The Ultimate Guide to the Pelikan M200

Sallent

...follow up question. Is the M400 and M200 nibs the same size and proportions ? I'm talking about the lenngth mainly (i know they both fit into the m200 body)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sallent

• mrt77

• Fazby

• sarai

Top Posters In This Topic

...follow up question. Is the M400 and M200 nibs the same size and proportions ? I'm talking about the lenngth mainly (i know they both fit into the m200 body)

The M200 nib is slightly longer and has a slightly springier feel when writing. Also, the M200 nib writes a finer line than the M400 nib. For example, the M200 F nib is a true fine, while the M400 F writes like a medium/fine nib.

Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.

The M200 nib is slightly longer and has a slightly springier feel when writing. Also, the M200 nib writes a finer line than the M400 nib. For example, the M200 F nib is a true fine, while the M400 F writes like a medium/fine nib.

That goes for most of the Pelikan steel body nibs, plated or not. So a 250 14 k nib will leave a wider line in the same nib width grade. Not much, but when you use Moleskines (overall a nice product, but he paper :( a steel nib might be a better choice.

Great review.

The M200 is perfect for a light hand. I couldn't ask for a better pen for the price...and the Binder italic. :clap1:

Check out this new flickr page for pen wraps

W He

Superb review! I think that you just about covered everything - nice, nice nice.

I'll take an Aurora, please. Aurora black.

Dear doc. It was a very nice review.

I have been wondering about what Pelikan pens are like, well, obviously they are very nice. I too want a pen that I could praise like that. So now I have ordered my first M200.

B)

Edited by sarai

Only the tame birds have a longing.

The wild ones fly.

- Elmer Diktonius, Finnish poet (translation by sarai)

Uuugggghhh! I was about to rearrange some resources to buy the M1000... then I read this review and am compelled to go with the 200. This pen business is doing my head in! (But I love it!) Thanks to the good Doctor!

Edited by irishteamer

Note: as you can see from the pictures below, there is some humidity that builds up around the piston mechanism

Very nice review, one thing caught my attention though, I just picked up a 205 Demonstrator and I thought the liquid that you see inside of it (not the ink :)) was actually some sort of lubricant to keep the piston moving smoothly, not condensation. Please correct me if I am wrong though.

I have not used mine long enough to do a review yet, and I am considering getting a Binder nib for it, so I am not sure when I will do the review, but thanks again for a very nice write up with some great pictures also.

Great review Dr. Ozzie! I could not agree more on the quality and value of the M200 pens!

Thanks for the quick opinions of the other Souveran models as well. I agree with you that the M1000 is too big to use comfortably. I got to try one at a B&M store while on vacation last year. It is a great looking pen though!

I have three M200's and an M600 series. Yes, despite what people believe(conclude) about the size of the M200, once it is posted, it is a "standard size" pen!

Frank

"Celebrating Eight Years of Retail Writing Excellence"

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"

Federalist Pens and Paper (Online Pen Store)

facelogobooks.png.7b61776c10ce24852b00693f4005dc72.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

I have been wondering about what Pelikan pens are like, well, obviously they are very nice. I too want a pen that I could praise like that. So now I have ordered my first M200.

B)

Am glad I could influence you to get your first M200. Hopefully it will be the first of many :thumbup:

Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.

Thanks very much for this review. I've just acquired my first (modern) Pelikan, an M200 Citroenpers and although I thought it rather too small for me when I first got it, when the cap is posted, it really does make a difference. I really only bought the pen because it was the Citroenpers and (thanks to another FPN member - who shall remain unnamed deliberately) I managed to obtain it for a price about half that of which it has been advertised for sale here recently, so it was a bit of a no-brainer. I even thought of breaking my golden rule about using all the pens I buy - as I could probably make at least a little on it by selling it on immediately - but I just had to try it. Despite the fact that it 'only' has the plated medium nib, it writes delightfully and I've now ordered a broad nib to go with it. I've been using it all day at work today and I can really see this pen becoming a daily 'user' - at least until the day that I can afford to graduate to one of it's larger, more esteemed brothers. All in all, a great buy as far as I'm concerned and I'd happily recommend it to anyone.

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

B)

Am glad I could influence you to get your first M200. Hopefully it will be the first of many :thumbup:

After writing with it for a couple of days, yes, I would say it is the first of many... :wub:

Only the tame birds have a longing.

The wild ones fly.

- Elmer Diktonius, Finnish poet (translation by sarai)

Dr Ozzie,

Do you have any objective dimensions for the pen?

Diameter, weight, length?

The subjective sizes you have given (small, light, good size etc) are applicable to you. I do not know if I have the same description of 'small' as you. For me <10mm diameter is small, and >12mm diameter is large for a pen barrel diameter. Are you the same?

Thanks for the subjective parts of the review, they were informative, and interesting enough to leave me wondering if it may be worth giving the Pelikan 200 a try. I'd have been convinced if the objective sizes & weights were right too - but I can't tell at the moment.

Regards

Richard.

Dr Ozzie,

Do you have any objective dimensions for the pen?

Diameter, weight, length?

The subjective sizes you have given (small, light, good size etc) are applicable to you. I do not know if I have the same description of 'small' as you. For me <10mm diameter is small, and >12mm diameter is large for a pen barrel diameter. Are you the same?

Thanks for the subjective parts of the review, they were informative, and interesting enough to leave me wondering if it may be worth giving the Pelikan 200 a try. I'd have been convinced if the objective sizes & weights were right too - but I can't tell at the moment.

Regards

Richard.

See page 5.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Thanks for this review. I shall buy one next pay day.

But one question -- I want a pen that lays down a thick line, but not TOO thick. Something approximating a Vanishing Point broad. Which nib should I choose for the M200? I've heard Pelikan nibs are a bit thicker than other manufacturers.

Thanks!

The m200 is probably one of the best affordable pens out there, with the piston and easily exchangeable nib. They last for decades if you take care of them. I would get a medium if you want thick, or a fine if you want medium line. Pelikan broads are too broad IMO.

Thanks for this review. I shall buy one next pay day.

But one question -- I want a pen that lays down a thick line, but not TOO thick. Something approximating a Vanishing Point broad. Which nib should I choose for the M200? I've heard Pelikan nibs are a bit thicker than other manufacturers.

Thanks!

I would get a medium if you want thick, or a fine if you want medium line. Pelikan broads are too broad IMO.

Not for me - my broad nib is absolutely perfect.

But then I like broad nibs :)

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

Thanks guys :) I think I will go all out for the broad. Since Pelikan will exchange the nib later, I can always switch out for a medium if the broad is too much.

Dr. Ozzie,

Thanks for the timely post. I have just purchased a semi vintage M200 and should receive delivery next week along with a bottle of Diamine blue/black ink and a box of Crane Charcoal Bordered Pearl White Monarch Sheets. Nothing like jumping right into all this pen business. This is my first FP and I am encouraged by your post and the info posted by other memebers.

Best~Scott