Lamy Studio EF Blue

officesupplygeek

I have a Safari with XF nib. The previous XF nib I had wrote like a medium. So the store owner switched me a XF, but it is very very toothy albeit very very fine.

The width of the lines from your sample looks like a fine and not an XF.

I do not know if it is the case that the Lamy XF nibs are inconsistent. Do people experience the same thing?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• officesupplygeek

• tonyted

• bphollin

• wolf4

I have a Safari with XF nib. The previous XF nib I had wrote like a medium. So the store owner switched me a XF, but it is very very toothy albeit very very fine.

The width of the lines from your sample looks like a fine and not an XF.

I do not know if it is the case that the Lamy XF nibs are inconsistent. Do people experience the same thing?

Interesting...unfortunately I do not have anything to compare it to. All I can say is that the nib definately says "EF" as you can see in the pictures.

So far, so good with the PR. I also use PR Ultra Black Fast Dry (my primary note-taking ink at work) and PR Naples Blue (just because). On my Black & Red notebook at work, the Ultra Black works great and dries fast. The Chocolat and Naples Blue dry too slowly on that paper, but work very well on a variety of other papers, including my Levenger note cards.

Good to know regarding the fast dry, I was curious about that one because I, like you would be using it for note taking at work.

The blue of the Studio is so pretty that I've considered getting one. Alas, there always seems to be a pen ahead in line.

It really is a nice looking blue, that is one of the first things that drew me to it, you wont regret it when you break down and get it. :)

Excellent review. I have the same pen and your captured my thoughts.

The only observation I would add is the nib section (for me) is quite slippery so I roughed it up with 400 grit sandpaper. Lost the shine but still writes perfectly.

Thank you. :) I can completely understand why you would rough up the section, however it still made me cringe to read. :)

Hi officesupplygeek

First of all great review and some great feed backs, I mean it. I need all the information I can get.

I don't know where to start! First of all I am not a fountain pen user I am just like you were before you got your Lamy. I'm not someone who is writing a novel but someone similar to yourself who uses the pen for notes and some writing. You came across as someone I can relate to more, who understands our preoccupation for a pen in everyday practical applications and not just for elegant display on a writing desk! I normally like to have a pen that I can carry around a lot with me. I use the pen more for language study, reading foreign language novels, underlining words in a novel, writing down translations in margins and so on. I now find myself getting more interested in pens and want to have a pen that looks more decent and interesting as opposed to the BIC, for example.

I need my pens to be as practical as possible and you seem to be the first I've come across who may know where I'm coming from. Ever since reading Mike Shea's site on rollerballs, fountain pens and ink, I now only want to use permanent, archival ink. Here is the link:

http://mikeshea.net/Mikes_Rollerball_and_Foun.html

I'm now considering buying the Waterman Expert Rollerball because I can put the more permanent ink like that of the Pilot G2 gel refill and the Uniball 207. But now I am hesitating, not sure whether to go into fountain pens and whether they are practical enough for outside use, for offices, taking down notes etc. If I take up the fountain pen then it would have to be a fine nib, I think. By the way, on fine nibs, I've heard here on FPN that Waterman fountain pens have fine nibs that are not as fine as most other pens. Just passing on info.

Here are some questions:

Can you carry the Lamy around in your shirt/jacket pocket or bag without fear of it leaking?

How is the Noodler's ink and the Lamy? Does the ink dry fast on the page? Sorry, I think you may have already answered that question if I remember correctly.

When you are using a rollerball pen, what ink do you use - permanent?

I guess what it all boils down to is how does your Lamy fountain pen compare in practice to that of a rollerball or ballpoint pen in daily applications? Because I'm on the verge of buying a pen. My MAIN CONCERN is that I use my pen more in the category of office user. So, is the fountain still okay for that or I should stick to a rollerball?

Thanks for your review because it gave me glimmer of hope.

wolf4

Edited by wolf4

So far, so good with the PR. I also use PR Ultra Black Fast Dry (my primary note-taking ink at work) and PR Naples Blue (just because). On my Black & Red notebook at work, the Ultra Black works great and dries fast. The Chocolat and Naples Blue dry too slowly on that paper, but work very well on a variety of other papers, including my Levenger note cards.

Good to know regarding the fast dry, I was curious about that one because I, like you would be using it for note taking at work.

The blue of the Studio is so pretty that I've considered getting one. Alas, there always seems to be a pen ahead in line.

