incoming!

ednerdtheonly

Call me ednerd, or ed. I joined about a week ago, and have posted a couple of times, but haven't gotten to really introduce myself.

I'm a high schooler, and one of a small, growing coterie of fp users at my school. I got started early 2004 when a student friend lent something called a Parker 51.

You can guess what followed. :rolleyes:

Down the slippery slope I slid, and with a few friends got a Pelikan Go M75s. I now have a tiny assembly of fountain pens. At this moment, I have the mentioned Pelikan M75 (retired due to a grip section that detached from the barrel), an unidentified flighter Waterman that says "Qristal" on the grip section, a fat Sheaffer Touchdown two tone feathetouch 5 (my favorite pen for now), and a Sheaffer Snorkel with a M4 Palladium Silver nib. I have all of them inked with blue, black, and mixes of the two. Expect this assembly to eventually grow, albeit slowly, since my fountain pen funds are nonexistent; I make up for it by reading, and now know a teensy bit thanks to websites, especially those of penhero, Richard Binder, and Nathan Tardiff.

Outside of fountain pens, my interests are varied. I love Milton and Phillip Pullman, along with Steinbeck. I try not to let school get in the way of my learning. My fortes are English, math and chemistry. I practice fine art, and know more about art materials than could possibly be healthy for a seventeen year old, much less anyone. I can identify just about any pigment by sight, and can cite its chemical composition and working properties. I could go on and on about brushes and the virtues of kolinsky sable hairs, but then I'd have to do justice to watercolor paper, and by the end you'd be glossy -eyed. I play competitive tennis too, and use an old school, hefty, carbon fiber Dunlop 200g racquet. The joys of quality design has been largely lost to marketing hype (hyper carbon this, intelli-fiber that, the names get humurous). Most new racquets are very light, contributing to the horrific increase in tennis elbow over the past decade. I guess many things just aren't made like they used to be.

It's funny that both tennis racquets and art materials have their respective "Mont Blanc" and "Sheaffers" companies, the hyped versus the workhorses. I guess they come in every business!

Ah! Sorry for cudgeling you all with my ramblings. Thanks for reading this far. Hopefully with my background I'll have some things to contribute to this forum. I'm glad to join this fountain pen community, and am sure that there will be much for me to learn from it.

"I had not the time to write a short one."

-Blaise Pascal

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ednerdtheonly

• Daniel Shih

• Keith with a capital K

• KendallJ

Hey there!! Glad to meet ya!!! I am glad that there are people your age who are taking interest in the fine arts, sciences and yes, fountain pens. You have seemed to have built a nice collection so far. Welcome aboard!! There are a nice bunch of people here and a wealth of information!!! And again, welcome!!

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

Hey,

Looking at your interests I see you like maths - don't you find that higher maths just calls out for a fountain pen? Something as simple as a large integral sign, or the small greek superscripts and subscripts. They are just so easy to do when you can vary the line thickness with just a slight change in pressure.

Do you play any musical instruments?

Edited by Stompy

Whenever I see or hear "incoming" my first thought is that I should be taking cover... perhaps I've been playing a little too much Ghost Recon. :lol:

Let me officially welcome you to FPN and as I always say, this is a place where the pens are plentiful and the ink flows freely.

In reading your quick bio I realize that I wasn't the only 17 year old with a burning interest in the arts and science although math was not my forte in those long past days.

While my friends were out cruising I was usually at home working in my little studio and listening to Jazz and Blues... in thinking on that, this is what I do now too.

I look forward to seeing more posts from your fine self.

Cheers!

Please visit http://members.shaw.ca/feynn/

Please direct repair inquiries to capitalpen@shaw.ca

Welcome!

FP users at your high school huh? How many in that cadre. I don't think I ever saw one at my high school?

Tell them about FPNet will ya!

How fat is your Sheaffer Touchdown? Got any pics. Triumph Touchdown is on my vintage list.

http://pagesperso.laposte.net/fpnet/1p3p1F...p?showtopic=310

Kendall -

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

Guest Denis Richard

Hi Mr. Theonly,

if that relates to the nerd part, don't flatter yourself... there are many of us here :lol:

You like Math, Chemistry and FPs ? That's a sign that you are a good guy ! Now, add Physics to that, and you'll be perfect :D

Welcome to FPN !

Denis.

"Looking at your interests I see you like maths - don't you find that higher maths just calls out for a fountain pen? Something as simple as a large integral sign, or the small greek superscripts and subscripts. They are just so easy to do when you can vary the line thickness with just a slight change in pressure.

Do you play any musical instruments?"

I'm still looking for a cheap, smooth, no frills flex nibbed pen; all mine are fairly rigid, so I haven't fully utilized fp's for math!

I've played percussion and piano for many years.

"How fat is your Sheaffer Touchdown?"

I think that it's simply an early non TM model. It's nothing in particular, just a common two tone nibbed black barrel pen.

I'll see you all in other threads!

-Blaise Pascal

Hey Edward,

Good to see you on the boards. Hope you're enjoying your fountain pens and California!

That is, if you're the Ed I knew in Illinois...

Dan, the (possible) infector :)

Edited by Daniel Shih

Hi Dan!

I signed up once apps were all out. I seems like you did too.

I hope the the weather's not too bad, and that things are going well. Congrats on Stanford!

Ednerdtheonly

-Blaise Pascal

Thanks, Ed. Boy, word travels fast--all the way to California! Are you still going to to go to Berkeley?

Hi Denis, I was, as Ed said, accepted to Stanford. I haven't decided if I'm going there quite yet; I'd like to also visit the East Coast and consider my options there as well. That said, Stanford is certainly a pretty cool school in beautiful, warm California. There is also, of course, the added perk of being neighbors!

Edited by Daniel Shih

I've yet to hear back from my schools. Though Berkeley would be great to go to, and I've applied to Stanford through regular admission, I'm really thinking about CalTech and MIT. Any of these would be fantastic.

"beautiful, warm California"? Hell yes! It's about 75 outside and sunny. The vegetation here is spoiled.

-Blaise Pascal