The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pelikan M200 vs Reform 1745

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Sallent

Sallent

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2009 - 06:58

The Pelikan M200 and the Reform 1745

These two pens are without a doubt the best piston filler fountain pens that can be found for $60 USD or less!

Pelikan M200 thumbup.gif

The Pelikan M200 is perhaps the best value for your money when it comes to pens under $100USD. These beauties, which can be found for as low as $60 USD, are well built and feature a super smooth Pelikan gold plated steel nib. The piston filler is super smooth and the pen holds a ton of ink.

The pen is well built and the quality is superb. The M200 is built like a battle tank and is more than capable of enduring any abuse any FP user can thriw at it and still look great for years. puddle.gif

The Reform 1745

If the M200 at $60 USD is too much money for you, then get yourself a nice Reform 1745. The Reform 1745 hasn't been made in more than 30 years, but are still widely available in mint condition for $10 USD or less. These little pens (and they are small) are excellent writers and at $10 USD they are the best bargain in the world of piston fillers.

Let's be honest, the M200 is a far better pen in terms of quality, size, etc. but for $10USD you'll be hard pressed to find a better pen than the Reform 1745, and certainly not one with a piston filler like this one.

The Reform 1745 holds tons of ink, has a beautiful nib with plenty of springiness, and is an absolute delight to write with. This pen would be excellent for any broke student who wants a nice FP.

And now, time for a beauty shot of both!!!
puddle.gif

Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.

Sponsored Content

#2 Lloyd

Lloyd

Can a nib be smoothed by psychokinesis?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,369 posts
  • Location:Trapped inside of a snowglobe that is resting upon a mantel in a home in Massachusetts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 17:53

Thanks for a very useful analysis.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Oscar Wilde

#3 Ondina

Ondina

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,924 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 14:46

What a nice and useful review! Is nice to see them side by side. Anybody knows how they compare in terms of ink capacity? The trim on the Reform is not comparable in quality to the Pelikan, but the rest of the pen......I just wish the nibs were wider!. Great pens not a doubt. Thanks for the review.

#4 Sallent

Sallent

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,349 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:01

QUOTE (Ondina @ Feb 2 2009, 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What a nice and useful review! Is nice to see them side by side. Anybody knows how they compare in terms of ink capacity? The trim on the Reform is not comparable in quality to the Pelikan, but the rest of the pen......I just wish the nibs were wider!. Great pens not a doubt. Thanks for the review.

Although I have not done a test to determine the difference in ink supply, I am convinced that the M200 can hold more ink than the Reform.

Again, the M200 is a far better pen, but for $10 USD, the Reform offers great value and performance. But if you can afford to spend a little more, say around $60 USD, then the M200 is the clear winner.
Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.

#5 hexadecimal

hexadecimal

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:39

I prefer the m200 (and the m150 too). Nicer nibs.

I found the 1745 a bit small, in particular, narrow.

THEN I tried it with the cap posted. Problem solved. Ridiculous value for a student that can cope with a pen that requires real ink... yikes.gif
Hey, I've worked out how to set up an avatar! Next week I'll move onto tying my own shoelaces...

#6 Vulcan1066

Vulcan1066

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2009 - 15:42

I see several members on here saying they can get the M200 for 60 dollars. Please send me the location of such a wonderful buy! Ive been hesitating to buy one since the least expensive I have found is 80 dollars.
I liked the review and hope to be able to add to the list in the future.
"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup"

#7 MattN

MattN

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2009 - 00:18

QUOTE (Vulcan1066 @ Feb 5 2009, 07:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I see several members on here saying they can get the M200 for 60 dollars. Please send me the location of such a wonderful buy! Ive been hesitating to buy one since the least expensive I have found is 80 dollars.
I liked the review and hope to be able to add to the list in the future.

I just ordered one from http://www.richardspens.com/ for $55, although that's minus the nib (an extra $25, or more if you want a custom one). It works out to $80 total if you don't have a nib already, but I suspect that's the deal people are referring to.

#8 chelydra

chelydra

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 February 2009 - 18:31

I bought a box twenty four (that's 24) never-used 1745's on eBay a couple of months ago for — ready for this? — 19.90 euros, which comes out to $25 at today's awful exchange rates. (It would have been about $13-15 a few years ago). I gave several out to my writing students for Christmas gifts, but don't know if they're using them, since most are too young to know what fountains even look like.

I've found them surprisingly satisfactory. Stiff and unpromising at first, but very quickly broken in, flexible, and responsive. They also seem very handsome and well-made to me, and of course far better then the average affordable fountain pen bought new in a stationary shop. The aesthetic appeal is the classic early 20th century modernist ideal: "form follows function".

Although I found these on an English-language eBay site (don't recall if US or UK), the seller was German.

Changing the subject to Pelikans:

I've recently discovered that Pelikans can be found on the German eBay site at about half the cost, and in far greater abundance and variety. Everything is in German of course (open a Google Translate window before you start looking), and is usually intended for sale within Germany, so payment and shipping arrangements can be very problematic.(Direct deposits into the seller's bank account seems to be preferred, and in took me weeks to figure out how to do that through PayPal.) In rapid succession, I bought an old Pelikan 400 EF, an old red Pelikan Steno (the steel-nibbed stenographer's pen), and then another old 400, this time with a gold ST (stenography-style) nib. Prices in euros were about 40, 22, and 55 respectively. I haven't seen the red steno yet, but the other two are the pens of my dreams. I'm planning to write reviews one of these days.