It really is a nice looking blue, that is one of the first things that drew me to it, you wont regret it when you break down and get it. :)

The only observation I would add is the nib section (for me) is quite slippery so I roughed it up with 400 grit sandpaper. Lost the shine but still writes perfectly.

Thank you. :) I can completely understand why you would rough up the section, however it still made me cringe to read. :)

Hi officesupplygeek

First of all great review and some great feed backs, I mean it. I need all the information I can get.

I don't know where to start! First of all I am not a fountain pen user I am just like you were before you got your Lamy. I'm not someone who is writing a novel but someone similar to yourself who uses the pen for notes and some writing. You came across as someone I can relate to more, who understands our preoccupation for a pen in everyday practical applications and not just for elegant display on a writing desk! I normally like to have a pen that I can carry around a lot with me. I use the pen more for language study, reading foreign language novels, underlining words in a novel, writing down translations in margins and so on. I now find myself getting more interested in pens and want to have a pen that looks more decent and interesting as opposed to the BIC, for example.

I need my pens to be as practical as possible and you seem to be the first I've come across who may know where I'm coming from. Ever since reading Mike Shea's site on rollerballs, fountain pens and ink, I now only want to use permanent, archival ink. Here is the link:

I'm now considering buying the Waterman Expert Rollerball because I can put the more permanent ink like that of the Pilot G2 gel refill and the Uniball 207. But now I am hesitating, not sure whether to go into fountain pens and whether they are practical enough for outside use, for offices, taking down notes etc. If I take up the fountain pen then it would have to be a fine nib, I think. By the way, on fine nibs, I've heard here on FPN that Waterman fountain pens have fine nibs that are not as fine as most other pens. Just passing on info.

Here are some questions:

Can you carry the Lamy around in your shirt/jacket pocket or bag without fear of it leaking?

How is the Noodler's ink and the Lamy? Does the ink dry fast on the page? Sorry, I think you may have already answered that question if I remember correctly.

I guess what it all boils down to is how does your Lamy fountain pen compare in practice to that of a rollerball or ballpoint pen in daily applications? Because I'm on the verge of buying a pen. My MAIN CONCERN is that I use my pen more in the category of office user. So, is the fountain still okay for that or I should stick to a rollerball?

wolf4

wolf4 - Thanks for the great feedback on my review, and I am really glad you found it helpful.

I think I understand where you are coming from, because as you said, it sounds like we have similar requirements and similar situations for the writing that we do.

Funny that you mention the Waterman Expert, it is a very nice pen, and I happen to have the "City Line" version of it in a roller ball. Yet another pen I have that I have not yet had a chance to do a review of on my blog. I will tell you that in my opinion that pen is really nice to write with because of its size, sturdy metal construction, and the slight upward scoop at the end of the section so that your fingers dont feel like they are going to slide off. I also love the way the cap posts to the back on this one, similar to the Lamy Studio where it has a very secure "click" when posted. One thing I didnt like about the Waterman was the ink it came with, but that is easy to fix...Ive been experimenting with different kinds of ink

Anyway, on to your questions...let me see if I can answer them for you.

I've been carrying the Studio in my bag, attached to the pen loop of my Levenger notebook for about 2 months now and never had a problem with leaking or feeling like I might have been to rough with it.

I have used the Noodler's Borealis Black, Bullet proof Black, Luxury Blue, and Tiananmen...the Bullet proof black was probably my favorite as it looks good, writes smooth, and hardly ever shows much sign of nib creep at all. The Borealis Black is similar with just a slight bit more of nib creep. I would say that the Tiananmen is also great in terms of smoothness, flow, and limited nib creep...it has a dark red, almost dry blood color to it. The only one Id stay to stay away from based on my experience with the Lamy Studio is the Luxury blue...LOTS of nib creep and it makes me a little uneasy...nice color and writes smooth though. Im sure it might be fine with other pens or nib sizes.

As for any of they drying on the page, I have found them to be very close in how long they take to dry, but I feel the drying time is more a function of the paper it is written on...but again, they all dry fast enough for my daily note taking so I have no complaints there.

I use various "nice" rollerball pens, like the Waterman City Line and regular uniball type gel based pen for when I am writing on thinner paper, or for if I am traveling...I dont want to risk/bother with the fountain pen on a plane. Or the cheaper uniball and pilot pens are also great for more precise work like note taking in small spaces or on printed meeting handouts.

