Obama using a Cross pen - by request

CasmiUK

Yeah, a lot of lefties develop that "crab arm" hook when writing, to avoid ink smears. I'll bet Obama has made extensive use of word processors for writing... certainly he was a Blackberry addict! I imagine it'll be a weird feeling for him not having a cell phone... I wonder if he'll carry a PDA?

His blackberry has been approved for personal use only. For official business, he needs an NSA approved cell phone. But I have no clue if they’ve approved any smart phones for him or if he’ll be reduced to just a plain old dumb phone.

ETA: Apparently, he’s got a Sectera Edge. Call me a phone snob but it’s so wrong he’s not using a Blackberry or iPhone.

Edited by Pink Ink

Writing instruments of the moment:

• Pilot Prera Fountain Pen in Vivid Pink XF (Levenger ink, Pinkly).
  • Uniball α-Gel Slim Pencil in Pink (0.3mm leads).
  • Pilot 742 Fountain Pen in Black with Falcon (flex) Nib, (Pilot ink, Black).
  • Nikko G Nib in the penholder.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Batman

• michael_s

• PenHero

• OcalaFlGuy

So he is using an American made pen. Good for him.

K

It's probably made in China, not the USA. Cross Townsends are all made in China now. The perception is there, but there are no more 100% USA pen companies. USA company, yes. USA made, no.

Cheers,

Jim Mamoulides

www.PenHero.com

I read in an online review that his were made in Lincoln U.S.A. Don't Tiffany also insist on U.S. made pens rather than China? I buy up the U.S. made models :o)

I read in an online review that his were made in Lincoln U.S.A. Don't Tiffany also insist on U.S. made pens rather than China? I buy up the U.S. made models :o)

I wonder how this is, as NONE of the Townsends sent to dealers are made in USA.

They either reserved pens for this purpose from old stock, repair parts, or the pens are made in China, just like all other Townsends. I don't believe anything I read online unless I check it. I myself have posted erroneous stuff. I can say for certain that all the Townsends we get come in boxes clearly marked Made in China.

Cheers,

Jim Mamoulides

www.PenHero.com

I wonder how this is, as NONE of the Townsends sent to dealers are made in USA.

They either reserved pens for this purpose from old stock, repair parts, or the pens are made in China, just like all other Townsends. I don't believe anything I read online unless I check it. I myself have posted erroneous stuff. I can say for certain that all the Townsends we get come in boxes clearly marked Made in China.

Cheers,

Jim Mamoulides

www.PenHero.com

I just spoke with Debbie Gloria, A.T. Cross customer service. The Obama pens were made in China but the

Presidential seal and his name were added in Rhode Island.

She was also amusingly interested in hearing of the President's difficulty in unposting the Townsend and

said she would relay that information "upwards". She's a nice lady, I hope it get's her some "brownie points".

Bruce in Ocala, FL

K

It's probably made in China, not the USA. Cross Townsends are all made in China now. The perception is there, but there are no more 100% USA pen companies. USA company, yes. USA made, no.

Cheers,

Jim Mamoulides

www.PenHero.com

I can't be too hard on Cross for moving manufacture overseas. I think it was a good move in 2006 when they did. In this day and age that seems to be the way a lot of brand names survive to reducde their cost and stay out of the red. I sure would hate to see Cross become another casualty of the current economic crisis. I dont think pen companies are on the high priority list for government bail out like GM and Chrysler. The last 8 Cross pens I bought were all made in China: ATX FP, Townsend BP, Apogee FP and BP, Century BP and pencil, Century II FP and BP, but they appear to have the same quality as the many older USA made ones I have. At least Cross is still HQ'd in Rhode Island and is still a USA company.

Yeh I saw the whole thing when he signed the paper. i actually thought it was a fountain pen and not a rollerball but I guess not. But there is one thing I can say for certain, Obama writes in a really funny angle.

Maybe that's why he like a lot of lefties don't use a FP. Ink doesn't dry fast enough for dragging your sleeve across. Just a thought.

Actually, lots of Leftys use FPs. Polls here on FPN show about 25 or 30% of us use FPs - and we only make up about 5% of the population. I'm an extreme lefty just like President Obama - with the wrist twisted around so we're looking directly at the nib. Smearing is not a problem, because our wrist is so far on the north side of the paper that the writing slides under our elbows. Posts have suggested that guys like us should change our style, but now that I'm in company with President Obama, I think not.

