What Pen Did You Broke/Lose/Spoil Today?

diplomat

A few weeks ago I was flushing my Pelikan M620 Grand Place with a medium-fine cursive italic nib by John Mottishaw. Placed the barrel on my desk, looked away for a second while the barrel suddenly rolled and fell to the floor. The nib survived unharmed but the section broke off the barrel in two pieces. :crybaby:

After a couple of Emails with Abi in Chartpak (penrepair@chartpak.com) I followed their instructions and mailed the broken pieces -- barrel and section -- with the cap over to them. The custom nib stayed with me.

Today I received the pen back with a replaced barrel matching the cap. The piston moves nicely. The pen was repaired under warranty free of charge! :thumbup:

Just screwed Mottishaw's custom nib back into the Grand Place, filled the pen with Noodler's Polar Blue and I'm HAPPY writing again with this wonderful, beautiful Pelikan pen!! :D Thank you Abi and Chartpak.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• diplomat

• Doug Add

• janemh

• SecretAgentMan

My son called me this afternoon from a friend's house where they were working on an AP environmental science project: "Dad, do you know anyone who repairs Phileas nibs? I dropped mine on the floor and the tines are crooked."

I looked at it when he got home this evening and thought I might be able to handle the repair. However, when I looked at it under magnification I realized one of the tines was twisted. Definitely above my pay grade.

But wait . . . there's more.

I have a sweet writing 1924 RHR Parker Duofold Jr. that I picked up last May for $25 because it had a small crack in the barrel threads. I was able to stabilize that several months ago and have been thoroughly enjoying writing with this pen. I had swapped nibs with a 1926 permanite pen that had become a parts pen due to a shrunken cap. Tonight I noticed a tiny nib crack coming down from the breather hole, and decided to return the original nib. While removing the nib I applied just a bit too much force and the barrel threads cracked off in my hand.

UGH! The demise of such a lovely writing instrument, and one with 85 years of history no less! So long Mr. C. N. Thomas, I hardly knew you.

Parts pen to the rescue, and I now have my first true Frankenpen:

1924 RHR cap

1926 cardinal red permanite barrel

It may not be pretty, but it writes beautifully!

Edited by Doug Add

Doug, how sad for you and for Daniel! The loss of both a modern (okay, a temporary loss) and a vintage FP at the same time!

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

Thanks Sharon. I just picked up a used Phileas for Daniel for less than the price of nib repair. We may yet get it repaired. Having several Duofold Jr. pens allows me to keep this one going, even if it looks a bit odd.

I am very disappointed to have lost my Sheaffer Taga stainless steel fine point on Monday 25 May. I had removed it from my pocket and placed it in a protective leather case and then put it in the front compartment of my zip up backpack and must not have closed the zipper all the way and I am thinking it fell out of the bag :bawl: I have not lost a pen since 2002 when I lost my limited edition all stainless steel Lamy 2000 edition 2000 ballpoint pen. I am very upset to lose the Sheaffer since it was my favourite and best writing fine point fountain pen I have ever owned.

I feel down, I lost my trusty Nononsense pen today. Now, OK, its only a cheap pen but I've had it since I started my current job, it's been my 'daily driver' and it had a nice sheaffer converter inside that until yesterday was filled with Diamine dark brown ink. Last night I decided to fill it with Teal instead. Does anyone suppose it didn't like the new ink and went off in a sulk?

A Pelikan M805 while cleaning it. The nib kissed the edge of the sink, shaping the nib into a curved bird's beak that is more at home on an eagle than a Pelikan.

Edited for grammar and to add: I can't believe how long the wait is to have it repaired, so I'll have to wait until after I move before shipping it off to a nibmeister for repair.

Edited by rpwage

I meant to look for this thread last Thursday when I dropped my freshly-restored Parker 51 Vacumatic, full of Noodler's Nikita.

The bad news (I still can't bear to take a better photo of it):

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr76/fbchumley/p51borked.jpg

The good news: replacement barrels are easy to find.

The better news: I now have a Flighter en route.

Not today (not even this week, in fact), but I dropped the section of my Confuscius Commemorative in a metal sink and just to spite me it landed nib first, splitting the tines and wrenching the feed out of alignment on what was once a pretty wonderful nib.

(Upside: the replacement I was waiting on has now arrived.)

• 8 years later...

Sheaffer Balance II, Aspen color, from Levenger. The cap was already cracked 3/4 of the way around, just above the cap bands. I was ready to buy some Captain Tolley's (as per Ron Zorn) to seal that almost-invisible crack, but decided I'd fill the pen and write with it (unposted of course) till I could do the crack repair. As I was filling the converter with a syringe, I heard something tiny and metallic hit the floor. It was the ring that goes between the section and the barrel, and I cannot find it now. I love, love, love the nib on this pen, which is why I had decided "cap crack be damned and I'll write with it anyway". Now, with that ring gone as well, I'm wondering if there's any way I can just salvage the nib and bid the body good-bye. Suggestions? Advice? Commiseration?

Just after writing that post, I thought I remembered reading that a Balance II section would fit a No-Nonsense pen body. Had a couple of those around, so I tried it. Seems to be a perfect fit, and maybe (for me) the best of all possible worlds: like having a beater car with a really great engine. The converter, full of ink, is installed and I'm going to try it out for a couple of pages.

My goodness. These posts are scary. :( I know what it feels to devastate a nib. So far the only nibs I have ever had to replace were my Waterman Phileas & Piper Empire Heart of Spring. Both hit the floor nib down. I remember that as being a 'painful FP day.'

Last week I wore my silver-filigree Waterman ringtop to work. Somewhere between the parking lot and my cubicle it unscrewed itself from the cap and vanished.

We papered the office with fliers, but so far all I've got has been the persistent question: "Have you found your pen yet?" That'll probably go on my stone.

Wow, this was an impressive piece of thread necromancy!

In its honour, I'll tell you a very brief tale of some minor pen necromancy. I have a near mint late Swan Calligraph, with a beautiful semi-flex nib, which suffered some serious pen belch a few weeks ago, and try as might I couldn't clean the Pilot Blue out of/off it. Then I could! Phew! (Melamine sponge, veeery veeery gently, over a few hours - didn't even damage the pristine shiny finish)

The other day I put a Noodlers tipped flex into a Jinhao x750. I've been doing that regularly with untipped for a while and they always work fine. This x750 is a bit of a mutant and the nib didn't go in so well, but I was test writing with it for a couple of days, until it ran out or ink, then I was going to try again with setting the nib. Alas, I put the cap on, and it wouldn't quite go, so I used some elbow grease (the enemy of pen fiddlers?!). A sickening pop, and one tine is now very badly bent. Not sure if it is fixable. I have a few untipped, but that was my only tipped, and I can't seem to find any more to buy! I wonder if Noodlers don't do them any more...

Hi, I'm Mat

:)

This is difficult for me...

I just broke the barrell of a nearly flawless vintage Astra, as in the German kind with the detachable piston.

I am really, really unhappy about this and I thought I might find some support here.

Oh, woe is me. Why did I have to use so much force? Why?

Late January 2013, a red marbled Waterman Phileas with fine nib disappeared late in the day at my office. I had had it for about 15 years. Replacement cost? $80-$200. I didn't.

June 2015. Pen roll with the following:

Pelikan M205 black

Pelikan M205 red

Pelikan M150

Pelikan 120 Merz and Krell

Parker 45 Flighter

Parker 45 - Made in Spain burgundy

Parker 51 Special set (w/mp)

I have sort of replaced most if not all. (M200 instead of M205 as an example)

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Visconti vanGogh, a yellow one. My only Visconti, and I really liked it. Was in my pants pocket, but never made it home. Tore the car apart looking for it there, but no luck. Saving up the money to buy another.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v30/carrieh/l.png