At the end of the day I am glad I have all of the different pens that I do, because to your point (or at least the one I think you are making) there are plenty of times when I use it, and plenty of times I dont. I will say though that I am very glad I have it, and on the occasions I dont get to write with it, I cant wait to get back to it. It provides a really nice writing experience that you will want to take advantage of at any chance you get.

I hope that helps, I just hesitate to say that one should ever 100% commit to only one type of pen. There are too many variables, and the fun and experience of a fountain pen is well worth taking the opportunity to explore. I couldnt be happier that I decided to get mine and try all of the different inks and papers...and yes, even at work on a pretty frequent basis.

Hi officesupplygeek

Here are some questions:

wolf4

wolf4 - Thanks for the great feedback on my review, and I am really glad you found it helpful.

I think I understand where you are coming from, because as you said, it sounds like we have similar requirements and similar situations for the writing that we do.

Funny that you mention the Waterman Expert, it is a very nice pen, and I happen to have the "City Line" version of it in a roller ball. Yet another pen I have that I have not yet had a chance to do a review of on my blog. I will tell you that in my opinion that pen is really nice to write with because of its size, sturdy metal construction, and the slight upward scoop at the end of the section so that your fingers dont feel like they are going to slide off. I also love the way the cap posts to the back on this one, similar to the Lamy Studio where it has a very secure "click" when posted. One thing I didnt like about the Waterman was the ink it came with, but that is easy to fix...Ive been experimenting with different kinds of ink

I've been carrying the Studio in my bag, attached to the pen loop of my Levenger notebook for about 2 months now and never had a problem with leaking or feeling like I might have been to rough with it.

I have used the Noodler's Borealis Black, Bullet proof Black, Luxury Blue, and Tiananmen...the Bullet proof black was probably my favorite as it looks good, writes smooth, and hardly ever shows much sign of nib creep at all. The Borealis Black is similar with just a slight bit more of nib creep. I would say that the Tiananmen is also great in terms of smoothness, flow, and limited nib creep...it has a dark red, almost dry blood color to it. The only one Id stay to stay away from based on my experience with the Lamy Studio is the Luxury blue...LOTS of nib creep and it makes me a little uneasy...nice color and writes smooth though. Im sure it might be fine with other pens or nib sizes.

As for any of they drying on the page, I have found them to be very close in how long they take to dry, but I feel the drying time is more a function of the paper it is written on...but again, they all dry fast enough for my daily note taking so I have no complaints there.

I use various "nice" rollerball pens, like the Waterman City Line and regular uniball type gel based pen for when I am writing on thinner paper, or for if I am traveling...I dont want to risk/bother with the fountain pen on a plane. Or the cheaper uniball and pilot pens are also great for more precise work like note taking in small spaces or on printed meeting handouts.

At the end of the day I am glad I have all of the different pens that I do, because to your point (or at least the one I think you are making) there are plenty of times when I use it, and plenty of times I dont. I will say though that I am very glad I have it, and on the occasions I dont get to write with it, I cant wait to get back to it. It provides a really nice writing experience that you will want to take advantage of at any chance you get.

I hope that helps, I just hesitate to say that one should ever 100% commit to only one type of pen. There are too many variables, and the fun and experience of a fountain pen is well worth taking the opportunity to explore. I couldnt be happier that I decided to get mine and try all of the different inks and papers...and yes, even at work on a pretty frequent basis.

Hi officesupplygeek,

I just got your post telling me you've written something for me. Sorry, you're right I did miss your post. Thank you very much for that - it was very well explained.

I do understand what you're saying. I come off as sounding a bit neurotic because I was trying to make a decision very quickly so I can order SOMETHING soon! I got tired of not knowing what to get and spending money on a fountain pen was for me unfamiliar territory. Anyway...I'm trying so hard not to keep "nattering away".

I'm not quite sure what time it is over there where you are but over here in Italy it's now 5:30 in the bl**dy morning and I haven't gone to sleep yet! Don't worry I don't need to work tomorrow. I was just going to switch off my computer when my Hotmail announced incoming mail. I didn't want to ignore you and leave it till next morning - what am I saying, it is next morning already. So I'm just typing this quickly to let you know how much I did appreciate your post and time taken to bother writing out your details for me on the pen.

Anyway I FINALLY decided what I'm going to buy be it a Rollerbal pen or Fountain pen. I have made the order today. I decided to go for the fountain pen! I hope it's not a mistake but that's what I did. I have really looked at a lot of fountain pens on the internet and reading up so many posts like yours that my head was swimming to and fro trying to decide which pen. Then I thought to hell with it I'm going back to the Rollerball.

