JINHAO "BIG RED"

FP Writing

JINHAO LACQUER RED

First Impression:

The pen came in a small paper box. Opening the box cover reveal a big bright re fountain pen. It is the "most red" FP i have so far. The vivid color makes it looks larger for a very large pen. (7/10)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_aI7xyj3f0l4/SVNiOPkTWSI/AAAAAAAACXM/Rjmftzhp3JM/s320/Big%20red%20Jin%20Hao.jpg

Appearance/Finish

The pen is painted in bright red lacquer. Well finished but the lacquer is not thickly coated. The coating is uniformly applied so overall its appearance is appealing. (7/10 )

Design/Size and weight

Large pen size of MB 149. It is well balanced thought it is more on the heavy size. The pen is of good weight if not posted. I use pen posted, so with posting it is still well balanced (8/10)

Nib Design:

Medium. It did not perform well out of box, rough and did not has consistent line. I taeaked it a bit and put it across a Micromesh (3M), now it has good ink flow and good smoothness. It took me an hour + to have it fixed, so i am happy with it. The nib is large size steel. A very little "give". So it is hard like nail, thought it is not a soft nib as well. Good for daily general writing, esp, if there is a need to do quick notes and scribbling. (7/10)

Filling System

Converter filling; i like converters so no complaints.

Cost/Value

it cost $10 and shipement is $8

so i think it is quite a reasonable FP.

Overall Opinion:

I am always out hunting for low cost FP that writes well, and several chinese pen brands are on the list. Jinhao is in my opinion average rated overall (6/10), may not be better than Duke, but is a brand that may improves further with time.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_aI7xyj3f0l4/SVNh5t_KuAI/AAAAAAAACXE/1NdTNv46F1w/s400/Jinhao%20wrt%20sample.JPG

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FP Writing

• adallak

• Titivillus

• sph33r

Thank you for the detailed review and pictures. It is Jinhao 450 series. Is not the cap terribly difficult to remove?

“Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down.” Jimmy Durante quotes (American Comedian, Pianist and Singer, 1893-1980)

Hi

thanks for letting me know;

the cap is snap on. Tight "click", but not terribly difficult to uncap.

It is posted tightly.

Only the clip is too tight that it is not quite useful on pockets

Yes, the pocket clip is very stiff on mine too, but the major annoyance is the removal of the cap. Enjoy your new shiny Jinhao pen! They are built like tanks.

“Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down.” Jimmy Durante quotes (American Comedian, Pianist and Singer, 1893-1980)

Hmmm.. I just bought the same pen but under the Huashilai name. I guess they're the same company? Haven't tried mine yet but your review sounds good. I did scribble a bit on paper with the dry nib and found that mine was also not quite smooth, perhaps I'll have to take a look at it under the loupe.

- Brad -

Hmmm.. I just bought the same pen but under the Huashilai name. I guess they're the same company? Haven't tried mine yet but your review sounds good. I did scribble a bit on paper with the dry nib and found that mine was also not quite smooth, perhaps I'll have to take a look at it under the loupe.

Yes, my one was dry and a bit rough.

So i tweaked it a little to spread the tine, and run it across a micro-mesh.

Now it writes like a 14kt nib

best luck with your pen

good review thanks for sharing

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 5 months later...

Today I have received 2 Jinhao X450 (metal gold color one and dark red with black lacquer). Both write out of box, with good flow, wet and very smooth. $16 for all include shipping.

I've got a couple of these myself (one white and one grey and black marbled, both finished in gold trim) and like them a lot. As hyptul says, they have very nice nibs for such a cheap pen: smooth and wet.

Edited by dogpoet