The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Field Notes notebooks

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Philip1209

Philip1209

Quantum Mechanic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 21:19

Nice review! I also am a convert from Moleskine to Field Notes, and have their calendar sitting on my desk. The paper has been great, but my cover shows some wear and I just had to add in an extra staple for one that broke from the cover. Like the reviewer, my notebook has gone camping with me with my Boy Scout troop, but luckily has not encountered moisture. I do feel that a more waterproof cover would be beneficial, though.

Sponsored Content

#22 fieldnotes

fieldnotes

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 22:33

Sorry about the server issues, we're just getting a ton of hits as people link us up and get our subscriber email. Thanks so much for all the support, it's an exciting day for us. Try later tonight, things should calm down a bit.

#23 hardyb

hardyb

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2009 - 17:34

"FIELD NOTES: GRAPH, LINED and BLANK

By popular demand, we have added lined and blank
Field Notes Memo Books to our original graph paper
version. They're all on sale and shipping right now.
If you can't decide, there's a "Mixed Paper Three-Pack"
that gets you one of each to try out
."

From a delightful Field Notes update received today!

http://fieldnotesbrand.com/

Edited by hardyb, 05 February 2009 - 17:36.

The Danitrio Fellowship

#24 Souldrifter

Souldrifter

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2009 - 21:07

Just got my Butcherblock Orange 3 pack today.

Normally, I'm not an "orange" type person (except when it comes to the fruit and the juice, which I love), but I've not been myself lately, I guess. wink.gif I picked up Shari's orange Waterman Harley "piston" fountain pen, and along with the bottle of Diamine Orange ink I've got waiting for a use, I think I'll have myself a citrus party in the hopes of staving off the colds and flu going around....

#25 beley

beley

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 17:20

QUOTE (someonesdad @ Jan 14 2009, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I liked the idea of these Field Notes when I saw them, but I did some arithmetic and found that they are an expensive way to buy paper. Since I tend to be a do-it-yourselfer, I decided to make my own little booklets. It's simple and cheap. I printed some ruled lines on HP Premium LaserJet 120 gsm paper. Then I used my wife's paper cutter to cut up six sheets of paper along with a sheet of card stock for the cover. I cut an ANSI A-sized (US letter) size sheet into four pieces to make the little booklets I use the most. I folded the sheets in half, using a spoon to smoothe the crease. These folded pieces were assembled into a booklet with the cover, then stapled.

Total cost for four little booklets was about 25 cents. Total time is under 15 minutes (excluding the printing task, as you will probably have to make a template up the first time); most of your time is spent folding.

You can find numerous web sites that generate rules and graphs for printing. Here's a script I wrote to do it. If you just want some lines, the easiest thing to do is generate some lines in a word processing program and print these. Format a paragraph with a line border on one edge, then adjust the paragraph spacing to get the line spacing you want.

Criticisms:

The typical stapler isn't ideal for this job, as with use, the inner sheets can be torn out (the staple's ends don't lie flat). The next batch of booklets I make I will sew in signatures with some dental floss, then use some heavy tape over the spine to cover the floss knots. These will be very durable.

I happen to like the overlapping of the pages. But if you like crisp edges, take the booklets to a printer or office supply store and have them trimmed on a paper shear.

If you want to make bigger booklets, you may have to buy a saddle stapler. Personally, I won't bother, as the sewing method is superior.

The HP 120 gsm paper is a bit thick. My next booklets will be made from Domtar Solutions 105 gsm paper, which I have found is the best all-around paper for the inks and pens I use.

I'm all about "do it yourself" and even worked in a print shop so making my own Field Notes notebooks wouldn't be difficult at all. The problem is time... making a template, printing the paper, cutting it out, folding, saddle stitching (or sewing or gluing). It takes time.

I'd much rather just buy Field Notes and be done with it. The $10 it costs me is a lot less than the $$ I would have lost due to the lost opportunity costs of what I could have been doing with that time.

#26 Eleventeen

Eleventeen

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 23:40

QUOTE (beley @ Feb 10 2009, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm all about "do it yourself" and even worked in a print shop so making my own Field Notes notebooks wouldn't be difficult at all. The problem is time... making a template, printing the paper, cutting it out, folding, saddle stitching (or sewing or gluing). It takes time.

I'd much rather just buy Field Notes and be done with it. The $10 it costs me is a lot less than the $$ I would have lost due to the lost opportunity costs of what I could have been doing with that time.

