Ackerman Pens

davidspitzer

Or he should label his pens "Available for March delivery" on his website to allow him time to catch up.

Needless to say, I will stay away.

Thanks,

Mike

Edited by mikey

inka binka

bottle of ink

the cork fell out

and you stink

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davidspitzer

• jmkeuning

• MrGranger

• SteveBurke

I'm still waiting too. Answers to emails, but not much more.

Did you get your pen by now? I saw one on ebay and realized that I could use my dip pen nibs in the pen. That's a wonderful benefit for me so I ordered a pen and some tips. I got an email saying that I'd get shipping confirmation later that day. A week has gone by and I haven't gotten that yet. I'd be less worried if he said it takes me time to fill and give an ETA. Saying it's in the mail and it never arrives isn't great business practices.

I am hoping my pens (I ordered an extra from the website for larger nibs) arrive tomorrow.

I'm still waiting too. Answers to emails, but not much more.

Did you get your pen by now? I saw one on ebay and realized that I could use my dip pen nibs in the pen. That's a wonderful benefit for me so I ordered a pen and some tips. I got an email saying that I'd get shipping confirmation later that day. A week has gone by and I haven't gotten that yet. I'd be less worried if he said it takes me time to fill and give an ETA. Saying it's in the mail and it never arrives isn't great business practices.

I am hoping my pens (I ordered an extra from the website for larger nibs) arrive tomorrow.

I've recently ordered from him and received my merchandise so I wouldn't worry too much. The fulfillment process is kinda slow and low tech but I sent an e-mail about order status and he got right back to me.

Steve Burke

www.burkestudios.com

that's good to know. I ordered mine last November. Maybe I should try again.

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

I ordered mine last month and got it in about a week. Did you order a more obscure nib?

My Gillott 303 loaded Ackerman came quickly.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

I ordered mine last month and got it in about a week. Did you order a more obscure nib?

Actually I ordered the Gillott 303 pen as well, but then put in a second order for the Manga G tip, Large pen and a Hunt 100 tip. Maybe the Manga G is what's taking my order so long?

I own 4 of them.

2 are brush pens. I love them. I've not really had a problem getting new brushes and resovoirs from him. The original order showed up in about 2 weeks. They are the best watercolor waterbrushes I've ever used. They give you wonderful control of the paint uptake.

The Manga nib pen is one of my faves. I bought it on Ebay directly from him. I also bought extra nibs from him. Since then, I've acquired my own source for them.

The Gillot nib one I like OK, it's nice for lettering on drawings. It did take him something like 6 weeks to get that one to me.

I got a better response by leaving a phone message than by email.

Edited by GladWriter

Gladwriter

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i175/Gladtobemom/Pens/SailorEFDemonstrator-1.jpg

Actually I ordered the Gillott 303 pen as well, but then put in a second order for the Manga G tip, Large pen and a Hunt 100 tip. Maybe the Manga G is what's taking my order so long?

I got the 303 today, it looks great. I finally got the middle disconnected so I can fill it. I'm very impressed so far with the design. If it works well I might order a few to have ready. I'd rather have spares and not need them than to fall in love and it breaks.

Edited by MrGranger

thank you, folks. i was just about to order some pens from him.

"People build themselves a furnace when all they need is a lamp." Maulana Jalaludin Balkhi (Rumi)

At least with me, the Ackerman pen took a little time to get accustomed to.

I have a Hunt 101 nib on my pen and just replaced it and it works much better now then with the original nib (Also a Hunt 101). There is a plastic feeder unit that connects on the underside of the nib and this and the nib both slide into the top of the pen. If I am not careful about positioning, the feeder unit will force the tines of the nib apart which makes the pen very unreliable. If I slide the feeder unit farther into the pen then the nib (So the nib isn't pushed in quite as far as it can go) then the tines of the nib rest together and the end result is that the pen works much better and it takes very little effort to keep the ink flowing well.

Sorry, that's not all that easy to explain but it may be helpful to someone having trouble with the pen. I may try one of the brush tips as a waterpen. That sounds like a fun idea.

Steve Burke

www.burkestudios.com

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently ordered from him and received my merchandise so I wouldn't worry too much. The fulfillment process is kinda slow and low tech but I sent an e-mail about order status and he got right back to me.

I got the 101 Hunt nib and pen. I didn't get the Manga G and pen though so I got 1/2 the order. Due to PAYPAL rules I've got to start a dispute or pray Ackerman finally sends the other pen. I absolutely love the pen I got and want the Manga AND to order more. I just wish there was some sort of real ETA. He could easily put on his order form the amount of stock he has and only accept orders for that. Even for a wonderful pen like this I cannot way forever...actually less than 45 days or PAYPAL won't help.

Shawn

• 3 years later...

I just received my Gillott 303 Ackerman single pump pen. Arrived within two weeks of ordering it online.

I have two questions - maybe someone could be kind enough to sort them out for me:

(1) how do you fill it, and

(2) what ink do you recommend for it? Can I use fountain pen ink, or is Higgins Eternal better?

I wish Ackerman sent instructions with the pen. Somewhere I saw that the reservoir could be removed to fill the pen, but for the life of me I have no idea how to do that.

Well thanks in advance for any help you might have for me. B)

Edited by JazzDoc

Mark Polis, MD

"A flourishing style of chirography is nowhere less in place than on a physician's prescription."___1856, Edward Parrish, An Introduction to Practical Pharmacy

• 2 weeks later...

HI JazzDoc

the pump pen can be filled by pressing the button fitted at the end of the barrel but it is more efficient to pull off the nib and feeder with the section and add ink with an eye dropper.As soon as you flush the pen and nib after use you can use any ink,I use indian ink ,acrylic ink,sumi ink and never had any trouble,as you can dismantle the pen totally clogging is not a concern,however if ink dries between the barrel and the cap,opening the pen may be an issue but a good water soaking can solve it.I hope it will help.

regards

Although I don't have one of his pens (maybe in the future), it would be a wonderful gift to all of the people considering purchasing one for someone to do a video and post it.

You might want to contact him and get his permission and/or participation and support. Perhaps he might even compensate you in some way.

It seems to me that this person has a good basic product. The negative experiences that people have related here focus, from what I have seen, on his lack of communications, long lead time with no or very limited response to queries.

As I understand it, he is working another job as his primary focus and these pens are simply a sideline.

He may encounter some new competition though in the form of Nathan Tardiff, of Noodler fame (and fortune). Nathan recently posted a video showing how to use his "base" units and fit them with dip pen nibs. He did that for some people at the New England/Boston Pen Show. It looks pretty straightforward in the "his video".

If people continue to have uncertainty about ordering from Ackerman, they (we) make take the initiative and explore the "Noodler Dipper" alternative.

What Ackerman appears to be confronting is an entrepreneurial conundrum are the pens he creates a business or a hobby? If it's a business, treat it like a business. If it's a hobby, let people, aka customers, know it's a hobby so they can adjust their expectations.

I do wish him well as what he has created is obviously something that people want and are will to pay and w-a-i-t for.

Edited by brgmarketing

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”