Danitrio Takumi Urushi

garythepenman

This is my second pen from Winedoc (Kevin Cheng) and is in fact the same size as my raw ebonite Takumi.

It is a C/C filler and arrived in a black laquered box deeply lined with a velvet type material. The presentation alone makes it look a million bucks. I won't tell you the price but I asked Kevin if he had any "specials" left and I jumped at the chance. There aren't many of these babies around.

Now to the pen.

It's Takumi size which is not small by any standards but it is very light and easy to hold. Writing is an easy affair and not tiresome at all, one of the most comfortable pens I have.

The body under the Urushi laquer is ebonite. This pen differs from my first Takumi in that it has a gold clip, not silver. This really suits this pen.

The finish is a lusturous glossy sheen and the section has the signature (I assume anyway) of the artist responsible in red. The pen is a deep blue / purple and changes depending on the light (it might be my eyes though :lol: ).

Fit and finish are nothing but perfect.

The nib I selected this time is a flexi medium and boy is it flexible. Great variation in line width depending on pressure. Very smooth as always. The nib is from the Bock factory and is beautifully detailed.

It writes perfectly with quite a wet line, more so than my broad on the raw ebonite one.

I'm not sure how durable the Urushi laquer is but this won't be an everyday user and if I do pocket it I'll make sure no other pens or glasses are with it. It does come with a nice polishing cloth though.

Overall this pen would stun anyone if you pulled it out to sign a cheque or contract. I am totally thrilled with it, it's much better than expected although my expectations were high to start with.

Finally thanks Kevin, I'm totally chuffed to say the least and the pen arrived in super quick time. Brilliant. I hope you don't mind me using your pic, my camera is c#$p.

Gary

post-34-1142898569_thumb.jpg

A wizard is never late, he arrives precisely when he means to.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• garythepenman

• southpaw

• DrPJM1

• George.A

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the review. A very stunning pen, there, Gary! Enjoy it, as I'm sure you will.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Hello Southpaw, my snail mailing buddy.

No doubt you'll get a snail written with this at some stage.

Gary

Congratulations! Looks like a great pen.

Care to post a writing sample to show the nib's flex?

Pedro

Looking for interesting Sheaffer OS Balance pens

DRPJM1,

Will post pic of writing sample and pics of box etc.. tonight my time.

Gary

Gary, wow, very beautiful! I too would like to see the pen's enclosure. Keep the picts. coming. Magnificent color.

By the way, my wife seen that pict. on Kevin's website and she loved that pen (let me tell you this is a "big deal" 'cuz she's not a pen person). I ****almost**** had her convinced that I should own one too.... :P

Enjoy!

Paul

A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~ Oscar Wilde, 1888

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

Paul you should own one, your wife is obviously a very discerning person with impeccable taste. :lol:

Gary

Glad you like the pen Gary. Nice review. I was actually very impressed how fast the pen get to you. You probably can do more with that flexy nib than I can. Looking forward to your writing sample.

Best,

Kevin

To Cross The Rubicon

Internet Pens

Beautiful color! I wish my local pen store (Bertram's Inkwell in Baltimore) carried these pens so I could see the urushi in person. I've got a mix of Pelikan blue and violet in my raw ebonite right now that I'm sure would go nicely with that beauty. What ink have you chosen to get things started?

Here's a few pics of the box etc..only have a basic camera sorry.

Amin, I'm using one of my favourite inks..WM Florida Blue..scribble / writing sample soon.

Gary

post-34-1142925518_thumb.jpg

• 8 years later...

I realize that this great review of this beautiful pen was done years ago, but hopefully, Gary or some other kind soul can let me know what color Takumi is this pen.

Is it what is called Roiro-migake Murasaki (purple) or one of the other colors shown on the Takumi page at nibs.com?

http://www.nibs.com/danitrio-takumi-fountain-pens.html

And do you still recommend this pen?

Never had a Danitrio, but tempted lately...... ;)

Thanks!

Mark

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

Thanks Gary for the review! If it's possible, I would like to see more pics with different light settings to see how it changes the color.