Danitrio Flexi Stub Nib: Writing Samples

QM2

I received my second Danitrio pen yesterday, and this one has a Flexi Stub nib.

My impression from having read about flexible stubs, was that they somewhat defeated the purpose of line variation: The

flex and italic properties cancel each other out. However, in practice -- at least with this nib -- that is not the case. When

using the nib as a flex, it naturally rotates in such a way, that on the downstroke the wide part of the nib touches the paper

as the tines spread, and on the upstroke the thin edge of the nib touches the paper as the tines stay together. The line

variation is enhanced, rather than negated, by the stub shape.

http://queenmargot.com/danitrio_flexistub2.jpg

Despite its ability to achieve quite a lot of flex and line variation, it is entirely possible to write with this nib without

activating flex. Without pressing down intentionally, the nib writes like a smooth .6mm-.7mm stub.

http://queenmargot.com/danitrio_flexistub1.jpg

The two scans above were made to scale. The writing is on Clairefontaine 5x5 grid note paper, and the pen is filled with

Noodler's Antietam.

As you can see there is quite a difference between the writing this nib produces in its "tame mode" and what it is capable of

once pressure is intentionally applied! I must say that this is the most interesting modern nib I have tried thus far.

Edited by QM2

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• QM2

• Jopen

• Leigh R

• FrankB

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks, QM2! I might have to pick this nib for my next Dani. Merry Christmas!

Regards,

Soki

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/Fuchsiaprincess_0001.jpg http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/036/2/2/Narnia_Flag_by_Narnia14.gif

Thanks for the comments! And MDI, you can try the nib, I was only joking before (or was I?...).

I am afraid that my ability to use flex is rather limited and does not fully show off what this nib is capable of. I would love

to see what sort of writing it can produce in the hands of someone like Leigh R.

In response to some back-channel questions:

Having tried and owned a number of vintage flex nibs, I would say that this one comes very close to a full flex, not just

semi-flex or soft. It is more flexible than the Flexi EF on my first Danitrio. Don't know whether I jut got lucky with this

specific nib, or whether all the flexi stubs are like this. Maybe Kevin can comment on that.

Oh yes, and here is the pen to whom the nib belongs : )

http://queenmargot.com/danitrio_maewest6.jpg

Edited by QM2

... and this is the "small" nib...

Imagine a "big" stub nib, as used on Mikado... I do not like to use stubs as a daily basis, but I keep mine just for those occasions in which it is needed, and it is really a pleasure to use...

Congratulations for yours (nib and beautiful Urushi sample)

BTW... Leigh is from another calligraphic planet !!! ... :cloud9:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3448/3377063898_1eaf38aeda_o.jpg

The Danitrio Fellowship

What a gorgeous, gorgeous pen! Tomato, yum. :) I have a Danitrio flexi stub sample somewhere...

Oh, please post if you find it!

It's hard to see in that sun-drenched photo, but the pen has a Hana-nuri "distressed" finish to it, where it looks like the red is scuffed around the edges to reveal a layer of black beneath. I have photos that show this off better and will post a review soon.

Edited by QM2

What a gorgeous, gorgeous pen! Tomato, yum. :) I have a Danitrio flexi stub sample somewhere...

Oh yes please, please, please... post it (find and post it) Pleaseeee... por favoooor....

Well.. err.. if you like it more, I'll ask you this way...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3292/3139126082_f597bb8b14_o.jpg

:yikes:

Edited by Jopen

The Danitrio Fellowship

Thanks for the post. I think the shading with the Antietam is striking.

I have regular stub nibs on three of my Dani FP's and I have been very happy with them. I had thought the flex and stub aspects of the Dani nibs cancelled each other out, so I have not tried one. Based on the information here, I will have to try a Flex stub! :bunny01:

QM2, what size is your pen? Densho, Takumi? And is that a Mae West design?! I covet a Mae West Dani. Where ever did you find it? :crybaby:

Leigh, that is very beautiful -- thank you! What I like about your handwriting is that the letters are angular rather than rounded; this creates a crisp elegance that appeals to me very much.

FrankB: My pen is the Mae Westin the photo above. It is the same length as the Takumi, but seems a lot larger because of the undulating form! The pen was purchased here. Kevin found a Flexi Stub to replace the original M nib the pen came with.

Edited by QM2

Jopen - that ink is lovely, what is it?

Thanks Leigh... I always enjoy your writing... and I'm not the only one! :thumbup:

The ink is Sailor Jentle brown on a Mikado stub...

Jose

The Danitrio Fellowship

The ink is Sailor Jentle brown on a Mikado stub...

I did not know that Sailor Jentle brown was so reddish/ coppery. What a nice colour!

Looking at Leigh's comparison sample here, I have to say that my flexi stub produces a narrower line. On Leigh's sample, it is wider than the Stipula 1.1mm stub and the Bexley stub (which is 1.3mm). I also own the Stipula and Bexley stubs, and the one on my Danitrio is definitely narrower. I would say mine is a .8mm at most.

Edited by QM2

In case, below was written with a Danitrio stiff stub nib (it is what I wrote for new year yesterday~).

Thank you for the reference sample of the stiff stub.

I would like to get one of those as well some day!

QM2

Thanks for the writing samples guys and glas. While I personally can use stiff stub, the flexy stub is completely waste for me as I can't make good use of the extra flex, ie. putting pressure at the wrong spot!

glad you like the pen and wishing you all a happy 2009!

Best,

Kevin

To Cross The Rubicon

Internet Pens

Three cheers for flexible stubs! I'm surprised how many folks think that:

My impression from having read about flexible stubs, was that they somewhat defeated the purpose of line variation: The

flex and italic properties cancel each other out.

I even saw a post on Richard Binder's blog along those lines, though talking about flexible obliques (vintage obliques = oblique stub). It had never occurred to me that an oblique or stub wouldn't or shouldn't be flexible, and most of the vintage stubs I've had were flexy to some extent.

The stub down stroke is wide; add flex and it gets even wider- you can do some fun stuff with a nib like that. It's easier for me to control a flexy vintage oblique than to control a flexy stub, at least while holding the stub with the proper orientation (- | are the same, / \ are thin and fat).

Thanks for the great review!

WTB: Lamy 27 w/ OB/OBB nibs; Pelikan 100 B nib