Introduction

phillychuck

I have been lurking for a week, and thought it time to chime in. While I have written with a fountain pen for years, I am afraid I have been bitten by the bug.

For the past 15 years, I have been writing with a Waterman LeMan 100 (generally using Mont Blanc Black ink). In December, I decided that I was tired of writing with other cheap pens beside my Waterman...

So, my wife had a cigar box of old pens, that I have revived: a Parker 45, a Parker 95, and a Schaeffer who's identity I have not figured out. So I figured what the heck, I'd get a few more. I bought two Samba's from Levenger, a Lamy Al Star from Dalys, a Pelikan 250, a Pelikan 150 and a Reform from Pendemonium.

Oh, and some inks. Well, I got the classic color six pack from Levenger, and Noodlers Legal Lapis and Cayenne.

I have decided I really like piston fillers, so I got a 2nd Pel 250, and what the heck, splurged on an 800.

Ouch.

I have the Parkers, the Schaeffer, the Sambas and the Lemay in a pen stand on my office desk (good user pens, I suppose). I carry around the Pelikans and the Reform in a Libelle wrap in my briefcase. When the Waterman comes back from repair (it had developed a leak in the band beneath the nib), it will go in the carry around as well.

Stop me before I buy again.

My least favorite in the menagerie -- the Samba's (not a great form factor, though they look cute), and the Lamy. I find it to be scratchy and slow to start.

I really do love the Pels, and the Reform (another piston filler) is a nice all around writer.

Where is the 12 step FAQ? :bonk:

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• phillychuck

• southpaw

• Slush99

• ballboy

What a nice set of pens to choose from. Pelikans will make you popular with KCat, but shame about your Lamy: mine always behave themselves. I suppose your Waterman LeMan is a heavy pen.

Glad you could join us

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

Welcome to the FPN!

Uhhh . . . the 12 step program. Yes, we have one. Basically, it's just cycling over and over through the steps of seeing nice FP, buy FP, buy ink for FP, and repeat :P . Alternatively, you could just box 'em all up and send them to me to help cure you ;) ;) ;) . I promise to take good care of them.

See you around and again, welcome! (Any chance you'll post some pics of your pens?)

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Welcome! As for the twelve-step program... laughs hollowly. Yeah, right. Enablers, every last one of us. We want you down here in the depths of pen and ink and paper obsession with us!

I am going to post my collection with some commentary. This first set of photos are my two Parkers. A 45 -- silver cap and black body. I think this is a medium point, but really writes towards the broad. Then a 95, black (brass?) body with gold trim and nib, and a medium point. More photos follow.

post-31-1142992215_thumb.jpg

Here is my set of Pelikans --

- two (amber and anthracite) 250s -- both broad points

- a 150 in broad (black)

- top -- an 800 medium in black and silver

post-31-1142992602_thumb.jpg

Here is a closer shot of the amber, which I really think is a nice pen to show off with. It looks great with Levenger Cocoa ink!

post-31-1142992687_thumb.jpg

Here is my Shaeffer. If anyone can help ID this, I would appreciate it. The body is more of a solid red than mottled as in this photo. Nib is moderately scratchy -- only a fair writer. I replaced the original aerometric converter with a plunger converter.

post-31-1142992789_thumb.jpg

Here is the Reform -- a piston filler, medium point. I got this from Pendemonium, and find it to be a decent general purpose writer.

post-31-1142992879_thumb.jpg

And last, but by far not the least, my 15 year old friend -- Waterman LeMan 100, just back from repair. Medium nib.

post-31-1142992958_thumb.jpg

First - thanks for the welcome you posted for me. It's nice to know there are other "starving academics" who are fountain pen addicts - I mean afficianados.

The Sheaffer you asked about is a Lifetime Imperial from the '60s or '70s. I've got a Touchdown filling version from the 60s and two of the C/C fillers (like yours) both from the late '60s or early '70s.

Thanks for providing the pictures.

• 2 weeks later...
Welcome! As for the twelve-step program... laughs hollowly. Yeah, right. Enablers, every last one of us. We want you down here in the depths of pen and ink and paper obsession with us!

Enabler's my "posterior region"! Since I found this site two weeks ago in a quest for basic information, I have purchased four pens, four converters, and seven bottles of ink! This stuff is like crack for writers, and most of you are pushers with your color photos, and highly detailed descriptions...now if you will excuse me, I have to see a site about a pen. :drool:

Speaking of Philly, how was the Philly Pen Show? I live 90 minutes away and I couldn't make it. But how long have you been collecting pens? Don't try those self-help programs, they want you to convert back to ballpoints.

I Feel SO GOOD, I'm Gonna Break Somebody's Heart Tonight

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy and welcome to the one place that will increase your desire to buy more pens than ever! ;)

Sincerely yours,

Ronnie Banks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."