But, it was your post doing the review for the Lamy that made me change my mind and go for a fountain pen again and not give it up so quickly. Because I sensed you were using the fountain more for practical purposes like myself; using it for taking notes in the office and so on. Me, I want to use for it my language studies, taking notes, doing some journaling and a lot of other practical applications.

The fountain pen I FINALLY decided upon is the Pelican 400 green stripes on black with gold. There are several reasons I decided on that particular one but it would take me a little time to explain all the reasons and I REALLY want to go to bed and sleep! I decided that if I'm going to go for a fountain pen, well then I'm going to pay for an expensive one now instead of having to do it again later etc etc. Funny, I did see the Pelican several times before and I thought no, too old-fashioned looking, a bit pompous. And now I'm looking at it under different eyes and admiring it even before I have it.

By the way, I was going to go for the Lamy! No, really. Because I do like that design as well. I like things that are practical and efficient with design following from it. Also it's German made etc therefore I can say it's European and fly the flag. Just joking. So, on the last minute, I chose the Pelikan - also German - because there were some features about it that I liked. Carrys more ink, nib replacement and other factors which I forget now because I'm falling asleep!

Okay I'll "wrap" this up to say thanks for your post, really I appreciate it - I needed to know that getting a fountain pen isn't going to be a disaster. Actually there's something quaint about fountain pens that I can add it to my fondness for wine. So if I meet "una bella donna" in one of the caffès here I can offer her a glass of wine and with my fountain pen write down her phone number. Sorry...lack of sleep, I'm dreaming now.

Okay, ti lascio in pace perché adesso devo dormire (Okay, I'll leave you in peace because I must go to sleep now).

Good night or good morning to you. Once again thanks for your post.

wolf4

Hi officesupplygeek

Here are some questions:

wolf4

Hi officesupplygeek,

I just got your post telling me you've written something for me. Sorry, you're right I did miss your post. Thank you very much for that - it was very well explained.

I do understand what you're saying. I come off as sounding a bit neurotic because I was trying to make a decision very quickly so I can order SOMETHING soon! I got tired of not knowing what to get and spending money on a fountain pen was for me unfamiliar territory. Anyway...I'm trying so hard not to keep "nattering away".

I'm not quite sure what time it is over there where you are but over here in Italy it's now 5:30 in the bl**dy morning and I haven't gone to sleep yet! Don't worry I don't need to work tomorrow. I was just going to switch off my computer when my Hotmail announced incoming mail. I didn't want to ignore you and leave it till next morning - what am I saying, it is next morning already. So I'm just typing this quickly to let you know how much I did appreciate your post and time taken to bother writing out your details for me on the pen.

Anyway I FINALLY decided what I'm going to buy be it a Rollerbal pen or Fountain pen. I have made the order today. I decided to go for the fountain pen! I hope it's not a mistake but that's what I did. I have really looked at a lot of fountain pens on the internet and reading up so many posts like yours that my head was swimming to and fro trying to decide which pen. Then I thought to hell with it I'm going back to the Rollerball.

But, it was your post doing the review for the Lamy that made me change my mind and go for a fountain pen again and not give it up so quickly. Because I sensed you were using the fountain more for practical purposes like myself; using it for taking notes in the office and so on. Me, I want to use for it my language studies, taking notes, doing some journaling and a lot of other practical applications.

The fountain pen I FINALLY decided upon is the Pelican 400 green stripes on black with gold. There are several reasons I decided on that particular one but it would take me a little time to explain all the reasons and I REALLY want to go to bed and sleep! I decided that if I'm going to go for a fountain pen, well then I'm going to pay for an expensive one now instead of having to do it again later etc etc. Funny, I did see the Pelican several times before and I thought no, too old-fashioned looking, a bit pompous. And now I'm looking at it under different eyes and admiring it even before I have it.

By the way, I was going to go for the Lamy! No, really. Because I do like that design as well. I like things that are practical and efficient with design following from it. Also it's German made etc therefore I can say it's European and fly the flag. Just joking. So, on the last minute, I chose the Pelikan - also German - because there were some features about it that I liked. Carrys more ink, nib replacement and other factors which I forget now because I'm falling asleep!

Okay I'll "wrap" this up to say thanks for your post, really I appreciate it - I needed to know that getting a fountain pen isn't going to be a disaster. Actually there's something quaint about fountain pens that I can add it to my fondness for wine. So if I meet "una bella donna" in one of the caffès here I can offer her a glass of wine and with my fountain pen write down her phone number. Sorry...lack of sleep, I'm dreaming now.

