The Wing Sung produced Sheaffer

diplomat

There are several auction on ebay Italy claiming that the Wing Sung company is producing the Sheaffer's Triump under some kind of agreement.

I am traslating from the original italian statement:

"La Triumph prodotta dalla Wing Sung è una stilografica che viene realizzata da molti decenni per accordi commerciali intercossi con le aziende e, ancora oggi, riproduce la stessa versione degli anni ’50, mantenendo invariata la forma, il design, i materiali d’utilizzo ed il caratteristico pennino"

The Wing Sung produced Triumph is a fountain pen that is produced since several decades under commercial agreement between the firms and, still today, it reproduces the same version of the 50s, maintaining the same shape, design, materials and the characteristic nib.

Don't you think this is a sort of a scam? Just a way to get some 35€ plus shipping from a 2$ pen...

But what I like best is the next statement:

"Cari Amici, attenzione a non equivocare, come esiste la Parker prodotta in Inghilterra e quella prodotta in USA, così anche altre Case, formulano accordi di collaborazione."

Dear Friends, be careful to not misunderstand, like there is a Parker made in UK and a Parker made in USA, the same way other producers have agreement for cooperation.

????

Look at the original auction:

http://cgi.ebay.it/Sheaffer-Triumph-realiz...A1%7C240%3A1318

The pen is inspired by the TM Triumph Sheaffer's model, but it is far away from the original design:

- has a snap cap

- has a plastic window

- is cartridge filler

It's a pity to think that some inexperienced enthusiast fountain pen user will be disappointed from the quality of a 35€ pen!

Cheers,

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• diplomat

• Johnny Appleseed

• PenHero

• ANM

I have a Sheaffer Triumph nib and I've had a Wing Sung "Triumph" nib, and someone is going to be really, really disappointed. I paid $8 for mine and it was fun for grinding experiments, but had it been 35 Euros, wow, I would have not been happy.

Hi,

Agreed on all counts. The similarity of nib configuration is obvious; as to similarity of writing quality...well, let's just say the Hero/Wing Sung replication of the Parker hooded nib, imperfect though it may be, is far more successful than this impersonation of the Triumph.

As to the question whether these pens may have been manufactured in a nationalized Sheaffer facility, as I have occasionally heard, I can't say one way or the other. If that story is true, then it may represent the kernel of fact well-hidden in this eBay flight of fancy.

And speaking of Chinese pens with "Triumph" nibs: the strangest example of a Chinese pseudo-Sheaffer must be the c. 1960s/70s "Triumph" nib Univer. (Specimens turn up from time to time on eBay, and I actually own one - purchased with full foreknowledge of what I was buying.) Of all brand names to borrow, I reckon that one has to be among the most unlikely of candidates.

Cheers,

Jon

The simplest way to understand this is that the seller is misrepresenting the pens. They aren't Sheaffers, they are copies/imitations/knockoffs, the pen equivalent of the fake Rolex. Maybe somebody should report the seller to eBay.

The seller should be reported for stating that these were made through an agreement with Sheaffer. That is a blatent falsehood.

However, the pens themselves are imitations/knockoffs, but not fakes. They clearly have WingSung branding and do not claim to be Sheaffer's. They use the Triumph nib design, but the design patent expired on that in the late 1950s, so it is fair game.

The pen is inspired by the TM Triumph Sheaffer's model, but it is far away from the original design:

- has a snap cap

- has a plastic window

- is cartridge filler

(emphasis mine)

I believe they are actually filled by an integrated squeeze-filler. I have one of these in my "waiting to be inked" stash, but I have not tried it yet. I confess that I was really eyeing the marbelled versions of these that were for sale at Isellpens.com -but not for 33 euros.

While the design is an imitation of the vac-filler and touchdown era of Triumph-nibbed pens, Sheaffer produced other pens with Triumph nibs, including cartridge-filled variants. They produced a Cartridge Pen with a steel Triumph nib, as well as the 777 with a 14K Triumph and the LadySkripsert and Skripsert pens with Triumph nibs. I happen to have (in my pocket at the moment) a lovely chrome-plated, cart-filled Sheaffer with a steel Triumph nib that is somewhere in the quasi-imperial/skripsert era - not really sure what model Sheaffer called it.

John

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

SHEAFFER PARTNER, eh? Doesn't seem to be the same guy that keeps pulling this kind of thing on the US eBay site, though.

Edited by Silvermink

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

While the design is an imitation of the vac-filler and touchdown era of Triumph-nibbed pens, Sheaffer produced other pens with Triumph nibs, including cartridge-filled variants. They produced a Cartridge Pen with a steel Triumph nib, as well as the 777 with a 14K Triumph and the LadySkripsert and Skripsert pens with Triumph nibs. I happen to have (in my pocket at the moment) a lovely chrome-plated, cart-filled Sheaffer with a steel Triumph nib that is somewhere in the quasi-imperial/skripsert era - not really sure what model Sheaffer called it.

John

Sheaffer also made at least one triumph nib pen with a lever fill.

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

SHEAFFER PARTNER, eh? Doesn't seem to be the same guy that keeps pulling this kind of thing on the US eBay site, though.

That guy goes by artin

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

- has a snap cap

- has a plastic window

- is cartridge filler

(emphasis mine)

I believe they are actually filled by an integrated squeeze-filler. I have one of these in my "waiting to be inked" stash, but I have not tried it yet.