I'm kind of in the same boat. My corner punch is one of those craft types so I only do something like 2-3 sheets worth at a time. To do a real thick notebook takes something like 10-15 minutes to get thru, and that's just the punching.

I've got access to a book binding machine and industrial folder and all that jazz, but the quality still isn't quite as nice as a real FN.

#27 henrico

henrico

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:20

happyberet.gif Isn't this funny. Just came back from Chapters/Indigo where I had another look at Moleskines after what I had said about them a few days ago on another thread. And what's on the shelves next to the Moleskins but Field Notes notebooks. huh.gif I didn't know that they were sought after also by gurus like you guys. Well, when I arrived home, I decided to check FPN to reread the Moleskins threads and here was this thread on Field Notes. sleep.gif

I guess I'll have to return to Chapters and check the differences. I need a small notebook, very rugged, indestructible, to keep in my shirt pocket or back pocket for field surveys. I don't like the regular survey books because of their thickness and stiffness. It would appear that paper in both Moleskines and Field Notes are similar quality but I really like the Moleskine binding better, so we shall see tomorrow. hmm1.gif

Henrico

#28 behrendprof

behrendprof

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 18:36

I'm a fan of the Field Notes products. I combine one with a Moleskine weekly planner of the same size and slip the Field Note in with the elastic strap of the planner. Now, since I refuse to use a pda or cell phone, this combination works perfectly for calender, notes, reminders, lists - everything. Eminently portable and compact.

I've not had any problems with bleedthrough or feathering.

Also - delighted to see the new versions. I'll be picking up some of those.

#29 Rob G

Rob G

Ester-broke

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2009 - 17:27

Received one of the sample packs two days ago. Very nice, and handy.

If I had a wish-list, it would include the following:

1. A stiffer cover, for easier writing while standing up.

2. A version with a glued binding, so that pages could be easily torn out. (This is my main complaint about most journals, especially the stitched ones. You cannot tear out individual pages without making a mess of it.)

Rob G

"Sacred cows make the best hamburger." - Mark Twain

#30 LamyDude

LamyDude

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 21:56

I enjoy these notebooks, but when I tried it for the first time I was a little disappointed since "everyone" here said the paper was so fountain pen friendly. I get quite a lot of bleed-through when using a fine nib. I still haven't tried with my medium or italic nibs, but I don't think that will turn out any better. I'm a regular user of Private Reserve's American Blue and Noodler's Red-Black and the latter had slightly less bleed-through. Anyway, it doesn't bother me very much since I love the design. Only wish the paper could be a little bit better.

#31 jimhughes

jimhughes

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 23:38

Have you looked at thehitlist. doanepaper. or Life Unplugged by Clairefontaine available at gouletpens. et alia resources. Similar style to Moleskine Cahiers or Field Notes, but much better paper for FP use. Reviews exist on all 3 on FPN. Prices similar to Field Notes. YMMV, Jim

#32 coco2u

coco2u

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:52

Great review! A friend of mine introduced me to Field Notes and I bring these little books with me daily! :clap1: :notworthy1: :thumbup:
Pat Green

#33 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 17:18

I enjoy these notebooks, but when I tried it for the first time I was a little disappointed since "everyone" here said the paper was so fountain pen friendly. I get quite a lot of bleed-through when using a fine nib. I still haven't tried with my medium or italic nibs, but I don't think that will turn out any better. I'm a regular user of Private Reserve's American Blue and Noodler's Red-Black and the latter had slightly less bleed-through. Anyway, it doesn't bother me very much since I love the design. Only wish the paper could be a little bit better.

To me, the Finch paper currently being used isn't as nice as the Boise paper that was used when I started buying Field Notes. With that said I am still satisfied overall. I just wanted to mention the paper change since it did change characteristics at least a bit for me.

The nice thing about Field Notes is that the back inside cover gives all the specs including what paper was used.

#34 Moynihan

Moynihan

Old Guy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 16:23

Interesting thread. A few years back i ordered a three-pack to try. Worst paper/FP experience I have had with a boutique brand notebook. Fine point Parker 51 with parker ink, the paper was kleenex like.
They did not go to waste though, since they went into my literal "field note"book pile for use while doing nature study (mech pencil/space pen).
I assume though, given this discussion, that the paper has changed since a few years back. Might have to try them again now.
"I am a dancer who walks for a living" Michael Erard "Reality then, may be an illusion, but the illusion itself is real." Niklas Luhmann

Sponsored Content

|