Lamy Al-Star vs Safari

saarshai

The AL-star is a little bit heavier, and it has a different feel in the hand. The body is a little fatter and cooler to the touch. But as said, it is more fragile. I don't use mine outside, I prefer a Safari for that. The AL-star does feel more premium and the smoke translucent section is nice. It has a different feeling than using a Safari, the Safari feels like the little brother.

For collecting I prefer the Safari, since they are sturdier and I can use them outside without fear. I have two AL-stars, sold two I had because I realized I could get more money for them (discontinued editions) and they paid for other pens. I didn't want pens of value being stored or rarely used at home. So I recommend getting one or two AL-stars of colors you really like, and they could be great pens to keep inked at home with some colors that you love (and better, that match them) and pick some nice Safari to use outside if you need to. I feel these pens are hard to have only one so it is better to rationalize things a bit. But I can't argue against collecting Safari colors you like, they are useful simple pens that will last.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Silvermink

• skipwilliams

• HDoug

• saarshai

I have owned a Lamy Vista (the same as the Safari but clear, transparent plastic) and two Lamy Al-Stars. I have just bought a Lamy Safari (charcoal colored, extra fine black nib) to replace the Al-Star I have now, which will arrive in the mail Ina few days. I thought I lost my Al-Star, but I found it. I had dropped it in the parking lot of my apartment building. The cap was about half a foot away from the rest of the pen. The rest of the pen was fine but the cap was crushed.

On the inside of the cap of the Al-Star, you may notice what looks like little strips of brass or copper colored metal, arranged along the inside half of the cap toward the top of it, going the length of the cap, which probably bend or compress to make the cap post tightly to the back of the pen. These strips of metal were not in the cap of the Lamy Vista. I don't think anybody else has mentioned or noticed this.

I don't collect pens. All of my pens have have gotten broken or lost or stolen. My pens seem to each last me one to 1-1/2 years, although I plan to be more careful with the Safari. In my experience, the Al-Stars were not any more or less delicate then the Vista (clear version of the Safari). When put under too much stress, plastic tends to crack while aluminum tends to dent or deform. When the colored aluminum gets scratched, some of the bare aluminum is exposed. In the colored ABS plastic of the Safari, I would guess that the color is mixed into the liquid plastic before it is shaped, so the color should go all the way through the plastic and is not just be on the surface.

Edited by Lyutsin21

The LAMY Safari is an excellent fountain pen. It's ABS plastic construction comes in many colors.

A clear plastic Safari is called, "Vista". The aluminum Safari is called, "Al-star". My beat-up Vista, with a yellow Safari cap is called "Leroy".

Get one of these and enjoy swapping the different nibs.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

• 2 weeks later...

Al Star is prone to dents and scratches. Safari is more durable especially Matte finished one. But translucent section of Al Star looks better. So I am using my charcoal safari with section swapped with Graphite Al Star section. Both pens were purchased in 2008. Al Star is full of scratches and dents and matte finish of charcoal safari is wearing out to glossy one. But still Safari looks better.

A clear plastic Safari is called, "Vista". The aluminum Safari is called, "Al-star". My beat-up Vista, with a yellow Safari cap is called "Leroy".

For reasons I can't seem to pin down, I find this state of affairs delightful. I hope, someday, you post a "Travels with Leroy" photojournal, filled with pictures of you jotting down your thoughts in exotic locales -- every photo showing just a notebook, a hand, and a well-travelled yellow-capped Vista, against backdrops of ocean sunsets, wetlands, pine barrens, and Incan ruins.

For reasons I can't seem to pin down, I find this state of affairs delightful. I hope, someday, you post a "Travels with Leroy" photojournal, filled with pictures of you jotting down your thoughts in exotic locales -- every photo showing just a notebook, a hand, and a well-travelled yellow-capped Vista, against backdrops of ocean sunsets, wetlands, pine barrens, and Incan ruins.

:D :D :D B)

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~