Bob

Pelikan 100; Parker Duofold; Sheaffer Balance; Eversharp Skyline; Aurora 88 Piston; Aurora 88 hooded; Kaweco Sport; Sailor Pro Gear

Eca de Queroiz: "Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently, and for the same reason."

Why doesn't cross just use their "presidential pen" status as a marketing gimmick. I mean if it's good enough for the president of the United States, it's good enough for everyone.

By tradition, all vendors to the White House are forbidden to use the fact they provide goods to the President in commercial advertising. Press releases are ok, but no commercial advertising. The tradition dates back to Dolly Madison, and is (I think) now part of the contractural agreement.

Ray

Atlanta, Georgia

Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point with Richard Binder ItaliFine 0.9mm/F Nib

Faber Castell's Porsche Design with Gold & Stainless Mesh in Binderized CI Broad nib

Visconti LE Divina Proporzione in Gold with Binderized CI nib

David Oscarson Valhalla in gray (Thor) with Broad Binderized CI nib

Michel Perchin LE Blue Serpent (reviewed) with Binderized CI nib

Montblanc 149 in Medium Binderized CI nib

Montblanc Pope Julius II 888 Edition (reviewed) in Bold Binderized CI nib

I have to agree that, at least for the tangible and functional elements ("feel, operation, finish quality), that the Cross BPs I bought at TJ Maxx over the holidays match the numerous USA models that I also have. Obviously, I have no way of judging the metallurgy of the materials, but otherwise, for the price at least, the Chinese pens appear to be the equals of their US models.

But I try to buy the American pens in support of American labor and the history, and will continue to add to my collection of those.

Hugh

Why doesn't cross just use their "presidential pen" status as a marketing gimmick. I mean if it's good enough for the president of the United States, it's good enough for everyone.

By tradition, all vendors to the White House are forbidden to use the fact they provide goods to the President in commercial advertising. Press releases are ok, but no commercial advertising. The tradition dates back to Dolly Madison, and is (I think) now part of the contractural agreement.

Thanks for that info, I never knew that.

Thanks

Brad

K

Cheers,

Jim Mamoulides

www.PenHero.com

You are forgetting about bexley.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if used more than one Cross pen to sign the stimulus bill? My classmates at school want to know. Thanks! :)

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b583/vegaspensgifts/19f22284-1711-4350-b09e-ba21c43a4efc_zpsa67fd5ae.jpg

"Business and pleasure in equal measure"

Vegas Fine Pens and Gifts

Like Vegas Fine Pens and Gifts on FB

Follow Vegas Fine Pens and Gifts on Twitter

Does anyone know if used more than one Cross pen to sign the stimulus bill? My classmates at school want to know. Thanks! :)

Time magazine or US news has a picture of the his signature on the stimulus bill with a Cross Townshend laying on it....its capped

so to me it could be a selectip or fountain pen..hard to tell.

Edited by rminj

At the beginning of this

, you can see the President signing with more than one pen. Can't tell if they are the custom Cross Townsend selectip pens mentioned on this forum, though rminj's post adds weight to that possibility.

-Mike

Edited by michael_s

Rhode Island’s own A.T. Cross Company made the pen that President Obama will use to sign a series of inauguration documents and executive orders today.

The company, founded in Providence in 1846 and now based in Lincoln, was selected by the Obama-Biden transition team to provide the president’s official writing instruments. Marketing manager Lori Geshelin said yesterday that Cross has provided pens for many presidents.

With just a week’s notice, the company delivered the specially designed Cross Townsend black lacquer rolling-ball pens that will be used today.

They feature the presidential coat of arms and are engraved with Obama’s signature on the barrel.

The company sells a similar pen on its Web site, www.cross.com, for $135. A version in 10-karat gold is also available.

— Donita Naylor

Pro Jo story

hi,

Could you tell me where I can find the 10 karat version, I looked at the site and I cannot find it.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Cheers,

Daniel

• 6 months later...

1. Is the Presidential pen a Black and Silver or Black and Gold Townsend roller ball?

2. Someone in this thread mentioned Tiffany, and said that Tiffany insisted on US made pens. Nonsense! All of the Tiffany pens I've seen lately are made in Germany, I think by Pelikan. They used to sell Tiffany branded Cross and Parker pens, which were made in the US at that time, but not any more!

Dr. Scrawl

1. Is the Presidential pen a Black and Silver or Black and Gold Townsend roller ball?

It's black and chrome. The chrome colored end cap can be seen here. The Presidential seal and his signature is silver colored as well.

-Mike