Piedmont Stationers, Oakland CA - Closing

ctanouye

The following taken from their website :crybaby:

To Our Customers:

After 20 years in business, I have decided to call it quits at Piedmont Stationers and Office Supply.

This business has been an extension of my love and appreciation for all things individual and unique. I ran Piedmont Stationers as an independent business and am proud of the way it has retained an integrity and individuality so often watered down in today’s marketplace. The store has grown to be a part of this community and I treasure the ways in which the community has given back in countless ways, big and small.

Is it because of the economy? Bottom line, yes. I constantly tweaked our business model to adjust to the changes in the economy … but ultimately, we didn’t have the resources that Wall Street firms, banks and the rest have access to. And there is no golden parachute at Piedmont Stationers. Perhaps a golden fountain pen …

Like everything in life, running the store has been a learning experience and an unforgettable place to work, to make friends, and to grow as a person both personally and professionally.

Thanks to everyone who came into the store and counted on us as your stationer. Thanks to the broader community of stationery lovers everywhere – those who appreciate all things fine when it comes to paper, pens, folders, greeting cards, and the like. The website had been a great way to reach out to those of you who don't have a store like ours in your neck of the woods. I am sorry that we can't continue to serve you.

Most of all, thanks to the great folks who have called this their work home, putting in long hours to help customers, each other, and help keep the business running. Piedmont Stationers has been fortunate to employ some of the brightest, most talented, most wonderful people around, and these are the folks I will personally miss the more than anything. Without them the store would have been a hollow shell. As far as I am concerned, they were the lifeblood, the energy and the enthusiasm of our little store.

What does the future hold for me? I don’t have a clue. But I am very confident that all of the folks who work here will end up successful in pursuing whatever they choose. Jesse, Nora, Rachel, Jennie, and Ryan – eternal thanks to each of you.

Thanks for making Piedmont Avenue and Oakland a great place to do business and thanks for supporting us these past 20 years.

Shelly Lowe

President

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ralphawilson

• Iris

• ctanouye

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Very sad indeed. I've seen stationery stores closing all around the bay area, and I'm sure it's happened everywhere. The only one I know of now is Patrick's in San Francisco. (I don't know the situation in Berkeley or Oakland.) The big box stores, Staples, Office Depot, and OfficeMax, are no doubt tough competition, as are card stores and places like Target, and of course, the Web. I hate to be one of those old geezers who lament the loss of old stuff, but I will miss these places.

"The surface is all you've got. You can only get beyond the surface by working with the surface." ~Richard Avedon

:crybaby:

I stopped by about 6 months ago and really have them and their staff to thank for renewing my interest in fountain pens. The saleswoman who helped me was endlessly patient and kind as I tried out a good number of their pens, and as a fellow lefty, she helped me make one minor adjustment to how I held my pen that has made all the difference in the world in terms of writing experience. I left that day with a brand new pen and two bottles of inks.

Looks like I'll have to drop in for one last visit along with Stacy's bookstore in SF (they're shutting down too).

Gah.