Lamy Safari

haywoody

You are the man!

And I thought I had enough of my 39 safaris... now I may need more... :P

nick

Edit1: thinking about it, do you have a white textured? As we previously discussed, the only one I found is branded for a company.

Edit2: Thinking again, I have another type of converter, a piston with a different design, but I think with the little snaps to clip on the feed section... will check

Edit3: I have an important meeting today I've been looking forward to, got some excellent news this morning that I though could take years to come (or never), and now I find this thread! Today is a great day!

Hey Nick,

I wondered when you would get around to adding something here :clap1: .

I do have a textured white pen, 2nd generation, unbranded. It came from eBay a few years ago and the woman who sold it to me swore that her husband bought it in Germany in 1979! I don't see how that is possible but I have no concept of time either so I didn't argue much. Anyway, it is a bit beat so I would love to find one in better condition.

I think I have another piston converter that came with a Safari too. It is similar to the current one but the knob is black and it doesn't have the bumps on the side to snap in to the Safari. I couldn't find it when I took the converter pics and I wasn't sure if it was meant to go with the Safari. Sound like yours?

I hope you have some interesting info buried in that collection of 39 pens... wow!

/Woody

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• christof

• Uffuffa

• Anne-Sophie

• pen2paper

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You are the man!

And I thought I had enough of my 39 safaris... now I may need more... :P

nick

Edit1: thinking about it, do you have a white textured? As we previously discussed, the only one I found is branded for a company.

Edit2: Thinking again, I have another type of converter, a piston with a different design, but I think with the little snaps to clip on the feed section... will check

Edit3: I have an important meeting today I've been looking forward to, got some excellent news this morning that I though could take years to come (or never), and now I find this thread! Today is a great day!

Hey Nick,

I wondered when you would get around to adding something here :clap1: .

I do have a textured white pen, 2nd generation, unbranded. It came from eBay a few years ago and the woman who sold it to me swore that her husband bought it in Germany in 1979! I don't see how that is possible but I have no concept of time either so I didn't argue much. Anyway, it is a bit beat so I would love to find one in better condition.

I think I have another piston converter that came with a Safari too. It is similar to the current one but the knob is black and it doesn't have the bumps on the side to snap in to the Safari. I couldn't find it when I took the converter pics and I wasn't sure if it was meant to go with the Safari. Sound like yours?

I hope you have some interesting info buried in that collection of 39 pens... wow!

/Woody

It seems I have another different converter. If I find 2, I'll msg you.

Will try to take pictures tonight.

nick

For sale: nothing!

Looking for: money!

To Buy: Visconti Titanium Skeleton, Omas Ogiva Demo (HT Piston filler), Stipula Etruria nuda, other demos :P

You are the man!

never), and now I find this thread! Today is a great day!

/Woody

That's probably the Z26 converter, it's not meant to be in a Safari because is has no bumps on the side... but it can fit...

LAMY has 3 different converters, look HERE!

Thank you very much for a most enjoyable, helpful history!

May you have pens you enjoy, with plenty of paper and ink. :)

Please use only my FPN name "Gran" in your posts. Thanks very much!

Ok, snapped a quick picture (took some time to find these)

these are the 3 old converters I have.

The difference between the red and black is (apart from the color) the snap on the side to go in the safari on the red one.

I got it with a used lamy joy... go figure...

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/testlogin007/safariconverters.jpg

I'm in a rush, so I,ll try to look into my pens more later.

nick

To Buy: Visconti Titanium Skeleton, Omas Ogiva Demo (HT Piston filler), Stipula Etruria nuda, other demos :P

:happyberet: I've said before and will say it again that the Safari will become a Classic FP some day.

So then, why don't we have a spot for Lamy under Brand Focus???. I know....I know..... :gaah:

I found this review very interesting. I didn't know that a simple looking Safari had to many parts!!!!! :yikes:

Thanks Woody :)

:happyberet: I've said before and will say it again that the Safari will become a Classic FP some day.