Ten or fifteen years ago, I was looking for a new 120 (which I used to use at art school for drawing), found they're no longer available, and settled for a 200 (or maybe it was a 150), but it was just so-so, and not cheap compared to the far superior 120. (I soon lost it, but didn't miss it much.) I haven't been overly impressed by anything Pelikan is making these days. I test-drove some expensive models at a shop, and by comparison with Mont Blancs (in a fairly similar price range) they seemed uninteresting in feel and line quality. Perhaps they just needed breaking in, but one reviewer here compared old and new Pelikans to Ferraris and Cadillacs, or something along those lines. Until I tried out my new/old 400's in recent days, I really had no idea how great a pen could be. Maybe something comparable is currently available, but if so it would be probably cost about ten times as much. In fact, if I hadn't read about old Pelikan 400's and ST nibs on this site, I'd probably be 100% satisfied with my 1745's. Well, maybe just 90% satisfied, since they can't quite live up to my memories of the old Pelikan 120 — but the 120 was designed more for drawing than writing.7ba0_1.JPG

Edited by chelydra, 13 February 2009 - 20:51.

#9 Silvermink

Silvermink

Texture Junkie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 February 2009 - 22:18

QUOTE (Ondina @ Feb 2 2009, 06:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I'd like at least the option of a wider nib on the 1745, too. Maybe I'll buy a second 1745 and try grinding it to a stub... hmm1.gif

Edited by Silvermink, 13 February 2009 - 22:18.

http://twitter.com/silvermink
Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

OMAS Italia '90 - Aurora Blue // Montblanc 14 - Visconti Purple

#10 RevAaron

RevAaron

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,931 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 22:39

You could always get a couple of those Reform italic nibs that crop up for cheap around here... Smooth as other untipped italics- Lamy, Sheaffer etc.
WTB: Ford's Patent Pen, Pilot Blue ink (Thai)
Also: Orthos Pens | Danish MB #4 nib | 1G Hundred Year Pen cap

#11 MME

MME

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 15:22

I have a Reform 1745,it skips a lot,is dry and above all have a bad ink flow,i must twist the piston every half page that i write.What i want is to buy a Pelikan that is approximately the same size like 1745.Which one is?Pel M300,M150,M200?And which one is much more sturdy,and a good ink capacity?
Thanks a lot and best regards!

Edited by MME, 18 March 2012 - 15:24.

#12 phr4nkr4wk5

phr4nkr4wk5

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2012 - 00:46

I have a Reform 1745,it skips a lot,is dry and above all have a bad ink flow,i must twist the piston every half page that i write.What i want is to buy a Pelikan that is approximately the same size like 1745.Which one is?Pel M300,M150,M200?And which one is much more sturdy,and a good ink capacity?
Thanks a lot and best regards!

Next time, if you haven't done so before, when your ink runs out, before refilling, try giving it a thorough cleaning (more than) a few times with some strongish solvents... Plain water, soapy water, shampooey water, ... I even went to the extent of mixing in a little rubbing alcohol... Keep at it; see if it gets any better... It might not, but then again, it might.

I wish someone would do a remake of these pens (the Reform 1745). I really do like them a lot. :|
my pen collection: Dollar 717i Demonstrator x3, fake Hero 616, Lamy Safari EF, Manuscript Dodec, Pilot 78g x2, Platinum Preppy F x7, Reform 1745 x2, Sheaffer Calligraphy Pen, Unidentified Wearever

#13 Federer

Federer

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2012 - 00:53

I noticed the Reform 1745's in the pictures above are blue-ish - does anyone know where I can find Reforms coloured this way? I'm only ever seeing the green ones!

#14 phr4nkr4wk5

phr4nkr4wk5

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:24

I noticed the Reform 1745's in the pictures above are blue-ish - does anyone know where I can find Reforms coloured this way? I'm only ever seeing the green ones!

It's possibly just the lighting! I don't think I've ever heard of any variations on the Reform 1745 being made... Just the standard green and black model with the dual-toned gold and silver nib.
my pen collection: Dollar 717i Demonstrator x3, fake Hero 616, Lamy Safari EF, Manuscript Dodec, Pilot 78g x2, Platinum Preppy F x7, Reform 1745 x2, Sheaffer Calligraphy Pen, Unidentified Wearever

#15 Miami_Marlins_fan

Miami_Marlins_fan

Mint

• Member - Bronze

• PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:07

I used to be "Dr. Ozzie" and that Reform 1745 in the picture is my pen. I no longer have access to my old account since I lost the password and the email I used to open the account is no longer accessible to me...so this is my new account.

The Reform 1745 is standard green and black. Any difference in color was due to the cheap camera I was using at the time.

#16 Federer

Federer

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 March 2012 - 21:21

Thanks for the clarification! I wish they made more colors, they're great pens.

#17 Mags

Mags

Life is more vibrant with a fountain pen and a bold wet ink line

• Member - Gold

• 1,233 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2012 - 13:49

Reform 1745's will be a pen I must add to my parking lot of used pens to look for. Thanks for the post.
Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti all wonderful.

#18 Spector

Spector

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2012 - 17:48

I found the Reform to be extremely scratchy and almost unusable. perhaps its what they say about Reforms being a QC lottery
Posted Image "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" -Aldous Huxley

Parker 45 F, Lamy Safari EF, Lamy 2000 F, TWSBI Diamond 530 F, Reform 1745 F, Hero 616 F, Pilot Varsity F, Pilot 78g F,

#19 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,548 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:37

Thank you!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Sponsored Content

|