Hello John, you are actually right. The seller claim the filler is "aerometric", of course!

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

...snip...

Hello John, you are actually right. The seller claim the filler is "aerometric", of course!

Ah yes...one of those really, really rare Sheaffer Parkers.

Jon

Maybe he meant it was "aromatic"... :hmm1:

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

Sheaffer also made at least one triumph nib pen with a lever fill.

My late-40s Crest is a lever-fill with a Triumph nib.

cfclark

email cfclarktn at gmail dot com Twitter cfclark Facebook PM me

51 Flighter Fetishist

I am not sure how I got it, but my understanding was that Wing Sung products were no longer made and the facility had been turned over to producing Sheaffer products alone. At least some Sheaffer products are assembled in China, I think. Am I wrong?

I am not sure how I got it, but my understanding was that Wing Sung products were no longer made and the facility had been turned over to producing Sheaffer products alone. At least some Sheaffer products are assembled in China, I think. Am I wrong?

Sheaffer Calligraphy, Agio, 100, 300, 500, Sentinel and Prelude are made in China now. As to whether they are made in / by Wing Sung is pure speculation - I would not believe it at all unless I was shown Sheaffer material that said so. There are a lot of companies in China who can make high quality pens. Just because Wing Sung decided to copy Sheaffer Triumph pens does not mean that Sheaffer is using them now.

Cheers,

Jim Mamoulides

www.PenHero.com

Edited by PenHero

- has a snap cap

- has a plastic window

- is cartridge filler

(emphasis mine)

I believe they are actually filled by an integrated squeeze-filler. I have one of these in my "waiting to be inked" stash, but I have not tried it yet.

I think that is a fair claim. I inked mine up last night, thanks to this thread. It does have a breather tube, and I think it is fair to call a squeeze filler with a breather tube an aerometric. There are some purists who hold that the term aerometric should only be applied to a few models of Parker 51, but I think they are in the minority among collectors. While I am not sure what side of the fence I sit on, I would not criticise a seller for using aerometric in a manner widely used within the hobby (even if it may not be technically correct).

It is not deceptive to call the Wing-sung filler an aerometric; it is deceptive to say Wing-Sung made the pens under an agreement with Sheaffer.

And you are right - the nib is the pits, even with some smoothing work.

John

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

There are several auction on ebay Italy claiming that the Wing Sung company is producing the Sheaffer's Triump under some kind of agreement.

I am traslating from the original italian statement:

"La Triumph prodotta dalla Wing Sung è una stilografica che viene realizzata da molti decenni per accordi commerciali intercossi con le aziende e, ancora oggi, riproduce la stessa versione degli anni ’50, mantenendo invariata la forma, il design, i materiali d’utilizzo ed il caratteristico pennino"

The Wing Sung produced Triumph is a fountain pen that is produced since several decades under commercial agreement between the firms and, still today, it reproduces the same version of the 50s, maintaining the same shape, design, materials and the characteristic nib.

Don't you think this is a sort of a scam? Just a way to get some 35€ plus shipping from a 2$ pen...

But what I like best is the next statement:

"Cari Amici, attenzione a non equivocare, come esiste la Parker prodotta in Inghilterra e quella prodotta in USA, così anche altre Case, formulano accordi di collaborazione."

Dear Friends, be careful to not misunderstand, like there is a Parker made in UK and a Parker made in USA, the same way other producers have agreement for cooperation.

????

Look at the original auction:

http://cgi.ebay.it/Sheaffer-Triumph-realiz...A1%7C240%3A1318

- has a snap cap

- has a plastic window

- is cartridge filler

It's a pity to think that some inexperienced enthusiast fountain pen user will be disappointed from the quality of a 35€ pen!

Cheers,

That pen is available in India for just Rs. 35 (I Euro == Rs.66). I have two of those and there are just cheap pens. Not really worth having. ANd they are being sold for 35 Euro!! Ha ha!

I have a very similar pen! A black Triumph Sentinel lever filler. Really nice pen.

Sheaffer Calligraphy, Agio, 100, 300, 500, Sentinel and Prelude are made in China now. As to whether they are made in / by Wing Sung is pure speculation - I would not believe it at all unless I was shown Sheaffer material that said so. There are a lot of companies in China who can make high quality pens. Just because Wing Sung decided to copy Sheaffer Triumph pens does not mean that Sheaffer is using them now.

Cheers,

Jim Mamoulides

www.PenHero.com

My understanding is that the Wing Sung is now owned by Hero. I got this info here on the forum but I am not able to locate it now...

Andre

I was intrigued a while ago and bought one, and I agree it's a piece of junk. I don't even use it for testing inks.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

My understanding is that the Wing Sung is now owned by Hero. I got this info here on the forum but I am not able to locate it now...

Andre

Then please don't repeat it. If you can't lay hands on the information and point others to it, then don't bring it up.

Cheers,

Jim Mamoulides

www.PenHero.com

Andre

Then please don't repeat it. If you can't lay hands on the information and point others to it, then don't bring it up.

Cheers,

Jim Mamoulides

www.PenHero.com

I was right. I made some research with Google and come with a lot of results. For example.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...entry4249

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=52947

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=89867

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...?showtopic=4863

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=77867

Looks like Hero purchased WS in the 90s.

Sorry Jim, I made and impulsive post before. I will not repeat the mistake.

Cheers,