So then, why don't we have a spot for Lamy under Brand Focus???. I know....I know..... :gaah:

I found this review very interesting. I didn't know that a simple looking Safari had to many parts!!!!! :yikes:

Thanks Woody :)

great idea.. I've got Conway Stewarts, Pelikans, Crosses yet find I always wind up carrying either Safari or Vista with me in pants pocket. These guys are virtually indestructible. Would make an interesting thread under Brand Focus, I think

Knoxville TN & Palm Coast FL

• 1 month later...

saved by haywoody!!!

I was planing to buy a red safari and a black one with chrome fittings and exchange fittings between the two pens. I need to do this because both my nephews have to have red pens (color of their favorite soccer team - Hapoel Tel -Aviv) and I want them to be able to tell their pens apart. Now I know it can be done. My brother will get the all black.

Can you complete the rescue operation by giving instruction to the actual proses of dismantling the cap.

million of thanks and what a wonderful place FPN is.

Just grab and pull. It may be easier if you remove the nib first with a bit of tape before pulling out the feed. Sometimes the feed will come out with the nib.

Looking to exchange ink samples! Available: Noodler's Bulletproof Black, Noodler's 54th Massachusetts, Noodler's Black Swan in English Roses, Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher, Noodler's Operation Overlord Orange

Wow - great research! :notworthy1:

I'm a recent Safari keeper, but noticed that my newly arrived Orange LE doesn't have the cross in the top of the cap like my red one does .... is that part of the LE design?

Thanks!

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

I'm a recent Safari keeper, but noticed that my newly arrived Orange LE doesn't have the cross in the top of the cap like my red one does .... is that part of the LE design?

Thanks!

Hi. Nope, I think that is so people can't unscrew the top and swap clips. It is much easier to do with the caps with the cross in them. For instance, someone could buy a bunch of LE Safari "Spring" rollerballs, take the clips off and put them on this year's LE and voila! All of a sudden you have the Lamy Safari "Flame" LE which people seem to want to pay huge cake for.

Kathryn

Why, sometimes I'd like to take a switchblade and a peppermint and a Cadillac and throw it all in a fire.

Danitrio Fellowship

Ah! Thanks, Kathryn. Shame, though - I like the look of the 'screwtop'!

Sue

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Thanks!

Hi. Nope, I think that is so people can't unscrew the top and swap clips. It is much easier to do with the caps with the cross in them. For instance, someone could buy a bunch of LE Safari "Spring" rollerballs, take the clips off and put them on this year's LE and voila! All of a sudden you have the Lamy Safari "Flame" LE which people seem to want to pay huge cake for.

Kathryn

Might have been on old ones, but the new ones don't screw off (including the flame).

I think it is just a design choice.

nick

• 4 weeks later...

Excellent writeup, Woody! I hadn't seen it back in January--don't know how I missed it. In any case, I'm going to link it in the index because it contains such valuable information. Thanks for providing this wealth of Safari details. :thumbup:

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

An impressive and interesting work!

Thanks for sharing these informations!!!

Saluti.

Riccardo

What a wonderful post. I will never look at my charcoal safari and my vista the same way again! Thank you so much for your hard work and for sharing it with us.

Edited by oldnavy1988

"Let us cross over the river and sit in the shade of the trees." Final words of General 'Stonewall' Jackson (d.1863) when killed in error by his own troops at the battle of Chancellorsville.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

• 2 weeks later...

Bumped because until Lamy gets its own subforum, this wonderful history is going to be lost on page 2 then 3... you get the drift.

I wish that thread could be pinned in the Pen History forum.

I also realized that when they were produced Esterbrook did not have much more pens models in their line up than Lamy has now. I also noticed that one of the Esterbrook is called a Safari.

I firmly believe that Lamy is poised to be the Esterbrook of the 20 and 21st century so why isn't it possible to make a forum for the brand?

I also don't understand the, sometimes fierce, opposition into making a Lamy forum, the pens are popular and they already have an history.

I also think they we would greatly profit from a subforum about pen from India.

Edited by Anne-Sophie

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?