Dollar demonstrators!

Donald594

Great review!!! I use these all the time (am in Pakistan). They cost like half a dollar here, so I bought a whole box of them for office/car etc use as disposables where I don't want to use any of the more expensive pens. I keep them filled with different colours, and the transparent plastic allows me to easily see what colour ink is in it.

These are student pens. They were not the originals, there was another brand called Eagle (which I remember using in school), and they were available in solid colours.

The nibs are a bit of a hit and miss, some are very smooth and other scratchy, some very fine and others more medium. But they are basically disposable so if there are any problems I just toss that piece out and replace with another from the box!!!

Dollar also makes ink in Black, Blue, Red and Green.

The other Pakistani pens are the DUX brand...these are basically Parker 21 types, but a lot flimsier and lighter in weight. They are also in the same price range.

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Inka

• lovemy51

• Donald594

• Floreat

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great review!!! I use these all the time (am in Pakistan). They cost like half a dollar here, so I bought a whole box of them for office/car etc use as disposables where I don't want to use any of the more expensive pens. I keep them filled with different colours, and the transparent plastic allows me to easily see what colour ink is in it.

These are student pens. They were not the originals, there was another brand called Eagle (which I remember using in school), and they were available in solid colours.

The nibs are a bit of a hit and miss, some are very smooth and other scratchy, some very fine and others more medium. But they are basically disposable so if there are any problems I just toss that piece out and replace with another from the box!!!

Dollar also makes ink in Black, Blue, Red and Green.

The other Pakistani pens are the DUX brand...these are basically Parker 21 types, but a lot flimsier and lighter in weight. They are also in the same price range.

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all...

I have 2 Dollars myself. Smooth writers.

From what I see, I should be able to completely disassemble the pen by screwing out the piston and pulling out the nib. But I have had no luck in screwing out the piston yet. Am I doing anything wrong?

• 1 month later...

Nib (8/10)

The ONLY reason I did not give this pen a 10 out of 10 for the nib was the fact I had to adjust it. When I inked it, the pen was drier than a bone, and scratchier then a chicken's talon. I immediately got the razor blade and went to work. 5 minutes later, and I had an ultra wet, ultra buttery smooth fountain pen. So if you get a dud, a razor blade will become your best friend

How do you do this? If it is posted somewhere else, can you reply with a link? Thanks,

Nib (8/10)

The ONLY reason I did not give this pen a 10 out of 10 for the nib was the fact I had to adjust it. When I inked it, the pen was drier than a bone, and scratchier then a chicken's talon. I immediately got the razor blade and went to work. 5 minutes later, and I had an ultra wet, ultra buttery smooth fountain pen. So if you get a dud, a razor blade will become your best friend

How do you do this? If it is posted somewhere else, can you reply with a link? Thanks,

Sorry, it was answered already. Should have completed the thread.

Pictures?

Anybody have any of their own pictures of these pens, not copy/pasted or Linked from?

Would love to "see" more.

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

Pictures?

Anybody have any of their own pictures of these pens, not copy/pasted or Linked from?

Ill try to take some pictures. I will post them here later.

Pictures?

Well, here's one:

http://www.hisnibs.com/images/Indian/Dollar/DollarDemonstratorGroup.jpg

If you don't mind following a link, there are quite a few more (as well as a video) on my website here. ;)

Regards,

Norman Haase

His Nibs.com

www.hisnibs.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HisNibs1

Great review and subsequent discussion. I'm ordering one today. Thanks everyone.

JLT (J. L. Trasancos, Barneveld, NY)

"People with courage and character always seem sinister to the rest."

Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962)

I received my Dollar pen in the mail yesterday, filled it this morning and I'm very happy with it. Initially, I thought I might have to work on the feed (a little on the dry side at first) but once the pen started, it's been just fine. It's a smooth writer and lays down a medium-fine line.

Tough to beat for $10.

JLT (J. L. Trasancos, Barneveld, NY)

"People with courage and character always seem sinister to the rest."

Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962)

Great review, thanks!

I especially like the pictures and the video Link.

Now I'd really like one or more of these myself, as demonstrators are typically way out of my price range.

Less than $.50 each in Pakistan? Wow, I'd buy a case of them at those prices but even $10 here in the U.S., especially for a working " piston demonstrator" seems like a real bargain .

I tightened the cap top onto the blind cap and cannot separate them. Any ideas? ...
Don't feel badly, as I for one learn from any mistakes I've made [& I've made my share] and this really shouldn't be a "biggy".

Did you try running the cap under warm/hot water, to expand the cap some, then making sure your fingers and the pen is dry then trying to remove it again?

If that doesn't work you can try tapping the cap top *squarely [*meaning at top radius of the cap end] on a hard surface, like a counter top [gentle taps, don't slam it down]?

Or try to tap it with the underside of a metal spoon to "set" the plastic threads and hopefully it will then be loose enough to remove.

Just be sure not to tap too hard, as in this like many cases less is actually more, as being plastic you could easily crack it or damage the pen.

Just a thought, from an old mechanic/mechanical engineer, that might just do the trick if done correctly.

I hope this helps. Please post back either way, as if it doesn't work I may be able to think of something else to try.

If you have any silicone grease you can lightly lube the cap threads and barrel end threads, that is once you get it off [once again, less is more so use silicone grease sparingly].

If you don't have any, silicone grease is usually easy to find in hardware stores or can be purchased online from many sources including photographic/camera supply and watch repair Sites.

It's used for many things, including faucet o-rings, underwater camera housings, watch gaskets, dielectric waterproofing grease for automotive and other electrical connectors,... and so on.

I use silicone grease to re-lube watch gaskets and seals, as well as on my fountain pen threads and gaskets to make them easier to remove and extends the usable life of the threads.

I know that Home Depot and other hardware stores sell a 1/2oz puck of Danco Plumbers' Silicone Grease for under $3, pure enough for food grade applications.

A 1/2oz container will last for hundreds if not thousands of applications, as long as you just use a very thin film on threads and/or gaskets.

Edited by Inka

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

Here are my pictures. Excuse the quality im not good photograph.

These photos actually look better than any pen photos I've managed to take so far! Just curious as to what color ink that is in there? I have two of these pens: a blue one loaded up with Waterman Florida Blue which works 100% great and a black one currently inked with Waterman South Seas Blue which ways down a line too wet for my tastes. The Florida blue makes it look like a medium or even fine nib, the South Seas looks like a medium or even slightly larger because of how wet the line is.

Both of these pens had issues with the only bottled green ink I have - Diamine Woodland Green. However with these Waterman inks, they write every bit as nice as my Pelikan M205 with an M nib.

The only minor downside I have found: if you don't use them for a couple days they tend to have a bit of trouble starting but are some of the smoothest writers I've experienced once they get going. Solution: use the pens every day!!! :)

-Hello, my name is Kenny and I'm a fountain pen addict with a taste for Lamy and Esterbrook.

Hey, the prices shot up 50% since I first saw this thread.

What's up with that?

They were just $10 last week and now they're listed at $15.

I almost bought a couple but with that much of a price hike in such a short time period I'm going to pass.

Bummer.

Here are my pictures. Excuse the quality im not good photograph.

These photos actually look better than any pen photos I've managed to take so far! Just curious as to what color ink that is in there? ...

The ink is Waterman Blue-Black.

Here sample of writting with this pen and ink.

Edited by JohnDoeX

Hey, the prices shot up 50% since I first saw this thread.

What's up with that?

They were just $10 last week and now they're listed at $15.

I almost bought a couple but with that much of a price hike in such a short time period I'm going to pass.

Bummer.

Swisher Pens carries them at $10.00 plus shipping.

Swisher Pens carries them at $10.00 plus shipping.

Dang, wish I knew that last Friday when I'd put in an order for some more Noodlers' ink!

Now the order has shipped out already so I can't go back and add the Dollar pens to it.

Oh well, if they keep the price down to $10, or better yet have a sale on them for less, maybe I'll go back and buy some.

It would have been cheaper on S&H, obviously, to had just added them to my last order.

Maybe I can call Chuck S. tomorrow and ask him to hold a couple for me, so I don't miss out. Worth a shot.

Thanks for letting me know that Swisher has them; I really do appreciate that information.

:thumbup:

Still makes no sense that the same pens sell overseas for under $1 and the Dollar Site bumped the price in the U.S. up from $10 to $15 almost overnight.

That just seems wrong, totally, almost a scam, once they began getting more hits and sales on them very possibly from those here spreading the word.

Now I feel that the FPN members here should get a 10% above their cost discount, just for spreading the word, free advertising and thus increasing their sales.

That seems only fair.

Received my Dollar 717i in Grey from Swisher Pens.(No affiliation/just a happy customer)

For a $10.00 pen it is quite hard to beat. Filled with Visconti Green / it lays down a very

nice fine to medium line. Soon to become a pen that sees daily use.

I just got my red Dollar demonstrator from badrsj, and for $13 including shipping to Canada, I'm impressed. It holds a ton of ink and the nib on my particular example is silky smooth.

I'd kind of like to see the blind cap and filler knob combined, though at the same time it means I won't get ink all over the place by fiddling with it.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

Is Hisnibs.com the only place to buy it online?

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/Aurora%20Talentum/IMG_3779.jpg