Penatia by Cross (Redux)

Professor

My box label says Lexington Chrome w/Gold, and 606-1MS/3, but the nib is steel (says Iridium). It's a medium point. Ink flow is perfect, though dryer than Medalist's, and instant. And it's stunning. Guess I lucked out.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dillo

• RLTodd

• stormer

• Professor

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

Cross to my knowledge does not make Penatia.

Right now, we have one of the Cross managers here. I hope he chimes in.

Dillon

Clarification, I did NOT intend to imply that the Penatia line was anything other than subcontracted Chinese production. I was referring to the rest of the Cross line which has substantial asian composition (the ATX & Apogee fairly shout made in china) and I am beginning to wonder if they are not all carrying non USA content these days.

Hi,

Those are mostly made right here as are most of the Cross line. I generally look at them as relatively solid writers.

Dillon

Well then I stand corrected, they just looked like those heavy asian brass turnings I keep seening on the Cost Plus type sites. I am simply amazed that they could have been designed in a wester hemisphere shop.

YMMV

Dillo,

How are ya? I haven't posted in a bit. We've been busy moving the FP area to a new area in the building.

Penatia is built overseas with all overseas components.

ATX and Apogee nib front sections are built here.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

(a posting from a Canadian who found two Big Lots stores on her recent 4-day mini vacation in the USA :lol: ):

Before my husband and I left on our little trip, (fountain pen fanatic that I am :rolleyes: :rolleyes:) I took the time to check out the Big Lots website for store locations on the way to our destination (NW Washington state's Olympic National Park).

There were two on the way---one in Bellingham, WA and another in Port Angeles, WA. The first stop was the Big Lots in Bellingham, WA and I started my search in the stationery aisles. I had almost given up hope when my eyes spotted the pens in their hanging cardboard packaging. The pens looked pretty good...and the price ($2.99) was even better! :D They even came with a cartridge of nice black ink (it was hidden up in the top part of the barrel) so I could try the pen out right away. I have had absolutely no problems with my Penatia (chrome and black "Lexington" model)---it starts up right away and lays down a nice medium-fine line.

Thanks again everyone for posting your experiences about the pens! I hadn't even heard of Big Lots until I read this thread. Oh, and I got a Parker Vector rollerball for 50 cents on sale :)