MB Pope Julius II 888 Edition

yachtsilverswan

That is an absolutely beautiful pen, yacht.

I imagine that I'll get one someday. I mean it's only about half the cost of a low-end Patek, right? (See, that's called justifying a purchase.)

Congrats!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yachtsilverswan

• Ghost Plane

• Pepin

• hollyuk

As a new convert to this wonderful hobby (this is my 2nd post) I have to add that reviews like this are one of the reasons I had to allow myself to be taken in by the art and beauty of the pen.

Certainly a pen like this is the equivalent of a fine automobile that costs many hundreds of thousands of dollars. While I may not have one (yet), I sleep better knowing that they are out there and like said automobile I love it all the more when they are being used!

Thank you for sharing.

Ryan

What a nice thing to say. Thanks Ryan.

I heartily agree that many limited edition pens like the PJ 888 are art - functional art (and that's what makes them fun) - but art nonetheless.

A couple of years ago, a major museum mounted an exibition of Ralph Lauren's car collection - not as cars, but as art - the flowing lines, the visual textures. It was one of the most popular exhibits since King Tut.

And good news for pen lovers, most pens do not appreciate in value over the years, unlike classic cars. So the prized limited edition we may have just drooled over when we were poor students can become very affordable later on with a good job underneath us.

Thanks for taking time to read my review.

Ray

Atlanta, Georgia

Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point with Richard Binder ItaliFine 0.9mm/F Nib

Faber Castell's Porsche Design with Gold & Stainless Mesh in Binderized CI Broad nib

Visconti LE Divina Proporzione in Gold with Binderized CI nib

David Oscarson Valhalla in gray (Thor) with Broad Binderized CI nib

Michel Perchin LE Blue Serpent (reviewed) with Binderized CI nib

Montblanc 149 in Medium Binderized CI nib

Montblanc Pope Julius II 888 Edition (reviewed) in Bold Binderized CI nib

I imagine that I'll get one someday. I mean it's only about half the cost of a low-end Patek, right? (See, that's called justifying a purchase.)

Congrats!

(chuckles) So you measure things in Patek-equivalents huh? I measure things in boat-bucks.

So what would you rather have - half of a Patek, or a PJ 888? What can you do with half a Patek?

Oh, and Stewie rocks.

Ray

Atlanta, Georgia

Faber Castell's Porsche Design with Gold & Stainless Mesh in Binderized CI Broad nib

Congrats!

(chuckles) So you measure things in Patek-equivalents huh? I measure things in boat-bucks.

So what would you rather have - half of a Patek, or a PJ 888? What can you do with half a Patek?

Oh, and Stewie rocks.

Stewie rocks like nobody else.

Watches are my primary collection and probably one of my biggest passions. I simply love them.

I actually took up collecting pens because they are cheaper than watches and it would give me something to search for between horological acquisitions.

Cheaper, ha!

Congrats!

Oh, and Stewie rocks.

Actually, its just about the price of a 3919R Calatrava NOS now that it has been replaced by the 5119s ;)

Edited by Pravda

Yacht,

I've been drooling over this pen in your avatar since I joined the forum. Many thanks for dazzling us with one of the more comprehensive reviews I've ever read. A gentleman and his toys, ah, yes--the joys of life!

I'm not normally a big fan of ornate metal-bodied pens, but this one looks pretty amazing.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

Also now I'm wondering what the rest of your attire looks like when you don this pen for a night on the town. :D

Well, perhaps this little tidbit will give you a clue. I'm 50 years old and have never worn a pair of jeans, never worn a T shirt. (though I was probably ten years old before I was forced kicking and screaming to wear socks - a funeral)

The Pope Julius usually rides along when I am wearing a dark suit, a tux, my summer dinner jacket, or (on New Year's Eve) white tie.

I have an old 1952 Cadillac limousine that a local college kid drives when I have a big date - so the old-world ornate look to the Pope Julius fits in pretty well with the rest of "Dressed-up-Ray." I clean up "good."

It's not the favored carry for Saturday morning errands with khakis and a polo.

Just one question (sigh) -

Will you marry me?

Seriously - a fantastic review of a fanstastic pen. Thank you very much! I really enjoyed reading it and I am delighted to hear that you actually use this and get so much pleasure from it. I know owners are entitled to do what they want with their pens, but it seems such a shame that some are not used and loved, but locked away. I also love my 149 which I have had for many years - it has a broad nib and is a very steady, reliable writer, and it works hard to help me improve my handwriting! Really love it!

Bye the way - what yacht do you sail?

My five rules for living:

1. Free your heart from hatred, 2. Free your mind from worries, 3. Live simply, 4. Give more, 5. Expect less

My pens: MB Greta Garbo; MB 149; MB Mozart; Lamy Safari; Lamy Al-Star; Lamy Joy

My work: Bid Writing, Copywriting and more!

I was going to start a thread :What pen makes women swoon? I think I have my answer.

Also now I'm wondering what the rest of your attire looks like when you don this pen for a night on the town. :D

Well, perhaps this little tidbit will give you a clue. I'm 50 years old and have never worn a pair of jeans, never worn a T shirt. (though I was probably ten years old before I was forced kicking and screaming to wear socks - a funeral)

The Pope Julius usually rides along when I am wearing a dark suit, a tux, my summer dinner jacket, or (on New Year's Eve) white tie.

