Esterbrook J bar size?

Gatorade

I need to know what size J bar is needed for an SJ Esterbrook. Also to install do you just align the long side with the lever and press it to the end? Thanks for the help.

Best use of a pen:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/Gator_b8/DANNYSICOVER.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gerry

• Gatorade

• ac12

• Chouffleur

Top Posters In This Topic

The original I have is 50 mm, although you could probably use a 52 or 54 if those were available. There's a plug (spacer) in the end of the barrel to prevent the J-bar from going too far down. Without that, the longer bars would fit well.

Yes, you have the installation described correctly.

Gerry

Since there are a number of plugs, plastic inserts etc that are sometimes missing, not to mention the various lengths of J-bar available, I could mention that the end of the J-bar that is closest to the threaded end of the barrel should be 15mm or greater inside the barrel to miss the section and nipple that projects inside the barrel.

If you adjust the J-bar to miss the section, it will work as intended.

Gerry

The original I have is 50 mm, although you could probably use a 52 or 54 if those were available. There's a plug (spacer) in the end of the barrel to prevent the J-bar from going too far down. Without that, the longer bars would fit well.

Yes, you have the installation described correctly.

Gerry

This is for an SJ the smaller one, so I don't think there is a plug in the top. I guess the 50 will work. :huh:

So how long does it usually take a letter to get to Miami from Canada? Haven't gotten the MO yet from the nibs yet but like I said I have heard that letters take a while. :D

Best use of a pen:

I took apart a SJ to do the measurements for you. It had a pellet in there, which surprised me. Thought they were to make LJ's the same as the SJ, but 'there it was'. Of course, a previous owner could have put it in just to confound me... <_<

I just took apart a 'J' that had the plastic insert to position the J-bar, and the bar was also a 50mm.

Anyway, should your SJ not have a pellet, then the longer J-bars should fit just fine. Just watch that 15+ measurement (the J was 20mm edge of barrel to J-bar end).

Re the mail - I should have thought within a week. Stuff coming up here usually takes 2 weeks, but I always thought that was Canadian customs that was responsible fot the delay. Shouldn't be customs delay on a letter. :(

Keep me updated on the delivery, or lack of it.

Gerry

I took apart a SJ to do the measurements for you.  It had a pellet in there, which surprised me.  Thought they were to make LJ's the same as the SJ, but 'there it was'.  Of course, a previous owner could have put it in just to confound me...  <_<

I am getting a visual of some sadistic pen collector that modifies pens for no reason but to confound future owners and laughs like Dr. Evil when he hears about someone finding one of his plants!

Re the mail - I should have thought within a week.  Stuff coming up here usually takes 2 weeks, but I always thought that was Canadian customs that was responsible fot the delay.  Shouldn't be customs delay on a letter.  :(

Keep me updated on the delivery, or lack of it.

Gerry

I'm not sweating it yet. It is probably sitting in my box at home right now. I'll let you know in a week or so if it doesn't show. I will also email Peachez to see if she finds it in the pile of stolen mail from her end! :rolleyes:

Best use of a pen:

• 9 years later...

I just received my latest purchase, a silver SJ Icicle. Surprisingly the sac looks fine but the J-bar is broken. It looks to have been the 50 mm size (in black). I don't know if it's the original so I wanted to check to see what the most appropriate replacement is and who to buy it from. The 54 mm version on the Anderson Pens website looks a bit different but is my early choice.

I thought I'd ask for an opinion from one of the seven billion people on the planet more knowledgeable than I. ;-)

I just received my latest purchase, a silver SJ Icicle. Surprisingly the sac looks fine but the J-bar is broken. It looks to have been the 50 mm size (in black). I don't know if it's the original so I wanted to check to see what the most appropriate replacement is and who to buy it from. The 54 mm version on the Anderson Pens website looks a bit different but is my early choice.

I think you really only have 2 options

#1 - get a junker Esterbrook and salvage the J-bar. This presumes that the J-bar isn't rusted and broken.

#2 - get a generic replacement J-bar from Anderson's. The 54mm J-bar looks to be your only choice. But the profile of the J-bar is different, I think the top is a U shaped bar, vs. the flat bar of the Esterbrook.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com