Rave for The Pen Place

djh1031

I feel compelled to post a rave after every trip to the Pen Place in Kansas City. Although I have purchased a number of pens from on-line retailers as well as from here on FPN, there is something about walking into a small store that is wall to wall pens. Not only can I look longingly at pens that cost more than many cars I have owned but I also get to touch them. I have always felt I was their most important customer whether I was buying a $.50 refill cartridge, a new pen or nothing at all. I ordered an Aurora Ipsilon in matte orange and walked out with a red Lamy Safari filled with red ink (since the Aurora had to be ordered, I just couldn't walk out empty handed) I don't think I could have gotten a better deal anywhere and I am not talking just about price. As we see fewer and fewer brick and mortar stores selling pens it makes it that much more important to patronize places like the Pen Place. With prices that are competitive (not necessarily the cheapest but competitive) I really enjoy leaning on the counter, doodling with new freshly dipped pen and talking to someone who holds the same passion I do. I am grateful to have a specialty store nearby and will do my part to keep it that way.

Oh and I am not affiliated with the Pen Place nor related to anyone so affiliated.

Dan

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• J English Smith

• djh1031

• NYLegMan

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been there. It is compact - almost claustrophobic - but you are surrounded by pens, so it's ok. The service there is good and the selection is quite amazing for such a small store. Glad it's still there and going strong!

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

There's something special about fountain pen stores. The people still share a passion, which results in exceptional customer service. I must echo the same feelings about Arthus Brown in NYC. My wife recently "caught the bug" and I took her pen shopping. Mrs. Brown spent two hours with her, patiently answering every question at length, and let her dip about a dozen pens until a choice was made. Even though her first pen was inexpensive, Mrs. Brown greeted her like an old friend when she returned for a second pen.

While there might be better deals on the Internet, there's nothing like touching and trying various pens, and having an expert by your side to assist. It's well worth the extra cost to patronize these local stores, and have their support and advice.

Arthur Brown recently moved to a new location, and the store is spacious and well stocked. For some reason I loved the old store, with its sense of history and my long-time association, but the new shop it beautiful!

Just an analog guy in a digital world.

My avatar, "Max", my best boy... put to rest 7/26/10.