, enjoy! This is my first review.

Beautiful 14kt Nib for 70 yrs of use!!!

Thanks for reading.
---

Anthony Rocco
Twitter: @applianceguide

Sponsored Content

#2 J English Smith

J English Smith

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,452 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 15:50

Was yours from Mike McConnell, by chance? I bought the cousin of this pen in December on eBay for about what you paid - it is a very nice pen - writes well as restored, and I love the nickel finish trim.
<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

#3 oracle202

oracle202

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 16:00

QUOTE (J English Smith @ Jan 23 2009, 04:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Was yours from Mike McConnell, by chance? I bought the cousin of this pen in December on eBay for about what you paid - it is a very nice pen - writes well as restored, and I love the nickel finish trim.

No, I don't know that name. The guy who sold to me was named Thomas. He was very helpful. And this was by far the cheapest restored Vac I'd seen on ebay in a few months.
---

Anthony Rocco

#4 Sharkle

Sharkle

BPillar

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 16:55

Thanks for the review, and I happen to like your handwriting. I'm glad you were able to snap up such a wonderful pen!

#5 penmanila

penmanila

Vacumaniac

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 January 2009 - 17:07

ah, a fellow vacumatic fan wink.gif nice pen and price.... don't worry about buying even cheaper vacs unrestored; danny fudge (my restorer) will put in a new diaphragm and clean up the vac for $20, so even with postage, $40-$50 vacs look like good buys (and ebay has quite a few of them in that range, especially 3rd-generation majors like this one).

Check out my blog and my pens

#6 oracle202

oracle202

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 19:21

QUOTE (penmanila @ Jan 23 2009, 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ah, a fellow vacumatic fan wink.gif nice pen and price.... don't worry about buying even cheaper vacs unrestored; danny fudge (my restorer) will put in a new diaphragm and clean up the vac for $20, so even with postage, $40-$50 vacs look like good buys (and ebay has quite a few of them in that range, especially 3rd-generation majors like this one).

very true, and there are some very good restorers selling nice vacs at honest prices, but its seems there are even more people who seem to think some of their pens are worth more than they truly are. Then again, everything is in the eye of the beholder.
---

Anthony Rocco

#7 J English Smith

J English Smith

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,452 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 19:38

True. I think to get 3G ones that have been restored in the $60-70 range we got is pretty good, based on prices I have seen.
<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

#8 Bill Smith

Bill Smith

Parker and Pelikan Fan

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • Location:Somewhere in the west end of Greater Toronto, Ontario Canada

Posted 23 January 2009 - 19:50

Great review, I have clone of that same vac of yours, a classic pen.
"Life moves pretty fast, if you do not stop and look around once and a while you might just miss it."
Ferris Bueller

Bill Smith's Photography

#9 oracle202

oracle202

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 00:10

QUOTE (Bill Smith @ Jan 23 2009, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great review, I have clone of that same vac of yours, a classic pen.

Thank you!
---

Anthony Rocco

#10 Silvermink

Silvermink

Texture Junkie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2009 - 01:19

How do you find the size? I'd like a Vac but I'm wondering if I should look for an Oversize/Maxima because I have big hands.
http://twitter.com/silvermink
Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

OMAS Italia '90 - Aurora Blue // Montblanc 14 - Visconti Purple

#11 oracle202

oracle202

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 17:39

QUOTE (Silvermink @ Feb 7 2009, 01:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How do you find the size? I'd like a Vac but I'm wondering if I should look for an Oversize/Maxima because I have big hands.

It is a small pen. No question. I have big hands and its small in my hands, much smaller than my Cross Verve. But size doesn't bother me much, so I don't have an opinion one way or another. However, if "size matters" to you or your woman... you may want to look for something a bit more, shall we say, manly.

---

Anthony Rocco

#12 absent_minded

absent_minded

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 22:12

I wouldn't say the Vac is terribly small, but a bit smallish compared to average. With the cap posted, the pen grows to be quite a bit larger than what it is capped. What I love about Vacs, though, is their balance. In my entire collection pen collection, only the first-generation Vacs are more balanced than the third-generation ones, and then only slightly.

I suppose I'm trying to say that you shouldn't let the size prevent you from buying one- at least for the Vac, I would say. I think you will enjoy it.

#13 kudzu

kudzu

Having a ball!

• Member - Gold

• 1,055 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 22:44

I don't want to hijack this thread, but can someone share what the hallmarks are for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation Vac? Thanks. I have a handful of them and I haven't a clue what generation they are.
Kudzu

"I am a galley slave to pen and ink." ~Honore de Balzac

Happy Pan Pacific Pen Club Member!

#14 oracle202

oracle202

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 19:27

QUOTE (kudzu @ Feb 10 2009, 11:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't want to hijack this thread, but can someone share what the hallmarks are for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation Vac? Thanks. I have a handful of them and I haven't a clue what generation they are.

i believe first gen vacs had a metal plunger that locked down when not in use. second gen vacs had a metal plunger that did NOT lock down, and third gen vacs had a plastic plunger.
---

Anthony Rocco

#15 Robert Hughes

Robert Hughes

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,090 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 22:18

I recently got a blue 3rd Gen Vac from PhilM (thnks Phil!) that is a very pleasant writer, and one of the prettiest pens ever made IMO. I think the striations really make this pen.
The moment we want to believe something, we suddenly see all the arguments for it, and become blind to the arguments against it.

~ Bernard Shaw.

#16 kudzu

kudzu

Having a ball!

• Member - Gold

• 1,055 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:15

Thanks, Anthony! That helps alot.
Kudzu

"I am a galley slave to pen and ink." ~Honore de Balzac

Happy Pan Pacific Pen Club Member!