Pelikan Gold Nibs vs Bexley Gold Nibs

rollerboy

I'm familiar with Pelikan M400 and M600 14K nibs in fine. How does an 18K Bexley fine compare? I'm interested of course in the line width, but also "feel" such as softness, spring, rigidity what have you. Do they feel the same, or do they have different "personalities"?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Deirdre

• Sallent

• Lloyd

• OldGriz

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Main difference is that the Pelikan nibs write perfectly smooth with a slight flex (or softness) each and every time.

Bexleys write like junk.

Main difference is that the Pelikan nibs write perfectly smooth with a slight flex (or softness) each and every time.

Bexleys write like junk.

I have had similar experiences. The Pelikan nibs I've tried are great. I wouldn't consider them to have slight flex though.

I got a Bexley nib on my Edison Herald. It was skippy and just a bad writer. I let it soak in some slightly soapy water and now its a good writer.

I can't really compare line widths as I have a Medium Bexley and a Fine Pelikan.

For size differences in the nibs, check out this link:

http://www.nibs.com/TippingSizespage.htm

My experience with Bexley nibs has been the exact opposite of the others: every one I've tried (and that's been quite a few) has been a wonderful writer right out of the box. Their fines are a bit wide for my personal taste, but the line width is detailed in the above link. Both Pelikan and Bexley nibs are very good nibs, imho/ime (and, iirc, both are now made in the same plant by Bock).

Note: If you're talking about the nib on a Pelikan M1000, that's a different bird as it behaves differently from any other Pelikan nib I've tried (the best Pelikan nib, imho).

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Bexleys write like junk.

Funny, every Pelikan nib I've had M and above had a baby-bottom problem. The Bexley nibs I've tried were reliable, started up first time every time, and were just as smooth as any other Bock nib.

I have 4 Bexleys. Two fine and 2 medium. They all wite like a dream.

I've had two Pelikans - both wrote poorly.

Funny - how perceptions and experiences differ so. I have to admit that one of the Bexleys wrote poorly at first, but I sent it to Bexley. It returned home within a week and has been a dream writer ever since.

<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 --><a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.musingcrowdesigns.com'>Musing Crow Designs

Pelikan nibs are excellent. Keep in mind that Pelikan nibs are interchangeable and it only takes 4 seconds to remove the nib and another 3 seconds to put another nib on the pen. It's so easy to change nibs that anyone can do it. That is a big plus :thumbup:

Plus Pelikan offers oblique, italic, and other types of nibs that all pen makers used to offer in the past, so you don't have to limit yourself to a borring medium nib like most other pens today come with.

Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.

Bexley nibs are just as interchangeable as Pelikan nibs, there's just fewer stock options and sizes.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Bexleys write like junk.

One person's opinion... not the opinion of most Bexley users.....

All my Bexley pens have written well from the first day I got them... steel and gold nibs...

Edited by OldGriz

Bexley nibs are just as interchangeable as Pelikan nibs, there's just fewer stock options and sizes.

Well, I like having many different nibs to choose from.

Another huge bonus is how easy Pelikan nibs are to customize and add flex and other features. The sky is the limit with what you can do with Pelikan nibs.

Visit Richard Binder's website and the different customomized and standard selections of Pelikan nibs will blow your mind away! So many to try, so little time. :lol:

Edited by Dr Ozzie

Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.

Another huge bonus is how easy Pelikan nibs are to customize and add flex and other features. The sky is the limit with what you can do with Pelikan nibs.

I don't think one nib is easier to modify than the other. However, Binder stocks pre-modded Pel nibs which speeds up the process of getting a modified nib.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Pelikan nibs write perfectly smooth with a slight flex (or softness) each and every time.

I'll give you smooth, but flex? The Pelikans that I've tried (like most modern pens, maybe Ancora excepted) are absolute nails. Not syaing that's a bad thing for most users, but there is certainly no flex at all. Pick up a Wahl Gold Seal "flexible" or "signature" to feel "some flex" and go to vintage dip pens to see what "flex" really is.

Dave

I don't think one nib is easier to modify than the other.

Yeah, that seemed a non-starter to me, too.

Liking a pen is one reason, but liking it for a reason that isn't an advantage seems silly.

I have three Bexley nibs (two fine, one stub) and all write well. I have two Pelikan nibs (though I've owned a lot more Pelikans). My 600-series fine point writes dry. My 1000-series fine point writes well.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Bexleys write like junk.

One person's opinion... not the opinion of most Bexley users.....

All my Bexley pens have written well from the first day I got them... steel and gold nibs...

I'll echo Old Griz's sentiments. I own 28 Bexleys with all four of their nib sizes and all have written perfectly right out of the box; they continue to be exceptional writers today. I also own a couple of Pelikans and there's nothing wrong with their nibs, but I do prefer the Bexley 18k gold nibs. In fact, the 18k gold Bexley nib is my "gold standard" for nibs and is the one I judge all other gold nibs against; I have yet to find a gold nib that writes better than any of my Bexley gold nibs. Generally, I don't like fine nibs, but my Bexley fines are a joy to write with. My "go to" nib is the Bexley gold medium, of which I have 14, but I also enjoy the Bexley broad and factory stub and the fine of course.

Bryan

"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes." Winston S. Churchill

I'll echo Old Griz's sentiments. I own 28 Bexleys with all four of their nib sizes and all have written perfectly right out of the box; they continue to be exceptional writers today. I also own a couple of Pelikans and there's nothing wrong with their nibs, but I do prefer the Bexley 18k gold nibs.

I don't have a strong preference for either -- they've all written well so far.

That said, I'm really impressed by the size of the feed on my Lighthouse -- I think it'll store ten pages' worth of writing before the nib finally runs dry.

deirdre.net

I've a preference for the Pelikan nibs but might be having owned more of them than the Bexleys. The Bexley seemed stiffer than a similar Pelikan but YMMV

Kurt