I have an old 1952 Cadillac limousine that a local college kid drives when I have a big date - so the old-world ornate look to the Pope Julius fits in pretty well with the rest of "Dressed-up-Ray." I clean up "good."

Will you marry me?

Seriously - a fantastic review of a fanstastic pen. Thank you very much! I really enjoyed reading it and I am delighted to hear that you actually use this and get so much pleasure from it. I know owners are entitled to do what they want with their pens, but it seems such a shame that some are not used and loved, but locked away. I also love my 149 which I have had for many years - it has a broad nib and is a very steady, reliable writer, and it works hard to help me improve my handwriting! Really love it!

Bye the way - what yacht do you sail?

A man's real possession is his memory. In nothing else is he rich, in nothing else is he poor.

I was going to start a thread :What pen makes women swoon?

Delta Aromatherapy.

Kidding!

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

Yacht,

I've been drooling over this pen in your avatar since I joined the forum. Many thanks for dazzling us with one of the more comprehensive reviews I've ever read. A gentleman and his toys, ah, yes--the joys of life!

Why thank you PTR - I enjoyed the research and the writing. That others seem to have enjoyed the read makes me smile.

One of the great joys of fountain pen use is the opportunity to use daily a clever little tool that can (if we choose) also bring beauty, craftsmanship, and individual style into our worklife and playtime.

Boys and our toys. Yes indeed. And a good pen review is a chance to show how we weave our toys together and into a larger coherent (well, usually coherent) life.

Ray

Atlanta, Georgia

Back off, sister! I saw him first! Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Fanning herself gracefully and resuming her Steel Magnolia decorum... Yacht, love, I forgot myself in admiration of your upstanding, erm, large, erm, impressive instrument of expression. I shall endeavour to keep our communications acceptable to the board chaperones. :wub:

Will you marry me?...

Yikes.

(ducks into darkened corner and squeaks out tremulous reply)

I'm one of those happily confirmed lifelong bachelors whose life orbits (some would say spins, some would say wobbles) around work, friends, and toys.

PenTieRun - can I borrow a fast pair of running shoes? Please. Now.

Ray

Atlanta, Georgia

Back off, sister! I saw him first! Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Fanning herself gracefully and resuming her Steel Magnolia decorum... Yacht, love, I forgot myself in admiration of your upstanding, erm, large, erm, impressive instrument of expression. I shall endeavour to keep our communications acceptable to the board chaperones. :wub:

Yes dearest, size matters.

Ray

Atlanta, Georgia

I was going to start a thread :What pen makes women swoon? I think I have my answer.

No, no, no Pepin.

Pens do not induce swooning. If they did, Montblanc and Perchin dealers would have fainting couches and crowd control.

Pen-guys induce swooning.

Full on swoonage is triggered by confidence, smarts, looks, and a coherent life that's fun, adventuresome, challenging, and interesting. Ok, well admittedly I watched "interesting" fade in my rear view mirror years ago headed toward "eccentric."

But a healthy enjoyment of our toys (cars, bikes, boats, guns, watches, pens...) signals that interesting life. Healthy interests give us something to share with the people we like - and if we're lucky, they have interests of their own we can share.

Ray

Atlanta, Georgia

Don't worry - I was only joking. I am a happily married middle aged lady! No need for the running shoes!!! My other half has lots of toys too - pens, guns, yacht, tons of sports gear - all the usual stuff!!!!

Enjoy the pen! It's a beauty!

My five rules for living:

1. Free your heart from hatred, 2. Free your mind from worries, 3. Live simply, 4. Give more, 5. Expect less

My pens: MB Greta Garbo; MB 149; MB Mozart; Lamy Safari; Lamy Al-Star; Lamy Joy

My work: Bid Writing, Copywriting and more!

Yacht,

I'm pretty sure with a lifestyle such as you have described, you already have a set or two of well used running shoes :roflmho:

Seeing this review has reinforced my decision to get out of the military and go make real money in the civilian sector; and dangit, that money's already spent now.

Amazing pen, and a great review. I don't own a MB yet, but I may have to give one a shot to see if it inspires greatness and a desire not to wear blue jeans.

-Will

Edison Pearl Custom .7 CI
Pelikan M200 - Binder .7 CI
Namiki VP Black Carbonesque - Binder .9 ItaliFine
Pelikan M200 - Binder Arabic/Hebrew Nib
MontBlanc 149 - M
Sailor Sapporo - EF

Don't worry - I was only joking. I am a happily married middle aged lady! No need for the running shoes!!! My other half has lots of toys too - pens, guns, yacht, tons of sports gear - all the usual stuff!!!!

Enjoy the pen! It's a beauty!

Sounds like your hubby is a lucky guy Holly. A loving partner who understands and indulges a guy's need for toys - good on you.

(takes off running shoes, wipes sweat from brow - dodged another bullet)

Ray

Atlanta, Georgia

Will you marry me?...

Yikes.

(ducks into darkened corner and squeaks out tremulous reply)

I'm one of those happily confirmed lifelong bachelors whose life orbits (some would say spins, some would say wobbles) around work, friends, and toys.

PenTieRun - can I borrow a fast pair of running shoes? Please. Now.

Oh, Yacht, I missed the post. The shoes are now in the mail. Hope they arrive in time to help you defend the toys, friends, and bachelorhood.

:thumbup: