• Glenn-SC

• acfrery

• TMann

• RonB

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I be your friend?

Ron

Ron

Favorite Pens: Parker "51"Lamy 2000; Bexley America the Beautiful; Pilot Custom 823, 912 and 74; Sheaffer Early Touchdown; Parker Vacumatic; Sheaffer Legacy

The few fountain pen friends I have are too sophisticated for my gift budget, so most of the pens I give away are for my students.

I recently gave Hero pens to two students, and there was such a fountain pen fever at the University that I had to order a few Wality pens to prevent a riot. They arrived (from I Sell Pens; the usual disclaimer), and they are so nice I immediately orderer four more.

Alejandro

Edited by acfrery

I've only given away a few pens. They were mostly instances of people needing a pen, and I had an extra inexpensive one that I didnt' need. (<$30.) The one nice pen that I gave away was a vintage Waterman with a somewhat flexy nib. I was so frustrated with trying to learn to write in a Spencerian hand, that I decided that I'd just give the pen away. Actually, I think that I tried to sell it off first, but then decided to just give it away.

TMann

I don't believe they make them anymore.

I am sure he wouldn't mind settling for a regular M600 :lol:

Years ago, I bought a Waterman Gentleman, but I couldn't get it to loosen up, so I gave it to a friend in law school. I bought another Gentleman, thinking that this time my luck would change, but I ended up giving that one away as well. Same thing happened with a Waterman Carene, which found a home with a friend who works as a freelance writer.

All of my friends have had better luck with the pens than I did, so giving them away was the right thing to do. I guess I could always try another Waterman?

For Christmas 2005, Barbara and I gave her father, a retired Army bird colonel, a Bexley Armed Forces FP in Army green.

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

The first one that I gave away was a Montblanc 234 1/2. It was his (JT) first fountain pen and it hooked him. :D I think that it was the nib that did it.

Chris

Custom Bindes

I gave my sister a Sheaffer Silver Imperial pen, with a medium nib, I bought in 1974 to take the bar exam with. She graduates from law school in May. Although I paid about $27 for it, now it is worth around $100.

I have another one with a broad nib together with the pb and mp. Original box for the fp and instruction pamphlet.

One ink to find them,

One ink to bring them all

One ink to rule them all,

and in the darkness bind them..

I hope you can still do pen on bar exams, because I hope to take one in quite a few years.

At this point, probably a $45 Sheaffer Prelude. I've given three or four of them away over the past two years, including one to someone I only knew vaguely over the internet. I've given a number of less expensive Sheaffers, like No Nonsense ones, and Hero pens to people as well. In fact, I'm beginning to think that I should keep a stock of those, after testing them to make sure that they write well, on hand, for people who are curious.

A Waterman Phileas is the most expensive I've given - I think it cost me about $30. The next is a Wality piston filler I paid $10 for, and then a bunch of Parker vectors. A couple of my friends really got into fountain pens through the vectors.

I gave my wife my Visconti Van gogh after it came back from repair. I already had the Crystal and I liked it so much more than the Sandle Brown color. She digs the medium nib on it. I also bought her a Danitrio Brilliante with the optional 18kt gold broad nib. That is turning out to be one of her favorites. I actually bought 2 of them one in black for me and one in white for her, both with the 18kt gold broad nibs. Kevin did a wonderful job with it!!!

Aaron

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

• 4 months later...

101-150 for me. I sent fellow AU FPN'er Bigfella, my F Parker Sonnet, and soon to join my Sonnet will be a M Snorkel Statesman, once I have it fully restored. The nibs on these pens are too big for me.

Sonnet is about $95US, Snorkel will be about $50US. Bigfella did insist on sending me $20 and a surprise gift - a boxed bottle of Sheaffer 'King's Gold' (discontinued) ink. I was thrilled! (I wonder though if this behaviour could be viewed as us 'enabling' one other's 'addiction'... ;)

I recently found out a colleague draws a lot, so he may soon be a candidate for a nice FP. I also recently began writing to a friend from high-school, she will definitely be a candidate. I'm still deciding what pens they may enjoy best. :)

Edited by Phthalo

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection