Hi people! - Spanish cartoonist looking for extra thin nibs.

GonZoneStudio

Hi,

I am Gonzal Royo, a cartoonist from Aragon, Spain. I was looking for some fountain pens using google and I just found your forum.

This site looks pretty interesting as it is the wider forum about pens I found in the net.

I feel a deep love for pens as I use to write with them. Anyway I would like to find one useful to draw. I am an artist and a lot of years ago I used to add inks with technical pens. 0.2 for details and 0.4 for extern lines or 0.8 to fill black zones (lately I used brushes). Following the bad example of my fellow colleagues I started leaving alone the technical pens to start drawing with simply callibrated pigment liners. I know, I know, shame on me for that.

I own a book and stationary shop so I got close contact with retailers of pens and I would like to know more about pens to look for good ones and know what to look for when they show them to me.

Right now I am looking for a extra fine nib to get tiny details on my drawings. I had a wood ink pen but I hate to have to wet it on ink every two seconds. I would like to find a fountain pen so thin and tiny to get EXTRA thin lines but with ink inside to keep drawing and avoid getting the nib wet on ink.

Is this possible, would I find this kind of fountain pens or this will become a fountain of pain?

Thank you in advance and please, let me know about the thiner of the nibs to start looking in the proper place.

Best regards,

Gonzal

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GonZoneStudio

• playpen

• langere

• Henricum_Tropen

Welcome Gonzal! :W2FPN:

There is a thread going on right now on the "writing instruments" board about an XXXXF nib. They are referring to http://richardspens.com/ click on "speciality nibs" and follow it from there. Hope this is exactly what you are looking for! (Email him & ask questions!)

Much Love--Virginia

Welcome Gonzal! :W2FPN:

There is a thread going on right now on the "writing instruments" board about an XXXXF nib. They are referring to http://richardspens.com/ click on "speciality nibs" and follow it from there. Hope this is exactly what you are looking for! (Email him & ask questions!)

Thank you for your fast reply, I will do that.

Just as a sample of my artwork with pens, this was made with a Fine nib during past winter. The guy is Inigo Montoya from "The Princess Bride", perhaps you remember him...

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/8448/iigomontoyant5.jpg

THANK YOU!!

Welcome to FPN. Who indeed could forget Montoya? The book is an amazing one. You are an amazing artist as well! :)

I second the suggestion about Binder's xxxxf nib. I have one and it is exactly what you are looking for!

Bienvenido a FPN!!! Another suggestion is to look into XF Japanese pens. They are much finer than European pens and that will probably do the job.

I admire your talent and wish you good luck!

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Sailor Profit "B" nib running Van Dieman's Night - Shooting Star

:W2FPN: Welcome!! Beautiful work Gonzal Cheers Mike

Parker

51 set

21 set

21 Desk sets

Sheaffer

Preludes F M BP

Imperials

Snorkel Sentinel Admiral Statesman

Craftsmen

No-Nonsense M Italic

Reform 1745

Waterman Phileas F M

Might like a 149 someday!!

A bad day on the water is better than a good day in the office

Welcome from Canada. You may also wish to consider a vintage Esterbrook. There is a great choice of nibs, including some very fine nibs intending for mapmaking.

Peter

Hello and welcome. Wonderful work, you will find some other very talented artists on this forum. You should follow this thread on Binder xxxf

His work is wonderful. He is one of the best nibmeister's. I have no affiliation just a customer.

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

Hi from Australia.

You might want to also consider the Ackerman Pump Pen, designed to solve just your problem.

A number of people on the FPN have tried them, some with success, some not.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Welcome, Gonzal! You might also look at a Sailor pen with a Sabi-Togi nib. It's incredibly fine and delicate, but the nib is very smooth and the ink flow even - not at all scratchy. I've been very happy with one I bought a year ago from John Mottishaw.

Tom

Hello and welcome!

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember, amateurs built the ark.

Professionals built the Titanic.

• 9 years later...

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Well, nearly ten years later I'm back

Welcome back! Did you finally find the pen you were looking for?

Welcome back! Did you finally find the pen you were looking for?

actually not, but I used a Rotring core XS point and a Lamy ExtraFine point, its the more accurate and similar to my target in average stores.

I just got the thread of one member doing custom XXXXF nibs for fountain pens.

Still searching for another extrafine closer to my target.

Thank to all the members for the welcome and hoping to learn a lot from all of you.

Yours,

Gonzalo Royo

PS - as I told before I am a freelance artist, specialized in inks, you can check my portfolio in:

https://www.instagram.com/gonzonestudio (<- more drawings here)

https://www.pinterest.com/gonzonestudio

Edited by GonZoneStudio

Platinum Carbon Desk Pen EF has a very fine nib and is designed to use waterproof pigmented ink. It is finer than the Lamy EF and not so bad at drying out. I just picked one out of my drawing kit, not used for three months (because I have two) and it still writes first time. It's a good pen and not expensive.

Will work for pens... :unsure: