The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Lamy Safari Limited Edition White

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 PENtup

PENtup

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 16:49

The review is on the scanned page actually written with the pen. Also, I have included some photos. This is my first review.

Enjoy,
PENtup

SAFARI.jpg
Photo_3.jpg
Photo_4.jpg

Edited by PENtup, 24 December 2008 - 02:47.

Sponsored Content

#2 HDoug

HDoug

First Class Forever

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,826 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2008 - 18:19

Thanks much for the handwritten review and pix. I didn't realize the ring between the section and barrel was white also. You say you use the cartridges so I'm assuming the review was written with the Lamy blue cart? It's a nice, shaded blue in your scan although I remember it as too pale in my Lamys. I also remember my M nib as way wider than yours and switched to Extra Fines and self-ground stubs.

Again thanks, and welcome to FPN.

Doug

#3 PENtup

PENtup

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 18:41

QUOTE (HDoug @ Dec 23 2008, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks much for the handwritten review and pix. I didn't realize the ring between the section and barrel was white also. You say you use the cartridges so I'm assuming the review was written with the Lamy blue cart? It's a nice, shaded blue in your scan although I remember it as too pale in my Lamys. I also remember my M nib as way wider than yours and switched to Extra Fines and self-ground stubs.

Again thanks, and welcome to FPN.

Doug

Doug,
The ring in the middle of the barrel is a darker white, almost gray as compared to the rest of the body. Also, I used the standard blue cartridge that came with the pen and the nib is just the standard medium nib. Thanks for the welcome!

Hope that helps,
PENtup

#4 diplomat

diplomat

Platinum Member :)

• Member - Gold

• 3,191 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 20:25

Hey! that's a very good way to start posting in FPN! (Welcome to the form, btw).

I like the pics a lot. Hand and pen against a total black background... from the pic is not clear but: is the nib chromed or black? In this model is supposed to be chromed but I see black in your photo.

I think the price in US should start to go down. Now the actualized value in Euros is around 20€ where here the pen is priced at 16€.

Cheers,

#5 PENtup

PENtup

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 21:54

QUOTE (diplomat @ Dec 23 2008, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey! that's a very good way to start posting in FPN! (Welcome to the form, btw).

I like the pics a lot. Hand and pen against a total black background... from the pic is not clear but: is the nib chromed or black? In this model is supposed to be chromed but I see black in your photo.

I think the price in US should start to go down. Now the actualized value in Euros is around 20€ where here the pen is priced at 16€.

Cheers,

Diplomat,
The nib on my pen is chromed but it seems black in the photo due to bad exposure. Sorry!

Best,
PENtup

#6 henrico

henrico

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 02:47

happyberet.gif My red Safari has a black nib and so has my Al-Star. Any comments?

Henrico

#7 PENtup

PENtup

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 02:50

QUOTE (henrico @ Dec 23 2008, 09:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
happyberet.gif My red Safari has a black nib and so has my Al-Star. Any comments?

Henrico

I think it varies from color to color of every pen in the lamy safari family.

#8 holgalee

holgalee

pen friendly person

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 04:32

I was told the nib colour matches with the clip. Seems true for those models I've seen so far, which isn't many! tongue.gif

#9 PENtup

PENtup

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 04:40

QUOTE (holgalee @ Dec 23 2008, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was told the nib colour matches with the clip. Seems true for those models I've seen so far, which isn't many! tongue.gif

Yes, the nib does match the clip. If the nib is plain then the clip is plain. If the nib has a gun-metal black finish then the clip has a gun-metal black finish.

#10 juderb21

juderb21

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 06:56

I bought a White Lamy Safari, Medium nib, from Century Pens in Chicago about a year ago. I am so pleased with it that I use it pretty much every day. The nib is smooth and as you said, consistent no matter the pressure you apply (pretty thick stainless steel nib). I tend to be a heavy handed writer and the nib has held up very well. The entire pen is of sturdy construction with a cap that snaps on securely and slips tightly over the barrel when posted.

The entire pen is made of smooth plastic, including the grip, which usually means for a slippery grip. But, there are two well placed cutouts for your thumb and pointer finger. These grooves have a bulge near the nib and both work well to stabilize the pen in your grip.

I've tried it with five different inks, using the piston converter (which works as well as any other screw type piston converter). All the inks worked well, though you could really see the difference in each inks character. In order of highest to lowest ink flow (but, lowest to highest color depth) are the Waterman Black, Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black, and Aurora Black. The Waterman comes out grey while the Aurora is my favorite because it is a deep black.

I have also tried the Private Reserve DC Electric Blue. Great flow and a deep, vibrant blue that is consistent throughout a stroke.

My favorite ink in the Safari though is Waterman Purple. Great flow, great color, though it shows a bit more character than the others with variations in depth throughout lines and strokes.

One complement I have for this pen is its ability to hold up to blue and purple inks. Many pens I have used stain, and you would expect a white pen to be particularly susceptible, but any color that gets on the pen usually comes right off with water.

Edited by juderb21, 25 December 2008 - 07:30.

#11 rcannonp

rcannonp

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 02:46

I got a white Safari with a 1.5 italic nib for Christmas. It goes well with my black one with the 1.1 nib. Noodler's Red-Black wiped right off – no staining.

#12 Titivillus

Titivillus

Museum Piece

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,881 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 15:29

Nice review of a great pen!

Kurt

#13 PENtup

PENtup

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 03:37

QUOTE ((bleep) @ Dec 26 2008, 10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kurt

thanks!

#14 vervavolant

vervavolant

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:13

QUOTE (PENtup @ Dec 30 2008, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE ((bleep) @ Dec 26 2008, 10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kurt

thanks!

Lamy Safari is a good writer but the only not so positive that I have in my experience with three of them is that the cap does not click securely and when using it in a chest pocket of a dress shirt, I am always afraid it will come loose. It had not happen,, but I "feel" it will eventualy happen when a sense the cap comming out so easily. Yes, I could be a little paranoid !!!!!

#15 PENtup

PENtup

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 03:28

Does anyone know what color the limited edition 2009 of the Lamy Safari is yet?

#16 OboeJuan

OboeJuan

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 965 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 January 2009 - 19:11

Yes, but I am not at liberty to divulge the information.
Why, sometimes I'd like to take a switchblade and a peppermint and a Cadillac and throw it all in a fire.

Danitrio Fellowship

#17 diplomat

diplomat

Platinum Member :)

• Member - Gold

• 3,191 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 19:33

QUOTE (PENtup @ Jan 23 2009, 04:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anyone know what color the limited edition 2009 of the Lamy Safari is yet?

There is a discussion in the WI forum: http://www.fountainp...showtopic=90953

And a poll too: http://www.fountainp...showtopic=91165

For full disclosure we would have to wait the paperworld to start, next week in Frankfurt.

Best,

#18 PENtup

PENtup

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 22:05

I guess I'll have to wait to find out then.

#19 bossy

bossy

Jesus is Lord

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2009 - 01:15

Just got a white one with silver nib and see blue ink on the bottom lip just
above the nib, something never noticed with my charcoal model. Only
happens when capped for a while.
Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right
to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers,
and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.
Revelation 22:14-15

#20 Brian

Brian

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,432 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 21:42

Nice review. AFAIK this is the second white pen in the safari line coming after an earlier pen they offered in I think, the 1990s. Interesting that a new orange safari I got now shows that the traditional cross "screw" at the cap top was replaced with a simpler top that has only a hole in it. Too bad as I really liked the old style and am sure it is a concession to manufacturing ease.

What kind of top does your new White Safari have?

Thanks for the review and pictures.

Sponsored Content

|