The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pelikan 100N

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Sallent

Sallent

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2009 - 06:45

The Pelikan 100N was produced by Pelikan from the mid-1930's all the way until 1951. This pen has become an iconic symbol of vintage German pens.

First Impressions: 5/5 pts

It is small....very small as a matter of fact, and very light too. However, when posted the pen grows to a very respectable size and is a remarkably well balanced writing instrument.

The quality is great. The piston is super smooth, the ink window is a nice touch (mine is loaded here with Waterman Blue) and the Gold nib is impressive.

Filling Mechanism: 5/5 pts

The pen uses the same reliable and buttery smooth Pelikan piston filler that all Pelikans are known for. Although this is a small pen, it hold a ton of ink. What's not too love about this efficient filling system?

Writting performance: 5/5 pts

This vintage beauty is sporting a highly flexible fine Gold nib. The nib easily screws out and can be swapped for another in a matter of seconds. thumbup.gif The ink flow is nicely wet and consistent, the nib is smooth and very responsive as it glides above paper. A superb performance!!!

Quality: 5/5 pts

The Pelikan 100N is built like a battle tank. These pens have held up extremely well after more than 5 decades of use. This one is no different. These Pelikans are very well built using high quality materials. I have no doubt that this pen will still be around 50 years from now.

Total Score: 20/20 pts

And now for some beauty shots from the Queen herself! Please excuse the thumb prints, I have been using the pen all week and a few thumb prints are to be expected here and there laugh.gif

Edited by Dr Ozzie, 22 January 2009 - 06:47.

Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.

Sponsored Content

#2 yachtsilverswan

yachtsilverswan

Atlanta

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2009 - 06:58

I bought a 100N with a broad stub nib a few months ago, and I agree with the good doctor this pen writes like a champ - even after five or more decades of use - smooth, wet, and reliable.

The 100N is the only pen I use posted. Posting makes this diminutive pen longer if not wider.

It's easy to see why Pelikan has been a mainstay of the pen market for so many years.
Ray
Atlanta, Georgia

Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point with Richard Binder ItaliFine 0.9mm/F Nib
Faber Castell's Porsche Design with Gold & Stainless Mesh in Binderized CI Broad nib
Visconti LE Divina Proporzione in Gold with Binderized CI nib
David Oscarson Valhalla in gray (Thor) with Broad Binderized CI nib
Michel Perchin LE Blue Serpent (reviewed) with Binderized CI nib
Montblanc 149 in Medium Binderized CI nib
Montblanc Pope Julius II 888 Edition (reviewed) in Bold Binderized CI nib

#3 barny

barny

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 07:18

puddle.gif

#4 bphollin

bphollin

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,268 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2009 - 16:55

I hear so much about the vintage Pel nibs, but never see any writing samples. Wanna show off the fruits of that flexi fine nib?!

Love the vintage birds, especially the bold caps. Thanks for bragging sharing!

#5 Tsujigiri

Tsujigiri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,768 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 18:10

Great pen! Thanks for writing the review, I never realized it's so small. What is the size compared to a Pelikan m200? Could you post a comparison shot?

#6 Sallent

Sallent

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,349 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 January 2009 - 01:03

QUOTE (Tsujigiri @ Jan 23 2009, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great pen! Thanks for writing the review, I never realized it's so small. What is the size compared to a Pelikan m200? Could you post a comparison shot?

No problem thumbup.gif

The M200 is larger with the cap on, but when posted the 100N is larger than the M200.

If you write with the cap unposted, the M200 is just a tad bit bigger, but it's a very small difference. Anyway, here are some pics

#7 Sallent

Sallent

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,349 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 January 2009 - 01:13

I should also add that the ink window has excellent visibility, but since the pen is full of ink, it looks darker than it would look if it was empty.

I hope the size reference pictures were helpful

#8 Tsujigiri

Tsujigiri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,768 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 01:29

Thank you for the pictures! It's great to see this less-reviewed but extremely beautiful pen.

#9 Ellen

Ellen

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2009 - 14:08

Thanks for the review! Do you perhaps have a writing sample of your pen? I'd really like to see how wide the M-nib on this pen writes!
Posted Image Posted Image

#10 1000km

1000km

Full-time writer

• Member - Gold

• 1,038 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:18

Also very keen to see a writing sample from the legendary Pelikan 100/N

#11 lowks

lowks

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 November 2009 - 04:09

I just got mine with a Mike-it-Right nib and am enjoying it now.

#12 Mags

Mags

Life is more vibrant with a fountain pen and a bold wet ink line

• Member - Gold

• 1,233 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 March 2015 - 15:14

Still looking for pictures of the later 50's version of this pen.  Does the ink window in translucent green extend to the nib section also?

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti all wonderful.

Sponsored Content

|