I am going to make my own Cross Nib - anyone want to advise me?

jmkeuning

I am talking about a nib like the Nagihara Cross-Point. If this works, perhaps I will try a King Eagle next.

My plan of attack is to take two nibs from Sheaffer OS pens - one Balance, and one Flat Top. The Flat Top is the bigger nib, so it will sit on top. I will so some burnishing to get the two nibs to lie perfectly close to one another, then work on shaping the tip.

One question - do you think I will have to bend the top of the top nib down and over the top of the bottom nib? I think this will take some additional shaping, but it will also give me a really cool reverse-side surface to write on!

Once the nib is shaped, I will have to modify a feed, and posibbly a section, although I think it will fit into the OS section.

Thoughts?

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmkeuning

• Robert Hughes

• RevAaron

• Scrybe

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...that's pretty brave. From a complete novice perspective - I presume to get the ink to flow pretty well between the two nibs, both nibs will have to mesh / sit perfectly together ?

Good Luck...I would love to see the finished product. ;)

I am talking about a nib like the Nagihara Cross-Point. If this works, perhaps I will try a King Eagle next.

My plan of attack is to take two nibs from Sheaffer OS pens - one Balance, and one Flat Top. The Flat Top is the bigger nib, so it will sit on top. I will so some burnishing to get the two nibs to lie perfectly close to one another, then work on shaping the tip.

One question - do you think I will have to bend the top of the top nib down and over the top of the bottom nib? I think this will take some additional shaping, but it will also give me a really cool reverse-side surface to write on!

Once the nib is shaped, I will have to modify a feed, and posibbly a section, although I think it will fit into the OS section.

Thoughts?

Only one. take a ton of pictures, many notes, and make a major post after you effort.

nick

For sale: nothing!

Looking for: money!

To Buy: Visconti Titanium Skeleton, Omas Ogiva Demo (HT Piston filler), Stipula Etruria nuda, other demos :P

Very cool idea!

My advice: have fun while you're doing it, learn along the way and share (if you feel like it) what you learned when all is said and done.

Do you plan to align the breather holes? Perhaps you could solder the nib tails together, then grind them thinner so they'd be a better fit with the existing OS section/feed.

Great idea. I'll bet that's how Nagahara-san did his first prototypes...

Cheers,

Tom

Random thought.

Don't you have to take out the annealing before you work it?

See, this is what I need.

What the heck are you talking about?

I was going to do something to stick the two nibs together, one on top of the other, and then just micromesh the tip by drawing about 14,000 figure eights.

As for the breather holes, I will not line them up, as the alignment of the nib will depend more on my angle of attack.

Perhaps I will get out the hammers and chisels and get to work... Ugh. I left the anvil at work!

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

Welllllll...

This is what happens when you stack two OS Sheaffer nibs, drop them on an old ebonite feed that you find under the bathroom sink, and shove into the section from an Indian Eyedropper. Yes, the same ED that holds the Pelikan M1000.

Seriously, I left the anvil and the micromesh at work... I might have to go get it. The KeuningCross is going to work.

Come on folks - who else has done this and how did it work? If I do not get some good answers I am going to stack three or four nibs on top of each other. I heard that if you do that, and the pen writes, that both Sheaffer and Parker will come back to life.

No adjusting here at all. Just finding the two nibs that spoon nicely, a good sized feed and section.

The ink is a random mix of Sailor Blue Black and Noodlers Nikita. Whatever.

Paper is a Rhodia 5x5.

http://geekatlaw.com/pens/KeuningCross20081231a.JPG

What is this ... thing ... you're creating, again? Is this another one of those cockamamie ideas to reinvent the felt-tip? How's this work?

You gotta show us pictures. It's crazy, man! :notworthy1:

The moment we want to believe something, we suddenly see all the arguments for it, and become blind to the arguments against it.

~ Bernard Shaw.

http://geekatlaw.com//pens/cross316307.JPG

http://geekatlaw.com//pens/cross316308.JPG

http://geekatlaw.com//pens/cross316309.JPG

http://geekatlaw.com//pens/cross316310.JPG

http://geekatlaw.com//pens/cross316311.JPG

http://geekatlaw.com//pens/cross316312.JPG

So--what's next?

1. The curve of the bottom nib is good, so no change here. I will look for a stainless steel rod (or any steel) that is very close to the proper diameter. Perhaps a taper. Where can I get that?

2. Burnish the top nib against the bottom nib while the bottom nib site on the steel rod.

3. Curve the top of the top nib down and over the top of the bottom nib. I would rather have the reverse be Concord/Condor style rather than the XF that it is laying down now. I think that I should be able to get a pretty fine spot on a high angle in the regular position.

4. A few hours on the micromesh... should be sweet!

Before I get too crazy, I might try the same on a couple of Pelikan M200 BB nibs. They are a lot cheaper - but I will have a problem getting them inside that Pelikan collar. I am thinking that I can change the curvature of the bottom nib to fit onto a customized feed, and then I should be able to use the Pelikan collar.

We shall see.

http://geekatlaw.com/pens/KeuningCross20090101.JPG

http://geekatlaw.com/pens/KeuningCross20090101b.JPG

EDIT: Tomorrow - I go to the office and get another OS Flattop. Triple decker. I will need to find a section to hold all of that.

Edited by jmkeuning

• 3 weeks later...

great work. Boredom is the father of invention. :thumbup:

A man's real possession is his memory. In nothing else is he rich, in nothing else is he poor.

The last time I saw something like that it was to help me write lines a school two at a time.

"I must not flick ink blots at Sir; for if I am caught, there will be retribution extracted."

Chris

HOLY BALLS MAN

Originally, I thought this was a joke. Really. But you have assassinated my "thought" with "awesome." Or something. Way snazzy!

WTB: Lamy 27 w/ OB/OBB nibs; Pelikan 100 B nib

The last time I saw something like that it was to help me write lines a school two at a time.

"I must not flick ink blots at Sir; for if I am caught, there will be retribution extracted."

Chris

Ours was:

The classroom is a learning situation and I will learn to treat it as such by behaving in a polite and attentive manner.

I would tape four pens together to do it.

HOLY BALLS MAN

Originally, I thought this was a joke. Really. But you have assassinated my "thought" with "awesome." Or something. Way snazzy!

Thanks man. There is more coming. Gotta work some things out, but I have some sweet stuff here.

Hey jmkeuning,

Thanks for posting this frankly amazingly kewl nib you've made, it's beyond words!!! Congrats man, you've done a brilliant job.

Having only just started to mess with nib shaping and modding, this thread is truly and inspiration.

Glad you posted.

Scrybe

What an Oxford tutor does is to get a little group of students together and smoke at them. Men who have been systematically smoked at for four years turn into ripe scholars... A well-smoked man speaks and writes English with a grace that can be acquired in no other way.

You have achieved the Mark of Scrybe's Assistant 1st class. Congratulations :thumbup:

The moment we want to believe something, we suddenly see all the arguments for it, and become blind to the arguments against it.

~ Bernard Shaw.