The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Namiki Sterling Dragon

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Pippin60

Pippin60

Still tilting at windmills

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 03:47

Ok this is my first attempt at what I'll call a mini review so please be gentle.

I just received this pen from my wife for Christmas

Firstly I'm a little biased and have been drooling over this pen for the past year. I think this pen is absolutely beautiful. (image courtesy of Worldlux) The design of the stylized Japanese dragon is beautiful. The Hawk design would have been my second choice.

I should say I have several Namiki/Pilot pens; 3 VP's and a Falcon.

The weight of the pen is perfect as I like a heavier pen and if it was heavier I would still be happy.

The nib is a simple work of art, with some flex which actually surprised me as it was unexpected . I got it in a medium which for me writes like a fine. The pen came with a screw converter and never having been a fan of Namiki/Pilot converters I decided to use a cartridge. Although I should try their piston converter. Pilot black to start, and after just a moment the nib wrote perfectly the first time. Very smooth to start, and with a perfect flow. I started out testing it on a Rhodia pad which to me I find is unforgiving to a dry, or scratchy nib, regardless of the ink. The more I wrote with it the smoother it seemed to write. I have a few Binderized nibs, and this nib was every bit as smooth with a perfect flow right out of the box. I have to admit this was a pleasant surprise as it seems today even with an "expensive" pen it seems that the odds are 50/50 as to getting the perfect nib.

So in conclusion I am very happy with this pen and would give it a 5/5 for appearance, and give the nib also a 5/5.

This pen will be in my daily rotation and will likely be used for a while until I give it up to another pen in the rotation.

Thanks for your time

fullsize2.jpg fullsize4.jpg

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.
- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

Sponsored Content

#2 Escribiente

Escribiente

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 05:07

I have been intrigued by this pen for a long time. Nice review of what seems to be a wonderful pen.
Two questions: 1. Does it have a snap on cap? 2. Does it use the pump converter? Thank you.

#3 Pippin60

Pippin60

Still tilting at windmills

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 05:54

QUOTE (Escribiente @ Dec 26 2008, 12:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have been intrigued by this pen for a long time. Nice review of what seems to be a wonderful pen.
Two questions: 1. Does it have a snap on cap? 2. Does it use the pump converter? Thank you.

Yes it has a snap on cap which does post quite well. As far as the converter it came with the screw converter, but the paperwork includes instructions for both the screw type converter, and the pump converter. However I don't feel comfortable saying equivocally that it can use the pump converter. I will try I think as I believe I know a few places where I can find one.

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.
- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

#4 Jopen

Jopen

Always learning

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 December 2008 - 09:49

Nice pen and very usable too. Thanks for a perfect mini-report.

Sponsored Content

|