Okay, ti lascio in pace perché adesso devo dormire (Okay, I'll leave you in peace because I must go to sleep now).

Good night or good morning to you. Once again thanks for your post.

wolf4

Very happy to hear that my feedback was helpful for you, and I am glad to hear you decided to try the Pelikan. From everything I've read, you pretty much cant go wrong with it. Please be sure to come back and do a review or just let us know your thoughts on it and how you are enjoying it! :)

Really nice review, OSG. I especially like the great pictures of the clip. When I first got interested in fountain pens, this is the one I thought I would buy first. It ends up I went another route, but I've always thought of going back to pick one up. I have a weakness for blue and silver pens...

Really nice review, OSG. I especially like the great pictures of the clip. When I first got interested in fountain pens, this is the one I thought I would buy first. It ends up I went another route, but I've always thought of going back to pick one up. I have a weakness for blue and silver pens...

bphollin, thanks so much for the compliments, I am glad you liked the review. I started blogging and doing reviews to work on my writing, and quickly found out my photography skills need some work too, so it really is nice to hear that you liked the pictures too.

Funny that your avatar here is the Pelikan logo because I initially looked at the Pelikan 215 Blue/Black with the silver trim (also the Lamy 2000) when I first got interested in fountain pens, but I ended up going with the Studio which I really like...but I also really like the blue/sliver look.

I have to admit to being a Lamy convert. It is a pen that I never thought I would like because I was not very fond of the design. So much for thinking! I have several Safaris and a 200 now and love them all. Thanks for this review - I LOVE that color. Congrats on making such a good choice for your first pen. Write On!

<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 --><a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.musingcrowdesigns.com'>Musing Crow Designs

Funny that your avatar here is the Pelikan logo because I initially looked at the Pelikan 215 Blue/Black with the silver trim (also the Lamy 2000) when I first got interested in fountain pens, but I ended up going with the Studio which I really like...but I also really like the blue/sliver look.

Heh. That's the pen (blue/black 215) that I went with instead :thumbup:. I've since sold it to upgrade to a M605. I highly recommend Pelikan, at any price point. Watch the sale boards, because they spring up here every so often for a great price.

Edited by bphollin

I have to admit to being a Lamy convert. It is a pen that I never thought I would like because I was not very fond of the design. So much for thinking! I have several Safaris and a 200 now and love them all. Thanks for this review - I LOVE that color. Congrats on making such a good choice for your first pen. Write On!

I notice that pattern, people who have one Lamy have many...I'm sure Ill be there one day. :)

Heh. That's the pen (blue/black 215) that I went with instead :thumbup:. I've since sold it to upgrade to a M605. I highly recommend Pelikan, at any price point. Watch the sale boards, because they spring up here every so often for a great price.

I'm getting very close to picking up that blue/black 215...glad to know that you liked yours...that helps. :)

i also recently got a studio in the brushed chrome finish

what is a similar pen that i can get that is a work horse

id also like to stay in the same price range.

i do like the pelikan 215, but are there any others?

i also recently got a studio in the brushed chrome finish

what is a similar pen that i can get that is a work horse

id also like to stay in the same price range.

i do like the pelikan 215, but are there any others?

I dont have any other suggestions, however I am jealous of your version of the studio because it has the rubberized grip/section.

This is one pen I would like to add to my collection. And you just made me want to buy it even more. Kudos.

You're welcome...and I'm sorry all at once. ;)

That is a very nice compliment though, so thank you. If you do buy it, I am sure you wont regret it, although I have to be honest in saying that it is the only fountain pen (besides a pilot varsity) that I have used, so you will notice that I didn't compare it to anything. Clearly that lack of experience has some influence on my opinion.

(snip)

goaliedad30, how does the PR ink work out for you? I am looking for something to use with mine besides the Noodler's to see if I get less nib creep.

My sweetie has this pen, and I got him a bottle of Diamine Sapphire Blue. It matches so very well. He seems satisfied with it. :-)

Where to find me:

Twitter

CountryMouse's Refuge

(snip)

goaliedad30, how does the PR ink work out for you? I am looking for something to use with mine besides the Noodler's to see if I get less nib creep.

My sweetie has this pen, and I got him a bottle of Diamine Sapphire Blue. It matches so very well. He seems satisfied with it. :-)

I might have to look at that Blue as I am not happy with the Noodler's Luxury Blue, but so far I do like the PR ink in the Studio.