The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Conway Stewart 380

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ToasterPastry

ToasterPastry

Uncrowned King of Finchley

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 00:29

Conway-Stewart 380

Color: Marbled Green. Other colors produced include cracked ice, gold and red marble (autumn leaves), marbled burgundy with black veins, black, blue rock, and reversed-cracked ice.

Date of Production: 1935-1942.

Fill mechanism: Lever-fill with rubber sac.

Dimensions: Length: 12.4cm closed; cap 5.6 cm; posted 14.8 cm; 9.6 cm barrel without nib+section: 9.9cm. Width: cap 1 cm; barrel 0.8 cm.

Features: Peaked black top & bottom (chased black hard rubber), gold-filled diamond clip, 2 bands, nib CS 5N (14 karat gold with iridium).

Material: Resin with chased black hard rubber caps.

Marketing: Ladies companion pen to the CS 388.

Comparison size: The CS 380 is a thin pen. As shown in the figures below, when compared with the Sheaffer No-Nosense and the Pilot Vanishing Point, the pen when posted is relatively long, but smaller when capped.

Writing sample: In the photograph below, the CS 380 with the "5" nib has plenty of flex. I put a lot of pressure on the nib in this case. Fortunately, it's no wet-noodle. This means, it serves well in daily writing allowing me to write quickly for my daily charting, but with a bit of extra flair when I want to show off.

Final impressions: Despite my excitement in acquiring the pen, I'll try to remain objective in its assessment. Overall, I tend to favor the bigger pens. But this is about as perfect a pen as one can get. Sturdy construction with gold accents and an extremely smooth gold nib allows for flourishes of extra flex when needed. I'm definitely on the hunt for this nib in a larger pen.

Source

Posted Image

Follow me on Twitter!
Read my silly blog!

Sponsored Content

#2 Peter from Sherwood Park

Peter from Sherwood Park

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 00:49

Thank you for this review -- it looks like you have a great pen.

#3 Idiopathos

Idiopathos

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 02:22

Like your photo of HM.

It's funny because it's true.

#4 Sharkle

Sharkle

BPillar

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 07:31

Great review. I've been checking ebay for vintage CS pens myself. You got a great pen there, and I hope I get as lucky. As I usually prefer silver trim, it's nice to see a color that looks great with gold.

p.s. For some reason I'm craving a pear.

#5 ToasterPastry

ToasterPastry

Uncrowned King of Finchley

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 07:45

That's my studio-pear. I think QM2 photographed a pen + pear. So in my small way, that's my parody (read: tribute) to her. When the pear rots, I've got a papaya that's just waiting to step out.
Posted Image

Follow me on Twitter!
Read my silly blog!

#6 Idiopathos

Idiopathos

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 13:02

QUOTE (Sharkle @ Dec 28 2008, 07:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great review. I've been checking ebay for vintage CS pens myself. You got a great pen there, and I hope I get as lucky. As I usually prefer silver trim, it's nice to see a color that looks great with gold.

p.s. For some reason I'm craving a pear.

There are some reliable sources of Conway Stewarts here in England. PM me if you want addresses.

Sponsored Content

|